Best resources for writing short fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
(Please don't say "read more short fiction", that one's a given. Although if you have recommended shorts or collections of shorts to read, especially specfic, that's more than welcome.)

I have resource on resource for writing and editing and revising and publishing novels, but nothing specifically for short fiction. The difference in structure is foreign to me. Does anyone have any good articles or books they'd recommend for it?

Last edited:

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I think the reason you are not getting responses is because you state right away that you don't want people to tell you to read more fiction. However, reading short stories is the best resource a short story writer has. The other thing is that this question comes up here and there so you could probably find an older thread with more of the books on writing. But the best resource will always be reading all the fiction you can get your hands on.

Also, writing advice is writing advice. In a lot of cases, I think a lot of what's being said in the books you have about writing can translate into short story writing. There are some books about writing by short story writers, but I feel like I get more out of reading their short story collections than their writing books. Anything I could recommend would be by literary fiction writers, but it seems like that is not your thing.

Is there a reason you don't think reading more short stories is your best resource? Because it really is. I'm wondering what you think or hope to get out of these how-to-write books.

stealingvowels

They're stealing our vowels!
Registered
Reaction score
Not an article or book, but Duotrope is indispensable when you start submitting. Well worth the $5/month for a nearly unlimited look at markets for short fiction. Great organizational tool too.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
I struggled quite a lot with short fiction until I realised that the length dictated quite a lot, but also let's you get away with quite a lot.

Shorts still have a beginning, middle and end, but they *don't have to be on the page*. The shorter a piece of fiction is, the more you can imply.
Alternately, you can look at short fiction as you would a fight or a confrontation - it starts, there's a bit of back and forth, there's a turning point, it finishes.

The structure is remarkably similar. Also - the goals of the protagonist in short fiction generally have to fit your word length. If there are multiple smaller goals to fulfill on the way to their ultimate goal - either you're writing a longer story, or you've got figure out a way to jump through time without disorientating everyone.

As for Duotrope - The submission Grinder is a free version, which works equally as well.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a reason you don't think reading more short stories is your best resource? Because it really is. I'm wondering what you think or hope to get out of these how-to-write books.

I know I need to read more, I said that right off the bat. I just don't know what to read. I would love recommendations of shorts to read. I have access to about 2000 short story collections through my library. Not all of those are going to be helpful, but short of borrowing them all and returning the ones I don't like I don't know how to narrow it down.

As for what I hope to get out of these how-to-write books, that would be the same thing I get out of how-to-write-novel books: fundamentals of structure that I would never realize on my own. Like the eight-sequence structure of a novel, which I learned from an article and would never have figured out without it.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
There's a TON of great sci-fi/fantasy short fiction available for free (unfortunately, I'm probably not much help with other genres). For instance, you can subscribe to Daily Science Fiction and get a free story in your inbox every day [shameless self-promotion]including my story on Friday[/shameless self-promotion]. Other markets that publish stories online for free:

Clarkesworld
Tor.com
Strange Horizons
Lightspeed
Beneath Ceaseless Skies
Apex
IGMS
Flash Fiction Online
AE
Crossed Genres
Nightmare

and lots, lots more.

A lot of them have RSS feeds you can subscribe to using Feedly or another subscription organizer.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
When you begin by asking us not to give you the best possible resource, it's tough to know what to say. How many novels have you sold using all those how-to books about novels?

But I'll give you a somewhat different answer. The best recourse is a library. That's about the only place you can find every type of resource you're after, from, thousands of short stories to read, to help books in the .808 section.

The best way to learn how to write good short stories remains reading short story after short story after short story, writing short story after short story after short story, and submitting everything you write.

Short stories demand pretty fast writing, if you want to get really good. Write and submit one per week. Do this, along with constant reading, and it won't take long to determine whether you have the talent for writing them.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think different ways of learning to write all contribute from different angles and are definitely worth checking out to see what you find the most useful. I've learned from a combination of: Writing (duh); reading in whatever category I was writing; participating in the critique process both ways; reading how-to books; taking on-line or in person classes; and getting on the other side of it (editing, reading for a magazine of the category I was writing, judging contests of the category I was writing).

I don't know of any good how-to books on writing spec-fic specifically, but I see why you'd want to zero in on exactly what you want to write, it seems an efficient approach. You might get plenty of writerly advice just by googling it and seeing where it leads you. Or go to Amazon>Reference and Test Preparation>Writing, Research and Publishing Guides>Writing>Science Fiction and Fantasy. Sorry I don't have any more specific ideas for you.

Last edited:

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
For reading, truly an oldie but goodie is 50 Great Short Stories edited by Milton Crane. It has a nice cross section of genres, lengths, authors.

However, I'm not convinced simply reading lots of short stories will teach how to write one. I majored in writing, with my emphasis on short story, and I don't feel I have a surefire grasp on the narrative structure. I think James is right that writing and subbing is super important, and if you're really good at narrative analysis such that you can tell why a story works on your own, that's awesome. But sometimes you have to know why a story doesn't work in order to understand the whole picture. So for that, maybe somewhere that's an open forum for reading stories people post that aren't publish-quality?

I mean, I'd say take a good class, but that's a lot easier said than done.

griffins

Registered
Reaction score
As for what I hope to get out of these how-to-write books, that would be the same thing I get out of how-to-write-novel books: fundamentals of structure that I would never realize on my own. Like the eight-sequence structure of a novel, which I learned from an article and would never have figured out without it.

I find the short story form incredibly open-ended in terms of structure, so the book you're looking for either doesn't exist or only represents a narrow cross section of stories.
Structurally speaking, short stories are one step closer to poetry from where novels are. You wouldn't ask for a book on how to write poetry, I don't think.

Short stories demand pretty fast writing, if you want to get really good. Write and submit one per week. Do this, along with constant reading, and it won't take long to determine whether you have the talent for writing them.

Is there any merit to rewriting and polishing a short story? i.e. if a story gets rejected enough times, do you ever consider rewriting or is it usually better to start fresh with a new one? And this might be sort of a ridiculous question, but how does one determine whether or not they're good at short stories (other than hearing it from a respected editor)?

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Griffins, I revise/rewrite just about everything I write for one reason or another. Just because some authors flung short stories out every week or so, doesn't mean it is the only way or the best way. I've worked on the same story for a month now, getting people to read it, polishing so it'll be ready for an anthology contest.

Jetfueldcar,

On tip I have is that you read any magazine that might interest you. I just picked up a copy of a British magazine called Popshot. Their stories are no more than 2000 words long. Lots of telling in each story to move it forward. I wouldn't have known that otherwise. You'll need to tweak your approach based on the publication.

It's also a good idea to read short story collections by the same author, so you can see how they tackled certain problems. F. Scott Fitzgerald, Chekov, Hemingway, King, George Martin, etc. These guys didn't publish everything in one magazine over the course of their careers.

There are some basic guidelines for writing a short, but in the end, the rest is on you. Make it about whatever you want, however you want, for whatever you want. "Brokeback Mountain" uses an omniscient narrator. "The Most Dangerous Game" takes place over several days in multiple locations with at least half a dozen characters. The best gauge is your writer sense and your beta readers.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Read everything. Read SF, read fantasy, read literary fiction, read mystery fiction, read humor, read romance, read modern short stories, and read classical short stories. You can't bring something new to a type of writing unless you read widely outside that type of writing.

Libraries are full of anthologies and collections from every type of writing there is. Start with the "Best of the Year" anthologies, and then pick and choose at random. I can't remember who said it, maybe Ray Bradbury, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I remember someone saying, "If you want to write a good short story, you first have to read a thousand good short stories."

There are exceptions to everything, but I think this is largely true. Ray Bradbury is considered by many to be one of the best short story writers of the twentieth century. Maybe the best. Reading his book, Zen in the Art of Writing helped me greatly. So has listening to his interviews. This is my favorite Ray Bradbury talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W-r7ABrMYU

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com

Something I've found helpful: Google articles and editor interviews. I save links to the most helpful to re-read from time to time. Here are links to a good discussion of short story structure and some interviews with short story editors.

http://www.philipbrewer.net/story-structure-in-short-stories/

http://freezeframefiction.com/2015/04/13/tired-of-seeing-in-lit-mag-subs-by-nathaniel-tower/

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/editors_interview/

Good luck!

Peter DiChellis

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
When you begin by asking us not to give you the best possible resource, it's tough to know what to say. How many novels have you sold using all those how-to books about novels?

But I'll give you a somewhat different answer. The best recourse is a library. That's about the only place you can find every type of resource you're after, from, thousands of short stories to read, to help books in the .808 section.

The best way to learn how to write good short stories remains reading short story after short story after short story, writing short story after short story after short story, and submitting everything you write.

I just want to say that I did the story a week thing for over a year. It took me about three or four months to find my groove and start writing what I thought were good stories. My stories before that were okay, but it was pretty cool to go through such a big change in how I wrote so quickly. If I had only been writing one story a month or just when I felt like writing without clear goals, I think it would have taken me a year or more before I was writing decent stories.

I also submitted every story I wrote during that time. Eventually, you have so many stories out that when one gets rejected it doesn't seem like such a big deal.

Writing a story a week never felt like it was too hard or too much work to handle. I wasn't writing every day. It would usually take me three days to finish a story then I would take a day to let it sit, fix it up and send it out. Seriously, if you want the fastest way to get good at short story writing, this is it! It's called write 1/sub 1, and I think a lot of the short story writers here on AW have done it or some form of it. I would say to aim for the weekly goal. Some people give themselves more time with a story. But when you are starting out, the weekly quota really does wonderful things for your writing.

On top of the writing, I was reading a lot of short stories. I was actually reading quite a few literary journals I subscribe to before I started my short story writing mission. It's really good to read the publications you hope for your work to be published in.

I will say, I haven't published much fiction. I've been aiming pretty high with my submissions. After a few months of writing a story a week, those stories started getting personal rejections that said the editor hoped to see more work from me or that my submission was close or made it pretty far in their selection process. I also got into a fully funded MFA program. It doesn't really matter what you think of MFA programs. I know some people are not fans, but it is what I wanted to do. The writing sample I used to get in was a story I wrote after about six or seven months of writing a story every week. I honesty credit the story a week routine for me getting into the program. There is no way my earlier works were going to get me in.

I think after I graduate I will go back to writing a story a week. I've been exploring other types of writing while in school like novel, memoir and play writing. But I still write short stories fairly often. I agree with James that short stories want to be written quickly. I still finish most of my stories within a week. If I take longer than a week, the story seems to have more problems. I'm not sure why that is, but it has proven to me all too true for me.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Read everything. Read SF, read fantasy, read literary fiction, read mystery fiction, read humor, read romance, read modern short stories, and read classical short stories. You can't bring something new to a type of writing unless you read widely outside that type of writing.

Complete, absolute, total agreement here.

caw

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Creating Short Fiction by Damon Knight (the author of To Serve Man, which was also made in to a Twilight Zone episode).

Jwriter

Going places
Registered
Reaction score
I just want to say that I did the story a week thing for over a year. It took me about three or four months to find my groove and start writing what I thought were good stories. ...

I also submitted every story I wrote during that time. Eventually, you have so many stories out that when one gets rejected it doesn't seem like such a big deal.

This is just incredible. Where do you find markets to submit that many short stories? I'm filled with admiration for the stamina this must have taken.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is just incredible. Where do you find markets to submit that many short stories? I'm filled with admiration for the stamina this must have taken.

If you join duotrope or submission grinder, you'll find plenty of markets!

Status
Not open for further replies.