Protest Anthems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I'm trying to create a playlist of anthemic protest songs, the kind of music that makes you want to march in the streets and fight the power.

I'm not having much trouble finding punk, rock, and rap songs that fit the bill, but I'm hoping to widen the scope a bit more, and I'm looking for inspiring songs from other musical styles.

Folk songs are good for the protest side, but I'm having trouble finding many that seem to have the energizing quality I'm looking for. I'd love some suggestions.

And if anyone has any ideas for songs along the lines of "Do You Hear The People Sing" from Les Miserables, that's be excellent.

Any ideas?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Have you looked into the Irish folk songs? Tommy Makem's Four Green Fields is a classic rally against English rule in Ireland. (Though I once saw something online about how someone liked that song about the little old lady and her farm...)

The Scottish did some good blood-rousing anti-English songs. Parcel O'Rogues is about Scotland's affinity for English gold.

Or are you looking for anti-war songs?

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Have you looked into the Irish folk songs? Tommy Makem's Four Green Fields is a classic rally against English rule in Ireland. (Though I once saw something online about how someone liked that song about the little old lady and her farm...)

The Scottish did some good blood-rousing anti-English songs. Parcel O'Rogues is about Scotland's affinity for English gold.

Or are you looking for anti-war songs?

Nope, not necessarily anti-war. Storming the barricades in the name of liberty is excellent stuff!

I like those two, but they may be a bit sedate for what I'm looking for... I'm not sure. I'm going to include them on my tentative list and see if they get me riled up and ready for a fight when I listen to them more often!

Thanks!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I believe the song "The Cutty Wren" is all about peasants rising up and killing the lords.... which is fairly clear during the parts assigned to "John the Red Nose." It's rather rousing.
ETA:
Here's a page with lyrics: https://mainlynorfolk.info/swarb/songs/thecuttywren.html

Last edited:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I believe the song "The Cutty Wren" is all about peasants rising up and killing the lords.... which is fairly clear during the parts assigned to "John the Red Nose." It's rather rousing.

Oh, my, that IS rousing!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, my, that IS rousing!

It looked like that page might have some links that would lead you to others -- there's one called Protest Songs, IIRC.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Are you distinguishing between the ones people actually sing at protests or the ones that you feel people ought to sing, but don't? Because if they're rousing anthems but they don't get an airing for whatever reason, it's a bit of a moot point.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Are you distinguishing between the ones people actually sing at protests or the ones that you feel people ought to sing, but don't? Because if they're rousing anthems but they don't get an airing for whatever reason, it's a bit of a moot point.

Not so much those that people would sing, just those that would likely get an audience (me!) worked up if they were played.

My list so far, in addition to the ones mentioned above, includes:

We're Not Gonna Take It (I know, but - it's fun!) - Twisted Sister
I Fought the Law - The Clash
Rock'n'Roll High School - Ramones
Bad Reputation - Joan Jett
Fight the Power - Public Enemy
Another Brick in the Wall (not that rousing, so I'm not sure if it's going to stick) - Floyd
The Times They Are a Changin' (also a bit low on rousing-ness...) - Bob Dylan
Guns of Brixton - The Clash (two Clash songs? Not ideal, but...)
Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Green Day
Authority Song - Mellencamp
Get Up, Stand Up - Marley
Eve of Destruction (Forgotten Rebels version, so - rousing-er)
For What It's Worth (Low on rousing, but... gotta be there, right?) - Buffalo Springfield
Glory - Common and John Legend

I'm not a huge rap fan, so even though there are some great rap protest songs, I'm not including many. But I LOVE "Do You Hear the People Sing" and would love to have more like it, just so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb if I include it...

eparadysz

Registered
Reaction score
But I LOVE "Do You Hear the People Sing" and would love to have more like it, just so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb if I include it...

There's always the original: La Marseillaise (if that scene in Casablanca isn't rousing, I don't know what is). Or The Internationale.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
There's always the original: La Marseillaise (if that scene in Casablanca isn't rousing, I don't know what is). Or The Internationale.

Hmmm - excellent scene in a movie... I'm not sure how it would translate to a play list, but I'll give it a try!

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Not so much those that people would sing, just those that would likely get an audience (me!) worked up if they were played.

My list so far, in addition to the ones mentioned above, includes:

We're Not Gonna Take It (I know, but - it's fun!) - Twisted Sister
I Fought the Law - The Clash
Rock'n'Roll High School - Ramones
Bad Reputation - Joan Jett
Fight the Power - Public Enemy
Another Brick in the Wall (not that rousing, so I'm not sure if it's going to stick) - Floyd
The Times They Are a Changin' (also a bit low on rousing-ness...) - Bob Dylan
Guns of Brixton - The Clash (two Clash songs? Not ideal, but...)
Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Green Day
Authority Song - Mellencamp
Get Up, Stand Up - Marley
Eve of Destruction (Forgotten Rebels version, so - rousing-er)
For What It's Worth (Low on rousing, but... gotta be there, right?) - Buffalo Springfield
Glory - Common and John Legend

I'm not a huge rap fan, so even though there are some great rap protest songs, I'm not including many. But I LOVE "Do You Hear the People Sing" and would love to have more like it, just so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb if I include it...

For more modern works, have you tried Uprising, by Muse? (This song so needs to be the theme of a throwback 1980's/1990's "rebel future" movie - you know, one of those films with an evil totalitarian government that gets overthrown by rebellious, rock-n-roll-loving teens, and where animals are supposed to be dead but all the good guys wear cool leather jackets.) That one's pretty catchy.

St. Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion)
has a bit of a rebel-keep-on-fightin' theme.

aleighrose

Registered
Reaction score
Website
aleighrose.webs.com
Rush's "Bastille Day," "A Farewell to Kings," and "Something for Nothing" come to mind. There's also "Sons and Daughters" by The Decemberists if you want more folksy stuff. I might be able to think of more later.

ETA:
"This Is Why We Fight" by The Decemberists
"Fortunate Son" by Credence Clearwater Revival
"Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who
"Free to Be... You and Me" by The New Seekers
"Redemption Song" by Bob Marley & the Wailers
"Land of Confusion" by Genesis
"Beds Are Burning" by Midnight Oil
"Know Your Enemy" by Green Day
"We Weren't Born to Follow" by Bon Jovi
"Nothing Stands in Our Way" by Lacuna Coil
"Liberate" by James Durbin
And if you want an anti-war song, there's "Make Rock Not War" by Blue [FONT=&quot]Öyster Cult[/FONT]

Last edited:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Nice - I've got some listening to do!

Thanks, guys!

BoF

Cautious Daredevil
Registered
Reaction score
If you are interested in jazz, Max Roach's 1960s effort "We Insist" is a classic. On some songs Roach (a drummer and band leader) uses a human scream as an instrument.

[FONT=&#10]http://www.allmusic.com/album/we-insist%21-max-roachs-freedom-now-suite-mw0000194826[/FONT]

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
If you are interested in jazz, Max Roach's 1960s effort "We Insist" is a classic. On some songs Roach (a drummer and band leader) uses a human scream as an instrument.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/we-insist%21-max-roachs-freedom-now-suite-mw0000194826

Intriguing... the samples I listened to were all instrumental. Are there any songs with lyrics?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I Fought the Law was recorded much earlier by the Bobby Fuller Four, but the Clash did a great job with it.

The Washington Squares were a folk-revival group in the Eighties - they put out two albums, the first was just about flawless, and the second was also very good. Fantastic voices and guitars, and a drummer new-wave fans would remember: Billy Ficca, from Television.

They did a song called You Can't Kill Me, which is maybe my favorite protest song. You can't shake it.

They also do a cover of a Polish union song, called Walls - all heartache, about the brief hope of protest against the might of oppression.

Last edited:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I Fought the Law was recorded much earlier by the Bobby Fuller Four, but the Clash did a great job with it.

The Washington Squares were a folk-revival group in the Eighties - they put out two albums, the first was just about flawless, and the second was also very good. Fantastic voices and guitars, and a drummer new-wave fans would remember: Billy Ficca, from Television.

They did a song called You Can't Kill Me, which is maybe my favorite protest song. You can't shake it.

They also do a cover of a Polish union song, called Walls - all heartache, about the brief hope of protest against the might of oppression.

Damn, You Can't Kill Me is catchy! I'm still looking for a version of Walls
to listen to...

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Power and the Passion by Midnight Oil.

...Gough was tough 'til he hit the rough
Uncle Sam and John were quite enough

Short Memory by Midnight Oil

Blue Sky Mine by...

In fact, most of the Midnight Oil catalogue.

ETA: Goanna's Solid Rock

Last edited:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Great additions. guys! I'm getting a bit mixed up about who I've replied to, but I'm going through all the songs and giving them a listen - thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.