On Cursing and Cultural Translation

OceanMadness

Registered
Reaction score
So I wrote this book, which I guess technically qualifies as fantasy, and I'm running into some problems with the handling of cursing. This is a place without magic or supernatural abilities; it is a bleak setting with modern language. The style of the book is kind of gritty, full of sex and violence and insane levels of swearing. I already know that there is way too much cursing as it is -- I'm talking like 300 f-bombs in the completed first draft and a liberal spattering of every other curse word imaginable. I have to weed those suckers out like adverbs. But I'm really struggling with the question of what is too much.

Many of my beta readers have said the swearing removes them somewhat from the fantasy realm. There are two major cultures central to the book -- Asaltan and Levian. I kind of consider Asaltan the default/English and Levian is completely made up. So my hero, who is kinda rough, uses a ton of curses in Levian -- and people seem to like the Levian curse words a lot. They make them feel more immersed in the story. The real cursing doesn't seem to be ruining their experience of the book, but many have mentioned that they prefer the Levian.

Where I'm stuck, I guess, is I'm afraid the Levian words don't have as much emotional impact. They can't because we are not culturally conditioned to perceive them as obscene. I could go back and replace every single f-bomb with the Levian equivalent, but I'm afraid it will change the tone of the story too much. Also, it's a little weird because toward the end of the book I have a couple very explicit sex scenes and one graphic torture scene. I'm worried people will pick it up, start reading, and not realize just how adult it really is -- and that those scenes will lose something if I soften their impact. For example, there's a scene in which the hero calls the heroine a c**t, and I just don't see any other word having the same impact.

I've never written a fantasy before, and I'm sure that shows in how many fantasy rules I'm breaking here. I guess the question is where to find that balance -- should I have no modern curse words whatsoever? Half Levian and half English (Asaltan)? Only use the less offensive ones? Or just use them very sparingly?

If it's relevant, I plan to self-publish as I know this thing doesn't fit any one genre. So what the publisher will think is not really an issue. I'm concerned with the reader's experience.

Thanks!

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
I'm sure we just did this thread... whatever, it doesn't matter. Every time this comes up we go around the bush for three or four pages of posts and end up with the answer "it depends". It bothers some people, it doesn't bother others.

FWIW both Joe Abercrombie and Mark Lawrence use lots of normal modern day swearing in their fantasy books and sell truckloads of them. Do whatever you think fits your story.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm sure we just did this thread... whatever, it doesn't matter. Every time this comes up we go around the bush for three or four pages of posts and end up with the answer "it depends". It bothers some people, it doesn't bother others.

FWIW both Joe Abercrombie and Mark Lawrence use lots of normal modern day swearing in their fantasy books and sell truckloads of them. Do whatever you think fits your story.

This, basically. People who don't like swearing in fiction probably won't like your book for other reasons as well. All I can suggest (as someone who has some swearing in her own work) is to put it down for a bit and come back to it or to run it by readers who like writers like Martin, Lawrence, Lynch, and Abercrombie and see if they think your approach works or whether the swearing seems excessive, uninspired, or repetitive.

OceanMadness

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll have to look into those writers and see if what I'm doing is similar.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll have to look into those writers and see if what I'm doing is similar.

Try also The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Lots of f-bombs in that one.

OceanMadness

Registered
Reaction score
The Lies of Locke Lamora has been on my list for a while! I hear it's excellent.

Honestly, I was reading some review on Goodreads, and someone tallied up all the cursing in that book. They found 183 f-bombs. And I thought, ''Yeah. There's the book for me." :tongue

OceanMadness

Registered
Reaction score
Soo... I tried an experiment. I backed up my project and then did a find and replace. Replaced every f-bomb with nothing. Result: dramatically improved manuscript. Kinda reminds me of that famous quote:

Substitute ‘damn’ every time you’re inclined to write ‘very’; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.

He was not wrong. I had no idea how much that was bogging down my narrative.

Last edited: