Smashwords Premium Catalog Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I know that there are quite a few Smashwords people here, so I know someone can answer this.

My book just got approved for premium status. How long did it take for you to see your book on Amazon, BnN, and the other retailers Smashwords distributes to?

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
You'll need to do Amazon separately, as Amazon don't take automated additions. Smashwords does it manually for a few big sellers I believe, but really you're better off doing that one on your own anyway.

On the rest, the quickest for me was within a few hours. Most sites had updated with the book in a few days. A few popped up weeks later. That's down to each individual retailer. Apple is often a bit slow, but they get there. Kobo was the worst for me, as they didn't always update... to the point I no longer distribute there. If I start selling more and people want Kobo, I'll likely try to do it directly, as at least then I can complain directly when they mess up (which they just kept on doing).

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
My book just got approved for premium status. How long did it take for you to see your book on Amazon, BnN, and the other retailers Smashwords distributes to?

For Flipkart (the only reason I used Smashwords), never. After 3 months, I gave up. D2D is much, much more responsive.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
For Flipkart (the only reason I used Smashwords), never. After 3 months, I gave up. D2D is much, much more responsive.

See, I'd be perfectly happy just sticking with Smashwords, except that with everything happening in the news with credit breeches and scams, if someone hasn't heard of Smashwords, they're not going to want to open an account just to buy my book.

I felt really smart when I figured out their formatting guidelines and I made the changes they asked for. But now I'm seeing "reshipped" this and "Already shipped" that, so I guess I'm not sure where the line is between being patient and throwing in the towel.

Someone mentioned D2D in another thread, but someone else said they were comprehensive. Do you exclusively use D2D now?

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I felt really smart when I figured out their formatting guidelines and I made the changes they asked for. But now I'm seeing "reshipped" this and "Already shipped" that, so I guess I'm not sure where the line is between being patient and throwing in the towel.

I assume you're talking about the channel manager. Numbers under "Already shipped" means they've sent that many of your titles to those places (if you have the one book, it should say 1). "To be (re)shipped" means shipment is pending (both of new titles and updates). Once it's been shipped, most places that are going to list it will likely have done so in a week. This will obviously only happen once you have "approved" under Premium Status on your dashboard.

Some places will chose not to list a book. A number of the channels don't take short stories, for example. They may be pickier about certain genres (like erotica). The retailer is the one who makes the final decision, not Smashwords.

I took your original post as general curiosity, but it sounds like there might be a particular retailer you're waiting on?

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
The retailer is the one who makes the final decision, not Smashwords.

I understand that. I know I shouldn't be impatient.

I took your original post as general curiosity, but it sounds like there might be a particular retailer you're waiting on?

Well again, I know it's aiming high, but I at least want it to be a retailer that people probably already have an account with, and would be comfortable shopping from. Smashwords is relatively well known in some circles, but if someone can get my book from a place where they already have an account, like say, Barnes N Noble or Apple, then I would be even happier.

I hope that doesn't make me sound greedy or unappreciative.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, I just looked and it's at Barnes And Noble now. I just had to be patient. Admittedly, it's new territory for me. Patience, that is.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Yay! Do make sure you get the book on Amazon too (which as I said, you need to do directly). You'll likely get more sales on Amazon than all the rest combined.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Someone mentioned D2D in another thread, but someone else said they were comprehensive. Do you exclusively use D2D now?

I put most of my books back into Select, but I do use D2D for a permafree short story. I always recommend D2D over SW, unless there's a compelling reason to use SW--like a channel that D2D doesn't offer. As it turned out for me, that didn't matter in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.