AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What writers, if any, have made you laugh?

practical experience, FTW Maze Runner's Avatar
    Larry McMurtry's Godwin character in "All My Friends Are Going to be Strangers" is a laugh every time he shows up. And McMurtry's, "Anything For Billy," a take-off on the life of Billy The Kid is funny from cover to cover.

practical experience, FTW
    Meg Cabot. I remember when I was in high school and had a rough day I'd escape into her books.
    Niti Newtfinger

twitter.com/nitinewtfinger

practical experience, FTW Maze Runner's Avatar
    Oh, and I just have to add Charles Bukowski. If honesty was his first attribute, humor might be his second. Hadn't realized until this moment that that's one of the reasons why I read him. A very funny writer.

Seconding Good Omens. That's the only novel by either of them that I've read in its entirety (don't look at me like that). Also seconding Christopher Moore.

More recently I want my humor to come from the narrator's voice rather than the actual scenario, so Rick Riordan/Percy Jackson made me laugh, and Jim Butcher/Harry Dresden (which is funny because I'll harp on parts of Dresden's character to no end), and Bethany Frenette/Audrey Whitticomb. I'm so incredibly picky about actual comedy (be it on screen or on paper) that I prefer humor to be worked in sideways through the narration.
    "Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day, and on the good writing days, nothing else matters." - Neil Gaiman

In the Batman movies in the 60s, the Batmobile was designed to run on jet fuel. It looked cool and went fast but it could only run for about 7 seconds at a time. So now you know why a hyperactive project-hopping writer is called JetFueledCar.

It's not a political Twitter, but I'm a political person, so it amounts to the same thing.

Moody Floridian Bunny Latina Bunny's Avatar
    I don't think I can think of many. The only ones I can think of that made me chuckle were those who wrote those Diary of A Wimpy Kid books and the Clementine books.

It it could be my naturally anxious personality. People who are close to me, and with whom I feel comfortable with, do say I have a bit of a sense of humor, though....

I'm more visual in my humor, like slapstick humor or over-top-expressions in cartoons, manga/anime, and comic books.

I also like some stand-up comedy humor.

And some verbal or some subtle snark humor, like in some UK (or Australian) shows, like Sherlock, Agatha Christie's Poirot, Call the Midwives, and Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.

But books? Hmmm...I don't know why, but novels don't really make me laugh or chuckle. I think it's hard for me to get some humor out of written stories. I do laugh at Internet posts, but not most books.

Like, I tried to read a sample of one of Janet Evanovich's books, but I couldn't be amused by her. I think it may be the subject matter (sex) is serious business for me? Or maybe it was too subtle for me? (I also thought the boy/man the main character liked was a bit of a pervert or player, and I dislike both types of guys.)
    Last edited by Latina Bunny; 10-22-2015 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by bunny-gypsy View Post
    I don't think I can think of many. The only ones I can think of that made me chuckle were those who wrote those Diary of A Wimpy Kid books and the Clementine books.
    I forgot about Jeff Kinney (Diary of a Wimpy Kid). I read my son's copy while waiting for him at the orthodontist one day, and just about died, laughing out loud.

Slogonasaurus Maximus Rex Bolen's Avatar
    Riding the winds of a rainbow towards infinity
    Quote Originally Posted by dawinsor View Post
    Janet Evanovich
    I gotta second this one, with an added Amen... Some of her Stephanie Plum novels (especially those where the Grandmother is doing a tear) left me weak from waves of laughter...
    Row Roe is the inspiration for my changing these one line quips
    so often... Making Row Roe laugh is my drug of choice!!!

1. It's challenging, but dating a Baseball Team gives one perspective...

2. I can't remember if I have a good memory or not...

Put me on your "To Do" list...

4. Sports taught me humility... Co-ed sports got me laid...

5. It's great that you're multi-orgasmic, but I was really hoping for a Cook?

6. I've got your back...preferably below the waist.

Stand in the Place Where You Live KTC's Avatar
    David Sedaris, to the point of crying.
    **My 6th novel, PRIDE MUST BE A PLACE, releases February 6th, 2018! (LGBTQ Young Adult)
    Get Burn Baby Burn Baby today! Now on the 2016 In the Margins Book Awards List!
    I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 5 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page

Stand in the Place Where You Live KTC's Avatar
    John Kennedy Toole
    **My 6th novel, PRIDE MUST BE A PLACE, releases February 6th, 2018! (LGBTQ Young Adult)
    Get Burn Baby Burn Baby today! Now on the 2016 In the Margins Book Awards List!
    I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 5 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page

When I was ten, I read Steve Martin's book Cruel Shoes. It changed my life.

Atlanta Nights made me laugh... a lot! The quote about desert penguins was especially entertaining.
    Last edited by C.bronco; 09-01-2015 at 06:36 AM.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Terry Pratchett
    Kurt Vonnegut
    Joseph Heller
    Stanislaw Lem
    Woody Allen
    Mark Twain
    Jerome K. Jerome

caw
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett

Joseph Heller? He made me cry, but I was at a tender age.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by C.bronco View Post
    Joseph Heller? He made me cry, but I was at a tender age.
    And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier.

-- Joseph Heller
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett

practical experience, FTW cmi0616's Avatar
    The list would be too long to transcribe in its entirety. Off the top of my head? David Foster Wallace, Dave Eggers, Oscar Wilde, Lorrie Moore.
    Goodreads- let's be friends!
    [/COLOR][/FONT] [/FONT][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by C.bronco View Post
    Atlanta Nights made me laugh... a lot! The quote about desert penguins was especially entertaining.
    The part that nearly had me on the floor hyperventilating was the two friends going to dinner to have a serious discussion about things they needed to discuss seriously. That was my favorite chapter, from "the sweat smell of his sweet" to the cheeks like rosy apples with two green leaves for eyes and caterpillars for pupils.

Many authors can make me laugh once or twice in a book, but Sarah Rees Brennan does it more often than most.
    Author website
    http://www.twitter.com/lsmaywriter
    Ruling over good magic is her birthright, but ruling over evil magic is her destiny - Check out my debut novel on Amazon

Herman Brusselmans nearly had me piss myself over every other sentence. His cynical, sarcastic, scathing, cruel, dark humor is just something else entirely.
    Please help me leave this country for a better life!
    Kick an Israeli out!

"And then, Orli said she couldn't stand, I quote, the goopy Petri dish of doom that is the uncut shniedel."
    -Nadir

I didn't mention him in my previous post, since he's been mentioned several times, but I just recently read his final book and I've can't recommend Terry Pratchett enough. He is the only author who has been able to make my laugh, then cry, then laugh while crying. And not just in The Shepherd's Crown, he did this many times throughout the course of the Discworld series.
    “Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

Twitter

The Passionate Curses Series
    Curse and Tell - Urban Fantasy, 86k. Pending Rejection
    Shut Up and Curse Me - Urban Fantasy, WIP

Phillip K. Dick
    すべての武器を楽器に
    Of all instruments of war, make instruments of music

living in the past ishtar'sgate's Avatar
    Gerald Durrell.

figuring it all out Irish Whiskey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maze Runner View Post
    Charles Bukowski.
    I second this. Also, in a different way, Lee Battersby. I read Corpse Rat King and couldn't determine if he intended it to be that ridiculous or not. I'm not sure if it was good either. But I enjoyed it greatly, so I guess it was. It was certainly funny.

Reading Mary Russell (Laurie R. King) had me chuckling the whole time.

A sometimes overlooked but truly brilliant and funny book, Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis
    Urban Fantasy rules:Play Dead My Website

practical experience, FTW NateSean's Avatar
    Steve Hofstetter. There was also a frequent poster on another forum I used to frequent that had me in stitches every week. If he hasn't gone on to be an author I will be sorely disappointed.
    Here's my Wattpad. It's what I'm working on for now.
    Nathanielle Crawford

Did you see my bag? AshleyEpidemic's Avatar
    John Scalzi, Gina Damico, Jonathan Safran Foer (then he made me cry), Sherman Alexie, Jesse Andrews. For all of them I'm not just talking a little giggle, but real my boyfriend heard me downstairs laughter.
    So, I have this blog. It's here
    I tweet too.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast