How much should a part-timer charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShannonR.

<insert witty title here>
Registered
Reaction score
What do you think someone should charge for a 300-500 word blog post? I've seen a few articles about this online, but they're all talking about someone who wants to make a living freelancing, whereas I'm only going to be doing it part-time. I'd have to do some research on the topics (DIY, cooking etc) but the amount of time it takes varies from post to post so it's kind of hard to estimate an hourly rate. I've seen some say 10 cents a word ($30 a post) is fine while others say it should be about 50 cents per word (about $150) or more...what's correct?

I do have a five years of experience, but I know I wasn't being paid a good rate before.

Thanks!

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
I can't really speak specifically to blog post rates so take my (limited) experience and advice with a grain of salt. But I just went through this recently so I'll share my tips and experience.

I was going to send you to those articles you mention because I think those are a good guide. In general, don't price yourself below the market, or at least too far below. You can tweak the freelance writing advice forumlas (I like this one even though it's for web design because the formula is detailed, explained, and easy to tweak) to however much of a "full work week" you think the task is going to take. So if researching and writing the blog is going to take maybe 10 hours, and a full work week (used for the forumla in that link) is 40 hours, you can slash the final rate you get using the formula by 3/4. Don't charge full-time rates for part-time work, but don't undercut yourself either.

ETA: the above was expressed in a rather convoluted way and I think it's just going to lead nowhere good. Basically, figure out your minimum need. So if a project takes 10 hours out of 40 needed, you need 30 more hours of work or a higher rate to break even.

Always remember that a.) you are a skilled, professional practitioner of an in-demand craft (and yes, yes, writing is looked down on by all kinds of companies but yes, they have to pay for it if they want good writing, and they do, ultimately), b.) as a professional (you have other work and other tasks even if they're your own) your time is valuable and you need to be compensated, and c.) when a writer charges way, way less than market the client assumes they're going to get shit work and/or doesn't care (which is worse), and that writer is basically telling clients it's OK to do this to other professional writers. Don't torpedo your industry--it's bad networking voodoo.

Example I can use because--Hallelujah!--the project I ran this for just fell through, as indie gamewriting gigs are wont to do: I took a rough estimate for what an entry-level game writer makes in a studio and used that as a target salary (not actually, but more on that below). Then I worked out an hourly rate based on a full work week minus vacation and adding overhead+expenses+etc.--see the link. Now I know pro rates, and I checked these against some specific rates posted by writers in other places for the same sort of work (so in my case, narrative design and scriptwriting for interactive, which requires 10x more time than scriptwriting for film because of the non-linearity; in your case, blog articles as similar as you can get to what you're writing). Then I did some math-fu based on the interview I did with the client, figuring out how long the task was likely to take each week. This requires some self-knowledge of one's own process. For the straight writing, I just looked at the timelines for the various one-act plays I'd written, which are a similar length. I wiggled a bit for expected revision and so on. This client also wanted consultation time, which is hairy, so I worked out a base # of hours for that and ended up at about 2/3s of a work week, which was WAY more than I had expected it would be before I ran the numbers. Run the numbers.

Now, this client was a start-up run by a friend of mine. I loved their project. I know what start-up game funding is like and knew they couldn't pay me pro rates. So I did some more research, ran some more numbers, and worked out how much of that hourly rate I could hive off into a flat episode fee that would save the client some money if it took them a long time to implement the actual script (in games, it ALWAYS takes a long time to implement the script and nobody ever budgets for it). I also looked at my estimated hour counts and figured out how much I would have to cut to make the hourly consulting rate appealing to that kind of client. The important takeaway of doing that was that I knew, going into negotiation, how my rates reflected the hours and needs of the project. That way, I can say, "Well, I can go lower, but I'll only be able to make X hours of meetings a week." This is both respectful to a client trying to budget how much they're going to have to pay and also respectful to yourself by making sure you get paid for the amount of work you actually do. Of course then their funding hit a wall and the whole thing is currently adrift for the time being. These things happen.

Prior to that point, I didn't have any idea of what I'd charge, ever, for a freelance project. This made for an awkward moment during the interview where I gave a swift mea culpa and promised to work something out quickly and get back to them. Doing this process--even all the adjustments--took me about 4-5 hours and was TOTALLY worth it just for the knowledge I gained doing it.

Remember that this may be wildly, wildly different in your industry and market and everything I've written may not apply at all. If others experienced with writing for content sites contradict me, go with them. I just think this is a useful process to have in one's arsenal.

Good luck!

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand why your decision to work full- or part-time at something would affect your rate, when the rate isn't a salary.

Cutting a rate because you're not doing it full time doesn't do anything but lower pay expectations for everyone. Part-time workers at, say, retail establishments don't get less pay per hour than full-time workers.

As for the rate, I wouldn't go below $.50/word for even a low-rent online-only pub. That, to me, is a way rate changes. I've had friends who write for big-name mags that pay very well, multiples of standard rate, but a lower-tier mag may only pay standard. How many pieces you produce a month doesn't change the rate for either market though.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, go with cornflake on this.

My example is perhaps not as helpful as I hoped in that it's heavily tailored for a project that had other appealing factors, e.g. portfolio piece, cool idea, working with people I know are professional and solid, etc. I also knew they couldn't make the full rate so I made sure I could negotiate from a position of knowledge, at least. And even then, this was close to my first time so I'm sure I've made mistakes along the way which I will iron out in the future.

The benefit of doing the exercise is to work out what your minimum livable wage is, and how many hours of work you need to meet it. If you know you a project is going to eat only 30 hours and you need 40 hours to reach a salary that makes rent, you might consider upping the rate.

I do agree that, in principle, if you get a 30 hour contract you wouldn't cut the rate to 3/4 of market. I may have phrased that badly, blurgh. You would go full rate, take what you get, and look for extra work to make up the additional need you have. It all starts from knowing your own needs. That was the big eye-opener for me and it's basically a personal budgeting exercise, and one I wish I'd done way sooner.

ShannonR.

<insert witty title here>
Registered
Reaction score
I made the distinction between part and full time because the other sites I saw talked about things like paying for overhead, health insurance, accountants, etc. I had to do this when I was single and sold insurance (never again...), but now I'm married and my husband works as well. I'm not depending on this income as much as I did when I was single.

I thought about $.50 a word but I wasn't sure if that was too much. I remember I once made a bid on a freelance project like this when I was brand-new and the person who posted the job essentially laughed me off the screen and told me that the going rate they paid was $.04 a word. I wasn't sure if I had bid too high or if that person was just trying to get work as cheaply as they can get it. I guess the latter is true!

Cornflake, I love that picture! I have a Christmas card with a couple of friends posing with Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner at a sci-fi convention here in Atlanta several years ago.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I made the distinction because I don't have to pay for stuff like health insurance, overhead and accountants to file my taxes like the other websites suggested since I'm married an my husband works as well. I thought about $.50 a word but I wasn't sure if that was too much. I remember I once made a bid on a freelance project like this when I was brand-new and the person who posted the job essentially laughed me off the screen and told me that the going rate they paid was $.04 a word. I wasn't sure if I had bid too high or if that person was just trying to get work as cheaply as they can get it. I guess the latter is true!

Cornflake, I love that picture! I have a Christmas card with a couple of friends posing with Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner at a sci-fi convention here in Atlanta several years ago.

Again though, your personal circumstances shouldn't change your pay rate unless you're Steve Jobs working for $1 a year.

If you were applying for a job as an accountant, and the firm paid $75,000 a year for that position, would you say, 'oh, you can pay me only $40k for doing the same job every other accountant at the firm is doing for $75k, because I'm on my husband's insurance and stuff? The other accountants would find a way to hide your body after they killed you, when the firm fired them all and hired new accountants at $40k a piece.

If you took a Christmas retail job would you say, 'it's ok, you can pay me just half of minimum wage?'

That person was trying to get slave labour, basically, which a TON of people online do and sometimes succeed at. When people take those rates, it hurts us all.

This seems especially relevant here.

I'm jealous of your friends, heh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.