Baby bit by venomous snake

Caters

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
But I will never be able to drive because my reaction time is too slow for that. I have an analytical mind and so I can't do the split second thinking needed for driving. And I would never marry a reckless driver.

The reason I am particularly worried about snakes is not that I don't like seeing them. I love reptiles just as much as I love mammals. It is just that venomous snakes are very common in the US unless you are talking about cottonmouths and coral snakes. But the most venomous snake in the US(the rattlesnake) is very common. So common that it is found in almost every state including Ohio. And there are 30 something subspecies of rattlesnakes, some with a very neurotoxic venom and others with a very hemotoxic venom. Some have little control over how much venom is in a defensive bite whereas others are more likely to have dry bites as a defense. But overall the rattlesnake is one very venomous snake unlike the copperhead which is much less venomous.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm confused about a few things.

You say 'when [you] move' with your parents, and say you won't be able to live without their support. I get not being able to live independently, that's fine, but I don't get the moving - like are they planning to move, or do you mean if your future husband wanted to move, your parents would go along?

If you can't really live independently, wouldn't a husband take care of the support aspect, negating the need for parental involvement?

Also, wouldn't a lot of knitwear sort of protect from snake bites?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, wouldn't a lot of knitwear sort of protect from snake bites?
I've tried that - but honestly, you can't dress snakes in knitwear. They just wriggle out through the sleeves.

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
I was actually thinking more of other people around you on the road, not yours or your hypothetical husband's driving ability. And you still havent explained why you're concerned about snakes over other, more common causes of infant mortality.

Side note: a kid (maybe 5?) was bitten by a rattler earlier this year in Denver. His mom called 911, kid made a full recovery. You don't need antivenom or special skills. Just call 911.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
But I will never be able to drive because my reaction time is too slow for that. I have an analytical mind and so I can't do the split second thinking needed for driving. And I would never marry a reckless driver.

In a two-car accident, it's quite likely that one driver is not reckless, but merely the victim of another's reckless driving. Or both may be safe drivers, but equipment failure or road conditions create the danger. Being a safe driver may reduce the odds of being in a collision, but cannot eliminate it.

As for rattlers, they may be in many states, but not everywhere. In my state, you're far more likely to meet them east of the mountains than on the wet west side.

And you claim not to have a phobia, but this looks like an obsession of some sort. If you consider your biggest risk in a desert survival scenario to be "Do I have antivenom?" and not "Do I have water, food, and shelter, so I don't die of dehydration, starvation, or exposure?", your concerns seem a little... skewed. In your research, you seem to focus on the bad - the types of venom, the snake ranges - and dowplay the good - snake bite deaths are relatively rare, snakes do not tend to actively stalk human children, personal experience in this very thread shows that a little common sense in snake country goes a lot further than packing antivenom around.

Again, I hope you have someone to talk to offline about your concerns, as this kind of thinking and scenario-building can't be good.

Caters

Registered
Reaction score
Well I wouldn't like it if I was bit by any animal, especially one that is venomous. I wouldn't be so worried about being bit by a garter snake for example. But a venomous snakebite I would definitely be afraid of and for good reason. Sure lots of people survive venomous snakebites but about 5-15 in the US alone die from venomous snakebites per year. And most of those deaths are from rattlesnakes. There has only been like what, 1 copperhead fatality in the past few decades? But rattlesnake deaths go even higher. The reason for that is that rattlesnakes are developing stronger venoms as we are developing stronger antivenoms.

So if I would want to avoid being bit by a venomous snake even more than I would by some other animal and venomous snakes are very common in the US then it would make sense that I would be very afraid of my future children being bit by a venomous snake.

And as far as the move is concerned, my parents are planning to move within the next few years.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I was actually thinking more of other people around you on the road, not yours or your hypothetical husband's driving ability. And you still havent explained why you're concerned about snakes over other, more common causes of infant mortality.

This. People...just...don't understand risk.

#notallpeople, obvs.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So if I would want to avoid being bit by a venomous snake even more than I would by some other animal .
Well, sure - but what about guns and cars and bad dental care? The statistics for those are much worse than the snake thing.

Caters, do you mind me asking how old you are (just in a general sense. Under 15? Over 30? 20 - 30?)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well I wouldn't like it if I was bit by any animal, especially one that is venomous. I wouldn't be so worried about being bit by a garter snake for example. But a venomous snakebite I would definitely be afraid of and for good reason. Sure lots of people survive venomous snakebites but about 5-15 in the US alone die from venomous snakebites per year. And most of those deaths are from rattlesnakes. There has only been like what, 1 copperhead fatality in the past few decades? But rattlesnake deaths go even higher. The reason for that is that rattlesnakes are developing stronger venoms as we are developing stronger antivenoms.

So if I would want to avoid being bit by a venomous snake even more than I would by some other animal and venomous snakes are very common in the US then it would make sense that I would be very afraid of my future children being bit by a venomous snake.

And as far as the move is concerned, my parents are planning to move within the next few years.

Here's why it doesn't make sense. Let's go in the middle and say 10 deaths a year. There are about 300,000,000 people in the U.S. So 10/300,000,000 gives you a 1 in 30,000,000 chance of dying of a snake bite. Let's say, for argument's sake, half the people killed handle snakes on the regular. So now your chance is 1/60,000,000.

There are about 100 children a year in the U.S. who are victims of stranger abduction and violence. That is, as you note, very rare, yet it's much more likely, statistically, than your kid being offed by a snake bite.

Kids are killed by falling furniture and dog bite way more often than either of those things.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
But you can never be too prepared for something that might or might not happen. And with my great long term memory I might remember how to treat an infant with a snakebite, especially if I keep it written down in a notes program on my phone.

And yes I realize that this is a writing forum but this is also where I posted all my alligator related stuff so it kind of makes sense that I would post about preparing for when my children get a snakebite as infants if it happens in the same place.

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself here. First of all, you're sixteen and won't be having a kid for many years. And if you're living with your parents and/or the child's father when that time comes, they'll be able to help you too.

I don't know what part of the world you live in, but we have Western Pacific rattlesnakes here in the central valley of CA. While I'm sure it happens occasionally, I've never known anyone whose child has been bitten by one. The most common snakebite victims are drunk guys who are daring each other to touch a snake, rock climbers or hikers who put their hands on them or step on them, and people who live in rustic areas and are clearing brush or something like that. Generally speaking, sturdy boots and gloves in snake country is good protection, as is moving slowly and being observant. One slithered across the trail in front of my husband and me when we were hiking with our dogs recently, and we kept the dogs on short leashes and waited for Mister Rattler to go on his merry way.

They actually don't want to waste their venom on us, as its primary purpose is obtaining prey. A rattlesnake won't be able to hunt for a while after it empties its venom sacks, so they've evolved to bite only as a last resort.

These snakes don't come into suburban yards unless they're adjacent to brush-filled open space (keeping the brush cleared around your property is helpful here). And you wouldn't be leaving a baby or toddler out by itself in such an environment. Older kids can be taught snake safety.

Once you are ready to have kids, they have parenting and first aid classes you can take that will teach you about various risks and how to reduce them.

And I am saying this in all kindness--obsessing about this kind of thing right now is not doing you any favors. If you can't control these anxious thoughts, it might be a symptom of an issue you should get some help with. I am prone to anxious flights of fancy too, and I know how destructive they can be. You may want to talk to your parents about this, or to your physician.

Caters

Registered
Reaction score
Well, sure - but what about guns and cars and bad dental care? The statistics for those are much worse than the snake thing.

Caters, do you mind me asking how old you are (just in a general sense. Under 15? Over 30? 20 - 30?)

I am 15-20 years old and currently only knitting baby stuff, reading books and watching videos about baby care, and playing with my dolls as if I am their mom as preparation for when I do have a child. But I am also thinking of all the other things I would need to do to prepare for having a child.

As far as keeping calm if my child gets bit by a venomous snake, that might be hard. If it was myself that got bit than yeah I could stay calm and have any stress hormones pass slowly through tears, kidney filtration, and enzymes rather than suddenly through the fight or flight response, but if it was my child that got bit I might get really scared, especially if there is no hospital nearby that has antivenom. And since children have a faster heart rate than I do if my child was bit or stung by any venomous animal, even your regular house spider, the venom would travel faster. In an infant, because of the pain it might be crying a lot and very squirmy which along with the very fast heart rate would make the venom travel very fast and with such a low blood volume it might bleed to death or die from brain damage. That would be much worse than a miscarriage or death soon after birth.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am 15-20 years old and currently only knitting baby stuff, reading books and watching videos about baby care, and playing with my dolls as if I am their mom as preparation for when I do have a child. But I am also thinking of all the other things I would need to do to prepare for having a child.

As far as keeping calm if my child gets bit by a venomous snake, that might be hard. If it was myself that got bit than yeah I could stay calm and have any stress hormones pass slowly through tears, kidney filtration, and enzymes rather than suddenly through the fight or flight response, but if it was my child that got bit I might get really scared, especially if there is no hospital nearby that has antivenom. And since children have a faster heart rate than I do if my child was bit or stung by any venomous animal, even your regular house spider, the venom would travel faster. In an infant, because of the pain it might be crying a lot and very squirmy which along with the very fast heart rate would make the venom travel very fast and with such a low blood volume it might bleed to death or die from brain damage. That would be much worse than a miscarriage or death soon after birth.

Okay, then. Don't knit a baby too quickly ;) And don't fret too much. Babies tend to survive, statistically speaking. Yours likely will - being First World and all that.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Caters, do you not go to school? 16 seems really young to be worrying about hypothetical babies. :-/ When I was 16 I had more pressing concerns like "Holy shit, how am I ever going to pass that math test" and "This bra makes my boobs look funny I HATE MY BOOBS" and "Omg my BFF is hanging out with that asshole new girl I HATE THAT ASSHOLE NEW GIRL SO MUCH" and "Crap I still need to come up with a topic for my science project" and so on and so forth.

"Omg my hypothetical baby is going to die of a hypothetical snake bite" never crossed my mind.

I think it might be good for you to maybe find a hobby, if school isn't an option right now. How do your friends feel about your interest in pregnancy and babies?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
But you can never be too prepared for something that might or might not happen. And with my great long term memory I might remember how to treat an infant with a snakebite, especially if I keep it written down in a notes program on my phone.

And yes I realize that this is a writing forum but this is also where I posted all my alligator related stuff so it kind of makes sense that I would post about preparing for when my children get a snakebite as infants if it happens in the same place.

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself here. First of all, you're sixteen and won't be having a kid for many years. And if you're living with your parents and/or the child's father when that time comes, they'll be able to help you too.

I don't know what part of the world you live in, but we have Western Pacific rattlesnakes here in the central valley of CA. While I'm sure it happens occasionally, I've never known anyone whose child has been bitten by one. The most common snakebite victims are drunk guys who are daring each other to touch a snake, rock climbers or hikers who put their hands on them or step on them, and people who live in rustic areas and are clearing brush or something like that. Generally speaking, sturdy boots and gloves in snake country is good protection, as is moving slowly and being observant. One slithered across the trail in front of my husband and me when we were hiking with our dogs recently, and we kept the dogs on short leashes and waited for Mister Rattler to go on his merry way.

They actually don't want to waste their venom on us, as its primary purpose is obtaining prey. A rattlesnake won't be able to hunt for a while after it empties its venom sacks, so they've evolved to bite only as a last resort.

These snakes don't come into suburban yards unless they're adjacent to brush-filled open space (keeping the brush cleared around your property is helpful here). And you wouldn't be leaving a baby or toddler out by itself in such an environment. Older kids can be taught snake safety.

Once you are ready to have kids, they have parenting and first aid classes you can take that will teach you about various risks and how to reduce them.

And I am saying this in all kindness--obsessing about this kind of thing right now is not doing you any favors. If you can't control these anxious thoughts, it might be a symptom of an issue you should get some help with. I am prone to anxious flights of fancy too, and I know how destructive they can be. You may want to talk to your parents about this, or to your physician.

Kids are killed by falling furniture and dog bite way more often than either of those things.

Actually, only 20-40 people a year are killed by dogs (more than half are children) in the US. Many more are bitten, of course, some quite severely, but considering how much contact people and dogs have with one another, it's amazing how low dogs rank on the list of things that kill us. More kids are killed in youth sports than are killed by dogs.

Not that parents should be leaving young kids unsupervised with dogs either. But recent data show that an inordinate number of bites happen when the parents are present, because most people are shitty at reading the signals that dogs send when they're getting stressed and have had enough. These kinds of videos that people post on the web because they're oh so "cute" give me the heeby jeebies as someone who loves dogs and wants both kids and animals to be safe. When dogs purse their lips, look away, stare, stiffen, yawn, and lick their lips, they're telling us they're nervous and unhappy with the situation.

Last edited:

Caters

Registered
Reaction score
I don't go to public school because I had such a bad experience in 4th grade that my Momma decided to homeschool me. I usually do very well on tests and quizzes so those don't worry me. I do have a hobby of knitting and I also often play games or draw animals.

My most recent drawing is that of a rattlesnake in the classic strike position.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't go to public school because I had such a bad experience in 4th grade that my Momma decided to homeschool me. I usually do very well on tests and quizzes so those don't worry me. I do have a hobby of knitting and I also often play games or draw animals.

My most recent drawing is that of a rattlesnake in the classic strike position.

Okay, I've stopped worrying. :) I think it's fine for you to fixate on snakes. I'm not worried about them, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be. And if you're planning on babying, it's good that you're thinking ahead. Just don't rush it. Optimal breeding age is probably very very late teens or early 20s and I suspect the best thing you can do for this babe is read a lot and not drink alcohol.

Good luck with it, chicken :)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Drawing is a wonderful hobby to have. Work at it and have fun with it, as it's one of those things that can give you and others much joy in life.

I have a pet gopher snake, btw. Gopher snakes are docile and non-venomous.

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Drawing is a wonderful hobby to have. Work at it and have fun with it, as it's one of those things that can give you and others much joy in life.

Yeah, I like drawing as well, and it really does give me and people around me joy (or at least entertainment). You mentioned doing quite a bit of reading a few posts up. Do you read fiction or non-fiction?

Caters

Registered
Reaction score
I read mainly nonfiction. I will occasionally read fiction that isn't mine and I often read what I have written but I read a lot more nonfiction. When it comes to nonfiction it is mainly science.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm a biologist by training. I studied lizards in grad school. I've always found reptiles fascinating. Do you know mother alligators guard their eggs and take care of their babies for a while after they hatch?

Caters

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, up to a year. They make sure nobody gets into their nests, not even turtles or biologists. And the baby alligators live in groups called pods and if predators are approaching they will make a distress call and the mother will come to them as fast as possible to protect them.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
You might consider marrying an Irishman. I cannot speak to their driving; however, it is my understanding that Ireland has no snakes.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Snakes don't want to bite you. They'll do everything they can to avoid biting you. Not all snakes are as obvious as a rattlesnake, but they'll all do something to warn you.

If a snake did get inside you home, and did find your baby, it's more likely they'll curl up with the baby for warmth. That's just how snakes roll.

You need to know where to get medical attention, and if there are bite kits available that's great, but obsessing about it won't help. All it's going to do is make you afraid of snakes, and the worst thing you can do around a snake is panic. It might help you to focus more on learning things about snakes that don't relate to them biting people. They don't exist to bite people. They've got a lot of their own snake stuff going on.