What writers, if any, have made you laugh?

Demeter

Dreaming North. Remembering Maine
Registered
Reaction score
My first choice would be Robert Benchley, the funniest writer in his, or anyone else's time. Also, S.J. Perelman and E.F. Benson, author of the Lucia stories.

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Terry Pratchett, Terry Pratchett, Terry Pratchett. :D

I also find P.G. Wodehouse good for a yuk or two.

There may be others, but those are the first names I thought of - Terry Pratchett by a mile.

I would love to be able to make readers laugh (or at least smile) when they read my work, so I plan to investigate the authors you mention, for added inspiration!

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Pratchett, definitely.

Douglas Adams.

Older Robert Asprin could be amusing. (The graphic novel trilogy he co-wrote with Mel. White, Duncan and Mallory, could be downright hilarious.)

John C. Moore's fantasy parodies can be rather amusing.

I've read one by Carl Hiaasen (the YA novel Chomp) that had some chuckle-worthy moments.

The last book I laughed out loud at was Andrew Shaffer's How to Survive a Sharknado, a survival companion for SyFy's monster movies.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dave Barry's column used to have me rolling. His novels were cute, too.

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Carl hiaasen for sure! Michael Gruber, bill bryson's walk in the woods

Demeter

Dreaming North. Remembering Maine
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! Thanks for reminding me of Cold Comfort Farm.

krinaphobia

Registered
Reaction score
Eoin Colfer, Jonathan Stroud, Douglas Adams (that man was a treasure for all humanity), and Pratchett and Gaiman when they teamed up for "Good Omens".

anastasiareeves

That weird chick everyone ignores.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasiareeves.com
I know we're mostly talking novels but, Joss Whedon. He makes me laugh, cry and scream "NO!" all at the same time. Whether it be on TV, at the movies or in comics.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
What I consider my romantic comedy trio:

• Jennifer Crusie (I laughed so much reading "Bet Me" people kept asking me what was so funny, and then looking at me like I was insane when I said it was the book)
  • Kristan Higgins (My favorite Higgins book, "My One and Only" actually makes me both laugh and cry every single time I read it)
  • Julia Quinn (I bought my first Quinn book, "Ten Things I Love About You" precisely because it had me laughing when I glanced through it at the store, and that was just the prologue)

And there's Charlotte Stein, who's an erotica writer, which isn't a genre I'd normally think to look to for humor, and she also makes me laugh.

Thelassa

From the ashes
Registered
Reaction score
Too many to mention, and some have already been mentioned. But here are some recent authors who made me laugh.

King Oblivion, PHD - "The Supervillain Field Manual: How to Conquer (Super) Friends and Incinerate People"
Drew Hayes - "NPC's"
Virginia Brown - "The Dixie Divas" series
Chris Ewan - "The Good Thief's Guide" series

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Terry Pratchett for sure.

Jonathan Stroud has also made me laugh out loud in real life.

I used to be a fan of PG Wodehouse too, but after reading 3 of his books back to back, I started finding them really predictable and formulaic. Still, I enjoyed them.

redfalcon

Registered
Reaction score
John Scalzi Redshirts. Jim Butcher Dresden files? As a kid Robert Asprin and Pierce Anthony were comedy gold.

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Douglas Adams, Dave Barry, Erma Bombeck,Baxter Black and Patrick McManus are my favs, but they're humorists. For funny authors: Mario Acavedo, Jim Butcher, Janet Evanovich, Lori. Avocado right off hand.

GoldfishObituary

Registered
Reaction score
David Rakoff! He's like Sedaris's snarkier, more misanthropic cousin and his vocabulary is enviable.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I laughed quite a few times reading John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces.

There are some funny moments in some of Robert B. Parker's "Spenser" detective novels.

Most of David Letterman's and Woody Allen's paperback compilations are worth a few laughs.

I love to read funny things in books, but I must admit that movies and TV are a lot funnier than books. I mean, I've never read a book that made me laugh like I laughed the first time I watched "Animal House" or "Big Trouble in Little China".