AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What writers, if any, have made you laugh?

Dark Gritty Reboot
    Jack Gantos.

And Shakespeare Hemmingway.

Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, Jasper Fforde, Stephen Clarke, Mark Twain
    Write on! - Schnurri

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Tom Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravioli View Post
    Herman Brusselmans nearly had me piss myself over every other sentence. His cynical, sarcastic, scathing, cruel, dark humor is just something else entirely.
    Interesting that Brusselmans is appreciated all over the world. For some reason I always considered that his work could exclusively appeal to people living in Belgium or the Netherlands. Imagine how funny it is once you can put a face on each of the media-personalities that star in Brusselmans' novels.

For those who understand Dutch, watch some of the Brusselmans interviews in De Wereld Draait Door (a Dutch television program) on Youtube. They are hilarious.

As to the authors that made me laugh: Douglas Adams and Nick Hornby. High Fidelity was brilliant for laughs. Well for way more than just the laughs actually.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Fitch; 11-12-2015 at 11:55 PM.
    Visit Intersection Diaries: the quest of a life time. And like us on Facebook.

practical experience, FTW cmi0616's Avatar
    Probably none more than David Foster Wallace, but there are plenty of others. I mark on Goodreads every book that made me "LOL" as it were. The list of authors includes:

Dave Eggers
    Samuel Beckett
    John Green
    Mary Karr
    Jonathan Franzen
    Loorie Moore
    Zadie Smith
    Howard Jacobson
    Megan Boyle
    Paul Murray
    Christopher Hitchens
    Oscar Wilde
    AM Holmes
    Don DeLillo
    Dustin Long
    Ariana Reines
    Joshua Ferris
    Philip Roth
    Gary Sheyntgart
    Keith Gessen
    Nikolai Gogol
    Stephen Clarke
    Jonathan Tropper
    Jess Walter
    Hunter S. Thompson
    Steve Toltz
    Goodreads- let's be friends!
    [/COLOR][/FONT] [/FONT][/COLOR]

Moody Floridian Bunny Latina Bunny's Avatar
    I recently found an author who actually made me giggle and laugh aloud: Sophie Kinsella.

Her Shopaholic series is like my new favorite series evah. (I need to find more chick-lit like this in the future.)

That character's shopaholic nature resonates with me; I'm a bit of a shopaholic myself--though not for clothes and shoes, but more for manga, art books, MG books, and computer/video games.
    Last edited by Latina Bunny; 02-01-2016 at 08:11 AM.

David Sedaris.
    I suppose I should think up a proper signature.

figuring it all out
    Diana Wynne Jones made me laugh out loud in public places (a pizza parlor, and the bus) in "Witch Week."

And since someone upthread mentioned Jerome K. Jerome, I have to mention Connie Willis's utterly delightful "To Say Nothing of the Dog" (a homage to Jerome's "Three Men in a Boat").

practical experience, FTW HarvesterOfSorrow's Avatar
    Stephen King, Ransom Riggs, Andy Weir, Wally Lamb.
    "He's gone! He's gone from here! The evil is gone!"

Sam Loomis
    John Carpenter's Halloween.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    For me, Lemony Snicket comes to mind. His particular brand of humor really cracks me up. I'll also second, third, and fourth Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett together with Good Omens.

Also, Tolkien does this for me, strangely. It's probably just because I find Hobbits hilarious though.

that's what it's all about.... I_love_coffee's Avatar
    The first one that came to mind is, Jen Lancaster's book from 2006: Bitter is the New Black: Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass, Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office.

This is REALLY laugh out loud, till you cry, funny. When I was reading this in public, people must have thought I was nuts.

Terry Pratchett, P.G. Wodehouse, Eva Ibbotson, Christopher Moore, Richard Armour, Douglas Adams, A. A. Milne (his fantasy/fairy tale book "Once On A Time" is especially delightful), Charles Addams, Edward Gorey, Ambrose Bierce ("The Devil's Dictionary"), Victor Borge, Umberto Eco (yes, that Eco - "Foucault's Pendulum" is a hoot!), Crockett Johnson, James Thurber...

I love humor and comedy in most forms.

ETA: If you've ever wondered what would really happen when Superman and Lois Lane finally got together, Larry Niven's essay "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" is hysterical.
    Last edited by edutton; 02-12-2016 at 12:47 AM.
    Write the change you want to see in the world!

Writing exposition is like putting red pepper flakes on your pizza - the occasional burst adds depth and flavor, too much in a lump can burn the reader out.

PREPARING TO SUB: One of the Lucky Ones (YA) - Soundtrack, Moodboard
    NANOWRIMO '17!: Stoyanovich and the Princess (MG historical fantasy/suspense, kind of)
    PONDERING: Lion of Andalus (historical)
    Twitter (barely)

not to be taken seriously LAgrunion's Avatar
    Very few books make me laugh, but because I like snarky humor, I really liked Maria Semple's Where'd You Go, Bernadette. I'm still trying to find another book like it ...

Barfing alphabets at my
    blog.

Roger Zelazny makes me laugh. Rereading the Nine Princes of Amber right now and I remember when I first picked up the Chronicles 13 years ago, how Corwin's quick wit and dry humor was such a delight. It still is! The whole first chapter sucks you in because even as you get the feeling that Corwin's a good guy, you like his fast paced back talk, almost gentle as he spins other people around the room verbally, like unwilling dance partners. I'm not sure if other people do this but I have a habit of casting actors and actresses in the roles of the books characters while reading them; I've always heard Ryan Reynolds's voice when I envision Corwin from the Chronicles of Amber.

There have been other authors that make me laugh amidst their books, like in a fantasy epic, what this one dude just said was a laugh out loud embarrassing public moment, but none like Zelazny who hooked me in because of it and kept me enthralled with a clever and witty character the entire way through.

practical experience, FTW
    Oddly enough, Stephen King. Just because the subject matter is scary and dark doesn't mean you can't find humour in it He managed a perfect balance of horror/thrill and dark humour.

Lewis Grizzard, hands down, baby.
    The only thing you can't fix is a blank page.--Bonnie Hearn Hill

BLOGS

Cindy Tapia
    Our Town
    In Loving Memory Brandon Lee

Professional Amateur Keyboard Cowboy's Avatar
    Usually every novel I pick up has at least one lol moment, which I treasure. Stephen King usually finds a way to garner a good laugh or two, regardless of his dark story lines. Ned Vizzini's It's Kind of a Funny Story made me laugh a lot. And Chelsea Handler is very hilarious.

Gary Shteyngart
    Doing the backstroke in the beer moat.

Try it, you might like it. Blogging life in the big city with Mrs Fringe.

Scribe of the girls in the basement Marissa D's Avatar
    New England but hankering for the old one
    Connie Willis, Georgette Heyer, Janet Gillespie, Mark Twain, Paul Magrs... definitely more but that'll do for starters.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Jane Austen, quite a bit in P%P but more so in my personal favorite of hers Northanger Abbey. Also a special nod to John Kennedy Toole for most of Ignatius's lines in A Confederacy of Dunces.

practical experience, FTW
    I was reading Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart in the food area of Euston Station in London (it's a fantasy set in Ancient China) and I was laughing so much that one of the waitresses remarked on it.
    I had to read Good Omens behind closed doors, I was laughing so much. And I love the Discworld books, of course.
    The Ministry of Unladylike Warfare, a Steampunk adventure by Lesley Arrowsmith is now available on Smashwords and I have a blog at http://morwennatower.blogspot.com

my list:
    Evelyn Waugh
    Hunter S. Thompson
    Joseph Heller
    PG Wodehouse
    JG Farrell
    Bertrand Brinley
    Eugene Ionesco
    Pat Conroy
    Kaufman & Hart
    B. Traven
    Thornton W. Burgess
    Larry McMurtry
    Dan Greenburg
    Woody Allen
    Damon Runyon
    Last edited by dinky_dau; 11-09-2016 at 08:53 PM.

Ideas bounce around in my head Jason's Avatar
    C.S. Lewis

For some reason in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader when the ship docks at the island of the Dufflepuds, I found the whole chapter to be so comical, I literally laughed until I cried.

Of course, I was 7 or 8 at the time!

Slogonasaurus Maximus Rex Bolen's Avatar
    Riding the winds of a rainbow towards infinity
    Murrey Hoyt, with his tongue in cheek book "The Fish In My Life" You really need to like to fish to enjoy it, however...
    Row Roe is the inspiration for my changing these one line quips
    so often... Making Row Roe laugh is my drug of choice!!!

1. It's challenging, but dating a Baseball Team gives one perspective...

2. I can't remember if I have a good memory or not...

Put me on your "To Do" list...

4. Sports taught me humility... Co-ed sports got me laid...

5. It's great that you're multi-orgasmic, but I was really hoping for a Cook?

6. I've got your back...preferably below the waist.

Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, Mary Gentle, Connie Willis (To Say Nothing of the Dog and Bellwether are especially funny, but most of her books have a certain wry quirkiness and grasp of the way the absurd so often inserts itself into very serious matters). I know there are plenty of others, but these are some of the ones that come to mind.
    Last edited by Roxxsmom; 11-09-2016 at 04:03 AM.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter AW Moderator Ari Meermans's Avatar
    Over the hill and picking up speed! Vroom.
    Another vote for Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett. Also, Rex Stout--Nero Wolfe's secretary Archie Goodwin is a snarky riot.
    Resources for Promoting on AbsoluteWrite:

How to Help Keep AW Afloat.

"Books and ideas are the most effective weapons against intolerance and ignorance." Lyndon B. Johnson

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast