Howdy folks!

Jack Judah

Lost somewhere on the Nile
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to have found this place!

I went to school to become a history professor. Learned two things in college. First, I really didn't want to be a professor. Second, I'm fairly dangerous at the poker table. After graduating, I scraped together a grubstake and skedaddled to the nearest place where gambling was legal. From 2010-2014 I played poker for a living, mainly in the small mountain town of Blackhawk, CO. Until last year, when I took the biggest gamble of them all and bought a book store. Finding myself surrounded by books everyday, my old interest in writing was rekindled. After a decade long hiatus, I picked up the pen and started scribbling again.

I have two current WsIP, a western based on a true story and a historical set in New Kingdom Egypt. Needless to say, ten years is a long break, and I've found the writing muscles withered. I'm hoping this place is just what the doc ordered. (Did I mention I have a distressing fondness for cliches?)

Corsairs

Saying it twice for truth
Registered
Reaction score
That's a heck of a journey, Jack! Sounds like a story people might like to read. I certainly enjoyed it. :)

Welcome to the Cooler! :welcome:

Jack Judah

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and the compliment, Corsairs!

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Jack! What's it like owning an independent bookstore? In my naivete I've always thought it would be fun, but I know nothing about what it would involve.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Welcome to AW, Jack. You'd love someone like me, I can't win at penny-ante. Guess I'm better off staying away from your table (lol). I did run a used bookstore from 1979 to 2007. Good in the beginning, wasn't making enough to pay utilities by the end. But I loved the business. I got to talk with other people who loved books as much as me. Gads, I'm looking for a book, reckon you have it? Hey, looking forward to running into you around the Internet.

Jack Judah

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Jack! What's it like owning an independent bookstore? In my naivete I've always thought it would be fun, but I know nothing about what it would involve.

Thanks for the welcome! It is fun, but it's also a lot of work. The thing that makes it all worthwhile for me is the unique access I get to material I otherwise would either not be able to afford or would never even know existed. My biggest problem is forcing myself to sell rather than hoard a lot of it!

Jack Judah

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Jack. You'd love someone like me, I can't win at penny-ante. Guess I'm better off staying away from your table (lol). I did run a used bookstore from 1979 to 2007. Good in the beginning, wasn't making enough to pay utilities by the end. But I loved the business. I got to talk with other people who loved books as much as me. Gads, I'm looking for a book, reckon you have it? Hey, looking forward to running into you around the Internet.

Howdy Tom. Yessir, it can be a tough business. Especially if you rely on brick and mortar traffic. Lucky for me, 90% of my business is online, and my overhead's cheap. So far at least, it's been enough to keep the creditors at bay. What book you looking for?

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
I sent you a PM, Jack. I took Army basic training (Infantry) at Fort Carson, Colorado, during the winter of 1958/59. Cold and lots of snow, but I loved it. A great state, with plenty of good fishing and hunting. Again, welcome to AW.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Always great to meet ones who actively seeks their dreams. I love history, too. It was my minor in college and a component to an English degree in grad school. Yep, studies opened my eyes to better ways to learn history than approved texts. :greenie

:welcome:

Writers Choice

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Jack! It's never too late to start. I am working to finish my first novel. I didn't even know I wanted to write until last year. It's a great escape for me.

Looking forward to interacting with you.

Jack Judah

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, studies opened my eyes to better ways to learn history than approved texts. :greenie

:welcome:

Right? I find that I tend to disapprove of most approved texts. Thanks for the welcome!

Last edited:

Jack Judah

Registered
Reaction score
It's never too late to start. I am working to finish my first novel. I didn't even know I wanted to write until last year. It's a great escape for me.

Then we're in the same boat. I agree, there's nothing better than losing yourself in a world of your own creation. Of course, that could just be my God-complex showing through. Thanks for the welcome, and good luck on your novel.

belgerod

Registered
Reaction score
Are there any plans to use your gambling career as fuel for a story of some kind? Could be interesting!

RainGore

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome! Glad to see someone opening a store instead of closing. I have to think that print books will always have a place.

Desiree

Registered
Reaction score
Website
desireemoodie.com
Welcome, Jack! :welcome:

I feel you on the whole professor thing. I was going to become a professor of literature before I changed my mind and subequently changed careers.

But wow, professional poker? I'm sure you could write a book on that subject alone :tongue

Jack Judah

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome! Glad to see someone opening a store instead of closing. I have to think that print books will always have a place.

Brick and mortar bookstores, especially used bookstores, really are dropping like flies.
I'm one of those holdouts who prefers print to digital. Hopefully I'm not alone (cause if I am, I'm going to end up living in a cardboard box!). Thanks for the welcome!
Welcome, Jack! :welcome:

I feel you on the whole professor thing. I was going to become a professor of literature before I changed my mind and subequently changed careers. But wow, professional poker? I'm sure you could write a book on that subject alone :tongue

Always nice to meet another academic refugee. All it took for me was one quarter as a TA, and I realized I'd never make it to retirement without committing a homicide!

Jack Judah

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jack :hooray:I'm new too! I grew up in the state just below Colorado. Happy to meet you!

I assume you mean you're from the Land of Enchantment, not that pesky little panhandle to the east. Either way, howdy and welcome!

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Ah, another Jack! Hi, Jack. :welcome: I'm envious of the bookstore... what a way to go! We've been collecting for years, even down to coming across some WW1 Cartoons of the War. I failed miserably at history, but it's hubby's love. :)

Hope you have a great time on AW.

Jack Judah

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, another Jack! Hi, Jack. :welcome: I'm envious of the bookstore... what a way to go! We've been collecting for years, even down to coming across some WW1 Cartoons of the War. I failed miserably at history, but it's hubby's love. :)

Hope you have a great time on AW.

Yep, us Jacks are everywhere. Thanks for the welcome. Those are some neat cartoons. I enjoyed the link. Happy hunting!