WDBJ7 Reporter Killed On Air

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
This is horrible. The video, thankfully, doesn't show them being killed. You can hear shots and the reporter screaming, but the graphic nature of the video is in the immediacy of it, not in what you can see or deduce from the clip.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jesus wept.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read the accompanying article and did not watch the video -- what was the story they were reporting on? And did that relate to their murders or was this one of those random things?

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
This is horrible. The video, thankfully, doesn't show them being killed. You can hear shots and the reporter screaming, but the graphic nature of the video is in the immediacy of it, not in what you can see or deduce from the clip.

:20 shows the shooter.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I read the accompanying article and did not watch the video -- what was the story they were reporting on? And did that relate to their murders or was this one of those random things?

It was just a little community piece on the area of Smith Mountain Lake (I've been there. It's gorgeous.) The reporter is talking with a local official about promoting tourism in the region. Shots are fired and the cameraman lowers the camera, presumably to run. There is a moment of feet and jostling, while all three people try to get clear of the shooter. The reporter is screaming, but it's not in any way clear that she's been shot or when, specifically, that would have happened during the volley. Of course, she was shot, and fatally. It's just not on camera, and the audio doesn't give any indication. That would have been even more horrible for her loved ones. The clip is about 20 seconds long and they cut immediately away to the anchor in the studio who has no idea what to say about what just happened.

I don't know if they've even caught the guy. I need to go check. No telling if it was random by what we know from the video.

Last edited:

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Both members of the team died - Alison Parker and Adam Ward :( (eta: the woman they were interviewing, from the local chamber of commerce was also shot in the back of the head. Current reports say she's in surgery.)

For fuck's sake, America...

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see. What I've read indicates that no one knows anything, pretty much. I am going to hazard a guess that the motive was an insane one, having to do with generating the shock such a video would (will) produce in viewers, and had nothing else to do either with the story being reported or the individuals who were killed. It was a handy place to lurk and wreak havoc.

That's my guess.

Last edited:

ericalynn

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely horrifying. I didn't watch the video, but am keeping up with the updates on twitter as they come in...just terrifying, and tragic.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
I am so very tired of people being shot while going about their lives.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just Another Day of Sudden Death in the Land of the Gun

I've seen a thousand pretty young reporters like Alison Parker doing stand-ups on television a thousand times. These are usually the softball, slice of life, non-news stories every station uses to fill time between the hard stuff, weather and sports.

I've seen 'em a thousand times. I've never seen a pretty young reporter murdered on live television. I've never seen a cameraman's last act is film his killer.

Whenever you think you've seen it all you get a nasty reminder you haven't seen anything yet.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reports are that it's a disgruntled employee of the station - Cops are chasing him down.

Vester Flanagan. Apparently a former reporter for the station. Here's hoping he dies of something horrible.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Twitter worked fast. That account is suspended.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score