Cujo attacks when out walking?

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Yes! I thought so too, but we are all watching to see that the fence goes in and that it works. There is no question that Bob is not aware of the problem and his liability. So, we'll see.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I'm really glad your husband lit a fire under Bob and he's taking action.

Now, can you send you husband to my neighborhood? We need the Post Office persuaded to address some issues...

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's a great step in the right direction! My last post was cynical towards Bob, but I'm glad I was wrong. Let's hope things go smoothly from here. :D

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Wow, that's a great step in the right direction! My last post was cynical towards Bob, but I'm glad I was wrong. Let's hope things go smoothly from here. :D

TBH, I'm still cynical towards this Bob - especially as more than half of animal training is actually "training" the humans who contributed to the problem in the first place, and it still sounds like he doesn't really get it. Maybe coming from a professional, he'll listen.

But let's hope things are on the right track.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! to Mr. Bomber, and whatever he said, and I hope that Bob is informed/intimidated/scared of authority enough to follow through. (Try to be home when the 'invisible' fence is installed, just to make sure that it is. At least look for a long, expensive scar in the ground.
I keep thinking of the Emperor's new clothing.
"I can't see it"
"Well, that's because it's invisible, isn't it?")

Let us know how it goes.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
This sounds like a great solution - I hope it works!

ETA: I've got a lab, trained to a radio fence, and he absolutely respects it and it took about two seconds for him to understand it. But he's a lab. Before the fence he did on occasion run out to the street (rural, going out to meet dogs, not chase cars) but he was driven by interest and friendliness, not aggression. I have no idea how effective the fence would be with an aggressive dog. Hopefully, it'll work!

(And add my congratulations to Mr. Bomber. It pisses me off a bit, as a woman, that we sometimes need men to make our arguments clear to the old guard, but... if it works, it works.)

Last edited:

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I think the electric fence might be effective, if it's combined with a knowledgeable trainer, and the dog's aggressive instincts aren't too high. But I'd not bet my life savings on it (which, technically, Bob may be doing).

It's interesting that Bob shrugged off the OP, but became (ironically) a fawning puppy when her husband had a chat with him. Sounds like Bob doesn't respect women very much.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I've been attacked by strays (unrestrained dogs that came on my property to hunt me or my children or my livestock) really take this seriously. If they have done this once, they will do it again. Training the owner is a waste of time. They don't care. They don't learn. Either call human authorities or call dog authority. Pretty much everywhere has leash laws in the US, even rural areas. Call the game warden as well as animal control or cops. However, Cops generally don't care. Human authorities have already been addressed here. Calling Dog Authority means lowering yourself to the dog's way of thinking. It is only worthwhile if you think that you can train that dog and manage it away from the owner. That requires fear and pain and subjugation. If it's small enough for you to handle, subjugation works. Grab it. Put it on it's back and strangle it. You don't have to kill it. You just have to make it think that you could do it easily. Hold it on the ground on its back and growl at it until it becomes submissive. This is a necessary training part of having any large dog. If it's your own dog, you can make it a part of play so it's not threatening. You roll the dog on it's back and rub it's tummy with one hand while gently holding a hand on its throat.

Pain is required if step one doesn't work, it's too strong for you to wrangle, it's not safe for you to wrangle, they've already recruited a pack. Don't bother with mace. Get bear spray, pure refined capsaicin and spray in the eyes. (ass works too but obviously only if they are running away and then it's worth it to mark your territory into their brain.) Tasers don't work on furred animals.

Fear means the threat of death like a bullet in the dirt near them or actually being shot. There are pros and cons of salt rounds vs lead. They should only get one warning shot.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
ng).

It's interesting that Bob shrugged off the OP, but became (ironically) a fawning puppy when her husband had a chat with him. Sounds like Bob doesn't respect women very much.
They never do

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
I don't recommend ever alpha rolling an aggressive dog without a muzzle, no matter the size. It puts you in a position where you can be bitten on the face and even a small dog can do a lot of damage.

Bear spray is a fine idea.

Warning shots may be illegal where you are, even if the round goes into the dirt.

You might consider carrying a stout walking stick. If the dog gets too close, you can use it to drive the dog off. The one thing to remember is not to fight a dog unless you are certain you can beat it. If it learns it can beat you then you're pretty well screwed. Additionally, when you first engage the dog it may very well come back more aggressive than before, so be prepared for escalation.