How to Decide to Self Pub or Trade?

kyWrite209

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a novel written that I'd like to get published, but I don't know which way is better for me. There are pros and cons to both sides, obviously. My novel is in a genre that isn't exactly hot in the TP worlds (YA Historical Fiction) and I don't have a platform from which to garner a lot of sales (like a popular blog). I'm worried about getting lost in the sea of SP works on Amazon, but I'm not sure I like the waiting period and having to work with an agent et al if I were to chose TP.

I feel like this debate changes very quickly, along with the market, as only a few years ago almost no one read SP books because they were perceived to be total crap (and plenty were) but that's not the case anymore. So while there probably are a few threads about this already (I only found two), the info would be outdated in some ways.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think it goes beyond just genre. I would ask:

What are your goals, professionally, personally, financially for this book?--specifically (tangible outcomes, dates).

What is the target audience for your book?--Age, nationality, culturally, what other books do they read, what other interests do they have, what are the themes?

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Howdy, and welcome.

There's a third path, of course. Hybrid publishing, along the lines of Booktrope, and a few others. It's traditional in that you've got a publisher behind you, but it's non-trad in that everyone gets a cut of the book's profit.

If it's truly not a hot market for traditional publishers (and I don't follow markets well enough to know what's trending), then that sort of answers your question, doesn't it?

You might research some of the books on this list to see who published them. It was the first hit for a Google search of "YA historical fiction."
https://www.goodreads.com/genres/young-adult-historical-fiction

kyWrite209

Registered
Reaction score
What are your goals, professionally, personally, financially for this book?--specifically (tangible outcomes, dates).

My goals are varied. It would be nice to make a bit of money, but I'm trying to be realistic. I'd just like to get my book out there at the moment, since I'm not yet sure if I'm going to write more or not. My book is pretty much ready for publication. It should be ready in a month or two

What is the target audience for your book?--Age, nationality, culturally, what other books do they read, what other interests do they have, what are the themes?
The target audience, technically, are teens interested in historical fiction, but as many adults read YA, age doesn't really matter. The time period and place of the novel is one not often written about (or ever, that I've seen), so there might be a group of people who would like to read about something completely new. All HF these days is Roman or Tudor England (though the latter is going out of fashion), and my story is from the point of view of a native Peruvian. Not many books about that, so that's who my general audience would be. As for nationality and culture, etc, I'm aiming for just about anyone who reads English and is interested in this topic. I don't have a specific culture in mind.

@cmhbob, I've never actually heard of hybrid publishing before. I'll definitely look into it. Is Booktrope the company you would suggest?

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I just signed with them, and there are a couple of other AW members there as well, so take any endorsement with a grain of salt.

I think Entangled is another hybrid.

One article from my research: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidvinjamuri/2014/01/08/how-hybrid-publishers-innovate-to-succeed/

Things to consider when looking at a hybrid: http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...-all-hybrid-publishers-are-created-equal.html

Keep in mind thought that any publisher that wants you to pay up front is not a hybrid, they're a vanity press, and you should run.

With self-pubbing, you're fronting the money for a cover, for an editor, and you're completely on your own with marketing. At Booktrope (I'm with their Gravity imprint), I've got some 250+ other writers who can help me with marketing. The cover artist, editor, proofreader and book manager have all been vetted by other people, and so I get to choose from a select group of people. Since no one gets paid until the book sells, we're all pushed hard to put forth our absolute best effort.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
No, Entangled doesn't follow that publishing model.

And, for clarity, kyWrite, this is not what people generally mean when they talk about hybrid publishing. For most authors, being hybrid means an author publishes some books through publishers and self-publish other works.

I sincerely hope the people trying to use the word 'hybrid' to refer to something different find another word to use, as this word is already taken.

Reaction score
There is also Kindle Scout

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/about

Kindle Scout is reader-powered publishing for new, never-before-published books. It’s a place where readers help decide if a book gets published. Selected books will be published by Kindle Press and receive 5-year renewable terms, a $1,500 advance, 50% eBook royalty rate, easy rights reversions and featured Amazon marketing.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
You should also consider whether or not you want to be a publisher, with all that that entails. If you want the best for your book, that will mean substantial time (and money) spent getting the book edited, finding an artist who can do a commercially sound cover, trying to get reviews, figuring out distribution, etc etc It's a big undertaking if you want to do it right.

TalanaRay

Registered
Reaction score
You could search for a small press that specializes in historical or historical YA and maybe tap into their market. It may be hard to find an agent for this project if it's too niche (you can try first of course), but then you could trunk it and try to get representation with something else. Your agent would then be able to sell previous works you've done.

DanaeMcB

Curious turtle
Registered
Reaction score
I understand that most small publishing companies don't require you to have an agent. You can submit manuscripts directly. They may have a shorter time frame than big publishers on getting books into the world, also, though I really don't know anything about that. I'd suggest you give this route a try, unless you're really interested in doing all the work of self-publishing (like shadowwalker said.) You could put a time limit on it, say, query publishers for a month or two, and if no one bites, go for self-publishing. The fact that you said you're not sure if you'll write another book makes me think that you wouldn't want to spend time learning all the related marketing techniques.

HistoryLvr

Add Salt to Taste
Registered
Reaction score
This is a decision I am struggling with too. There are pros and cons to both sides and it really depends on what you want to do. If you want to get your book out there so you can tell people you published your book, then SP probably is the way. If you want to put out the best quality product, then TP is probably the way. Hybrid publishing sounds like a good middle ground, from what little I know. The only thing that bothers me about it is you won't get a very high percent. To me, a writer, I feel like I/we do the most work in actually creating the product in the first place, so only getting 35-40% of sales seems low when not TPing.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
From what I know, most teens don't read ebooks. Self publishing is almost entirely ebook based, and generally not worth the cost of getting it out in print as well. I would steer clear of SP for any YA fiction (that's why I chose to stick to TP). Especially because YA fiction is such a hot market for TP. Teens don't need ebooks or ereaders because they have hundreds of books geared to them.

On the other hand, I don't think your book is too niche. I followed the last #MSWL and there were plenty of agents, some of them specializing in YA, looking for HF from POC cultures and non-Western settings. I think you could find an agent for this book, and that agent could find you a publisher.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
If you want to get your book out there so you can tell people you published your book, then SP probably is the way. If you want to put out the best quality product, then TP is probably the way. Hybrid publishing sounds like a good middle ground, from what little I know. The only thing that bothers me about it is you won't get a very high percent. To me, a writer, I feel like I/we do the most work in actually creating the product in the first place, so only getting 35-40% of sales seems low when not TPing.

I think you're working under a few assumptions that are misguided at best, or based on inaccurate data.

1. SP books can be of equal or superior quality to TP books. I'm not sure if you're referring to physical attributes like paper quality or editing/cover, etc., but in all respects, the best SP books can compete with TP books. It all depends on how much work the SP author is willing to put into his/her product.

2. Just taking Amazon as an example, you get 70% of list price for royalties for e-books priced at or above $2.99. The 35% royalty applies to books priced below $2.99. For print-on-demand books, the royalty is whatever you determine by setting your own list price.

3. I'm not as familiar with TP contracts as I used to be, but I believe 10-15% of net would be in the normal range...maybe less, depending on the publisher.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I think you're working under a few assumptions that are misguided at best, or based on inaccurate data.

1. SP books can be of equal or superior quality to TP books. I'm not sure if you're referring to physical attributes like paper quality or editing/cover, etc., but in all respects, the best SP books can compete with TP books. It all depends on how much work the SP author is willing to put into his/her product.

2. Just taking Amazon as an example, you get 70% of list price for royalties for e-books priced at or above $2.99. The 35% royalty applies to books priced below $2.99. For print-on-demand books, the royalty is whatever you determine by setting your own list price.

3. I'm not as familiar with TP contracts as I used to be, but I believe 10-15% of net would be in the normal range...maybe less, depending on the publisher.

Most larger publishers pay royalties based on cover price, not net, so % of net wouldn't really apply to them. The smaller publishers I work with pay 40-50% of net.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
I think some people are confused about hybrid publishing. Hybrid publishing is when an author does some self-publishing and some traditional publishing. My literary agency, Trident Media Group, does hybrid publishing. They assist their authors with self-publishing and also rep us to traditional publishers.

Also, I agree with JetFuelledCar. There is definitely a market for YA historical fiction. I would take the time and try to find a small publisher or an agent. I started with small publishers and eventually landed an agent who is repping me to the Big 5. Just believe in yourself, write what you love and write the best books you can write.

KiwiLady

Registered
Reaction score
I started with small publishers and eventually landed an agent who is repping me to the Big 5. Just believe in yourself, write what you love and write the best books you can write.

It's really inspiring to hear this sort of thin, especially since I decided to go with a small publisher - there is still hope for me yet. Good advice too about writing the best books you can.

AnthonyP

Here to help
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bookcovercafe.com
As someone who regularly chats with friends and colleagues who are agents and editors at trade publishers, the chance of being picked up by a trade publisher with no platform and just one book is incredibly slim. They can only take on a couple of new authors every year. Look at it like a business from the 'publishers' perspective. It's less risky to take on a new book by an established author, or a new author with an established platform. It's just business, not personal.

A new author with no platform, makes it an incredibly hard sell for the in-house editor, pitching to the sales team who makes the decision. It's deemed as too risky and the publisher needs to make money.

Instead...

Do what many authors are doing, which is self-publishing, making sales and having the publishers come to them because the author now has a proven track record of sales. That's all the publisher cares about. Sales or the potential of sales.

Now the question is, if you're making those sales numbers, why would you want someone dipping their hand in your pocket after the hard work is done?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
As someone who regularly chats with friends and colleagues who are agents and editors at trade publishers, the chance of being picked up by a trade publisher with no platform and just one book is incredibly slim. They can only take on a couple of new authors every year. Look at it like a business from the 'publishers' perspective. It's less risky to take on a new book by an established author, or a new author with an established platform. It's just business, not personal.

A new author with no platform, makes it an incredibly hard sell for the in-house editor, pitching to the sales team who makes the decision. It's deemed as too risky and the publisher needs to make money.

And yet it happens all the time.

Instead...

Do what many authors are doing, which is self-publishing, making sales and having the publishers come to them because the author now has a proven track record of sales. That's all the publisher cares about. Sales or the potential of sales.

Now the question is, if you're making those sales numbers, why would you want someone dipping their hand in your pocket after the hard work is done?

Sure. If you're making those sales.

But before that, there's the editing, the covers, the PR...and no guarantee of success.

LSMay

Registered
Reaction score
My logic for choosing self-publishing went a little like this: the book is ready now. I can have it up and for sale now, and the next one out in time for Christmas if I self publish.
Or, if I try traditional publishing, it might take me months to find an agent (if I can at all.) Then the agent has to find a publisher. Then I have to rewrite based on the editor's thoughts. The first book might be out in two years? The second at least a year after that - if they had enough faith in me/ I made enough sales for them to go for book 2. And after all that I may hate the cover, or end up doing something to the story that didn't fit with my vision for it.
Will those extra two years' sales make up for the (reportedly small) amount of marketing a publisher would do for me? I'll never know.

Last edited:

AnthonyP

Here to help
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bookcovercafe.com
My logic for choosing self-publishing went a little like this: the book is ready now. I can have it up and for sale now, and the next one out in time for Christmas if I self publish.
Or, if I try traditional publishing, it might take me months to find an agent (if I can at all.) Then the agent has to find a publisher. Then I have to rewrite based on the editor's thoughts. The first book might be out in two years? The second at least a year after that - if they had enough faith in me/ I made enough sales for them to go for book 2. And after all that I may hate the cover, or end up doing something to the story that didn't fit with my vision for it.
Will those extra two years' sales make up for the (reportedly small) amount of marketing a publisher would do for me? I'll never know.

Yes LSMay, all good points regarding the turnaround times. Definitely something to consider for authors.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They can only take on a couple of new authors every year.

<<snip>>

<<snip>>

Do what many authors are doing, which is self-publishing, making sales and having the publishers come to them because the author now has a proven track record of sales.

I'm sorry, but this is so over-stated as to be - well- kind of rubbish. In fact, it's so overstated, I'm inclined to wonder if you're about to offer the board your assistance in steering them towards a low-cost publishing package that treats you like family.

Yes, publishing is a business. No, that doesn't mean it's a closed shop. Trade pub and self pub are both legitimate choices for different books or different authors with different approaches.

AnthonyP

Here to help
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bookcovercafe.com
It's not the case 100% all the time. I think that's common sense. What I described is very common and an accurate description of how publishing companies work. Just providing some added insight. I'm all for traditional publishing, if you get in, fantastic! Truly. I have friends who are traditionally published, they just went through the side door, rather than the front which is jam-packed of competition.

More specifically, self-publishing is one of those side doors.

To me, that's smart. There are other ways to get in if you're gunning for a traditional deal. Find ways to reduce the publishers risk to take a chance on you.