Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What writers, if any, have made you laugh?

practical experience, FTW
    Most recently, just last night, Jingo, by Pratchett. Sir Terry gets a lot of love in this thread, and deserves all of it. I've read maybe half of his Discworld novels, and of those, Jingo ranks about at the top of my list for laugh-out-loud humor, all of it with a solid point behind it.

caw
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett

PG Wodehouse cracked me up when I was eleven and he can crack me up at 60+. A couple of years ago I was staying with a family member in a hospital. I picked a book out of the book case to read while I was there and she was sleeping. The situation was far from humorous but Old Plum made me laugh out loud twice. --s6

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    I loved Martin Amis's biography of his father, Kingsley. I laughed so hard through it that I hurt. It might be a particularly literary London sort of humour, but it's one of my favourite biographies now.

James Thurber. His family is my family. Daphne du Maurier wrote a screamingly funny book about her sad family. --s6

Quote Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
    Most recently, just last night, Jingo, by Pratchett. Sir Terry gets a lot of love in this thread, and deserves all of it. I've read maybe half of his Discworld novels, and of those, Jingo ranks about at the top of my list for laugh-out-loud humor, all of it with a solid point behind it.

caw
    I was going to say Terry Pratchett too! The Discworld books are just so clever

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Senki's Avatar
    P. Howard aka. Jenő Rejtő. He is just brilliant. I don't know if anyone know him here...
    Doesn't matter how many times I read, always makes me laugh with his idiot and lovely characters.

Stephen King, in particular IT.

Lewis Grizzard
    Last edited by Cindyt; 02-14-2017 at 02:45 AM.
    Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them--Matthew 7:12

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.--Johann Wolfgang Goethe

I often think that the night is more alive and more richly colored than the day.--Vincent Van Gogh

figuring it all out
    Mark Tufo in his zombie fallout books, in particular the first one, there was rather a lot of funny comedic scenes making the book really enjoyable.
    http://www.authorellie.com

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome. Classic.

Lauren Barnholdt, when I was in grade/high school, made me laugh in every book she wrote. Two Way Street was the first book I read by her. So relatable to me at the time and her characters are so witty and have my sense of humor.
    "Every single thing that happens to you is preparing you for a moment that has yet to come."

Starting over. Current WIP: 35% complete
    The Life of the Aspiring Author

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Bret Easton Ellis

Benefactor Member
    One for the Money by Janet Evanovich made me laugh - a lot!

However the funniest novel that I ever read was called "The Horse is Dead" by Robert Klane. It was written in the 70's and I read it in the 80's but I remember howling throughout the book. I've tried to get a copy to see if it actually is as funny as I remember, and not only is it out of print but it's apparently considered a cult book and is going for over $300 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/HORSE-DEAD-Rob.../dp/0345249186
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Alison Bechdel. Leslie Lange. I need to think of other funny authors and come back to this.

Even the sphinx has eyes O_O Spooky's Avatar
    Palahniuk is pretty much a guaranteed laugh every couple pages, sometimes it's a kind of delayed response because he can be very intelligent and layer a gem, they are from all angles and depths of the comedic spectrum too, sometimes it's a despairing kind of sneer, sometimes it's an outright HA-HA primal donkey bray response. I find carol ann duffy extremely witty in much of her poetry too. Wilde and good old Will Shakes seem like cop outs but they were genuinely hilarious gents.

Mind swap robert sheckley
    Hal Spacejock anyone who has ever played traveller should chase this up.

figuring it all out
    George Carlin. By the way I love the illustration in your avatar, Demeter.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin JackSeraf's Avatar
    Definitely Jim Butcher and his Dresden Series. I read about 10 of those books in only 2 months or so. Couldn't get enough of them.

practical experience, FTW kaylim's Avatar
    I think Chuck Palahniuck is hilarious in a very dark way.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234