What writers, if any, have made you laugh?

Schnurri

Registered
Reaction score
Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, Jasper Fforde, Stephen Clarke, Mark Twain

Tom Fitch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intersectiondiaries.com
Herman Brusselmans nearly had me piss myself over every other sentence. His cynical, sarcastic, scathing, cruel, dark humor is just something else entirely.

Interesting that Brusselmans is appreciated all over the world. For some reason I always considered that his work could exclusively appeal to people living in Belgium or the Netherlands. Imagine how funny it is once you can put a face on each of the media-personalities that star in Brusselmans' novels.

For those who understand Dutch, watch some of the Brusselmans interviews in De Wereld Draait Door (a Dutch television program) on Youtube. They are hilarious.

As to the authors that made me laugh: Douglas Adams and Nick Hornby. High Fidelity was brilliant for laughs. Well for way more than just the laughs actually.

Tom

Last edited:

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
Probably none more than David Foster Wallace, but there are plenty of others. I mark on Goodreads every book that made me "LOL" as it were. The list of authors includes:

Dave Eggers
Samuel Beckett
John Green
Mary Karr
Jonathan Franzen
Loorie Moore
Zadie Smith
Howard Jacobson
Megan Boyle
Paul Murray
Christopher Hitchens
Oscar Wilde
AM Holmes
Don DeLillo
Dustin Long
Ariana Reines
Joshua Ferris
Philip Roth
Gary Sheyntgart
Keith Gessen
Nikolai Gogol
Stephen Clarke
Jonathan Tropper
Jess Walter
Hunter S. Thompson
Steve Toltz

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I recently found an author who actually made me giggle and laugh aloud: Sophie Kinsella.

Her Shopaholic series is like my new favorite series evah. (I need to find more chick-lit like this in the future.)

That character's shopaholic nature resonates with me; I'm a bit of a shopaholic myself--though not for clothes and shoes, but more for manga, art books, MG books, and computer/video games.

Last edited:

OTurtle

Registered
Reaction score
Diana Wynne Jones made me laugh out loud in public places (a pizza parlor, and the bus) in "Witch Week."

And since someone upthread mentioned Jerome K. Jerome, I have to mention Connie Willis's utterly delightful "To Say Nothing of the Dog" (a homage to Jerome's "Three Men in a Boat").

Leeland

Registered
Reaction score
For me, Lemony Snicket comes to mind. His particular brand of humor really cracks me up. I'll also second, third, and fourth Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett together with Good Omens.

Also, Tolkien does this for me, strangely. It's probably just because I find Hobbits hilarious though.

I_love_coffee

that's what it's all about....
Registered
Reaction score
The first one that came to mind is, Jen Lancaster's book from 2006: Bitter is the New Black: Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass, Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office.

This is REALLY laugh out loud, till you cry, funny. When I was reading this in public, people must have thought I was nuts.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Terry Pratchett, P.G. Wodehouse, Eva Ibbotson, Christopher Moore, Richard Armour, Douglas Adams, A. A. Milne (his fantasy/fairy tale book "Once On A Time" is especially delightful), Charles Addams, Edward Gorey, Ambrose Bierce ("The Devil's Dictionary"), Victor Borge, Umberto Eco (yes, that Eco - "Foucault's Pendulum" is a hoot!), Crockett Johnson, James Thurber...

I love humor and comedy in most forms.

ETA: If you've ever wondered what would really happen when Superman and Lois Lane finally got together, Larry Niven's essay "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" is hysterical.

Last edited:

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Very few books make me laugh, but because I like snarky humor, I really liked Maria Semple's Where'd You Go, Bernadette. I'm still trying to find another book like it ...

vanilla

hmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Roger Zelazny makes me laugh. Rereading the Nine Princes of Amber right now and I remember when I first picked up the Chronicles 13 years ago, how Corwin's quick wit and dry humor was such a delight. It still is! The whole first chapter sucks you in because even as you get the feeling that Corwin's a good guy, you like his fast paced back talk, almost gentle as he spins other people around the room verbally, like unwilling dance partners. I'm not sure if other people do this but I have a habit of casting actors and actresses in the roles of the books characters while reading them; I've always heard Ryan Reynolds's voice when I envision Corwin from the Chronicles of Amber.

There have been other authors that make me laugh amidst their books, like in a fantasy epic, what this one dude just said was a laugh out loud embarrassing public moment, but none like Zelazny who hooked me in because of it and kept me enthralled with a clever and witty character the entire way through.

xbriannova

Registered
Reaction score
Oddly enough, Stephen King. Just because the subject matter is scary and dark doesn't mean you can't find humour in it :) He managed a perfect balance of horror/thrill and dark humour.

Keyboard Cowboy

Professional Amateur
Registered
Reaction score
Usually every novel I pick up has at least one lol moment, which I treasure. Stephen King usually finds a way to garner a good laugh or two, regardless of his dark story lines. Ned Vizzini's It's Kind of a Funny Story made me laugh a lot. And Chelsea Handler is very hilarious.

Helix Denby

Registered
Reaction score
Jane Austen, quite a bit in P%P but more so in my personal favorite of hers Northanger Abbey. Also a special nod to John Kennedy Toole for most of Ignatius's lines in A Confederacy of Dunces.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
I was reading Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart in the food area of Euston Station in London (it's a fantasy set in Ancient China) and I was laughing so much that one of the waitresses remarked on it.
I had to read Good Omens behind closed doors, I was laughing so much. And I love the Discworld books, of course.

dinky_dau

Cowabunga!
Registered
Reaction score
my list:
Evelyn Waugh
Hunter S. Thompson
Joseph Heller
PG Wodehouse
JG Farrell
Bertrand Brinley
Eugene Ionesco
Pat Conroy
Kaufman & Hart
B. Traven
Thornton W. Burgess
Larry McMurtry
Dan Greenburg
Woody Allen
Damon Runyon

Last edited:

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
C.S. Lewis

For some reason in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader when the ship docks at the island of the Dufflepuds, I found the whole chapter to be so comical, I literally laughed until I cried.

Of course, I was 7 or 8 at the time!

:)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, Mary Gentle, Connie Willis (To Say Nothing of the Dog and Bellwether are especially funny, but most of her books have a certain wry quirkiness and grasp of the way the absurd so often inserts itself into very serious matters). I know there are plenty of others, but these are some of the ones that come to mind.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett. Also, Rex Stout--Nero Wolfe's secretary Archie Goodwin is a snarky riot.