• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

The Case for Complex Dark Matter

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
That section of the article is the conclusion, so it refers to everything that came before.

That is a seriously unwarranted conclusion. You're assuming the article's writer is following a particular essay style and that the author and the editor were willing to spare column inches for a general conclusion.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
"wrong-headed"!!! Does that mean that I attacked a religious truth of yours, or what?
No, it means you don't appear to know what you're talking about. For starters, you've confused dark matter and dark energy. Religion didn't ever come into this discussion; you have science facts wrong, therefore I called your arguments "wrong-headed".

Did you notice the paragraph from an article in The Economist about this matter?
I like to get my science from scientific papers published in peer-reviewed science journals by scientists, not from journalists who report on the economy.

If you make a claim, the burden of proof is on you. Right now, you're claiming that the analysis of data done by trained, appropriately-educated experts is wrong because you don't aesthetically like their conclusions. You need more than that, and more than a link to an article from The Economist (that you appear to have misunderstood), to convince anyone you aren't simply incorrect.

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you had read the article, then you would have seen that there were many mentions of CDM (cold dark matter).

Yes, "dark matter" being the important bit. It doesn't mean "cold normal matter".

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Why is this thread getting as bad as the politics board? Let's just agree to disagree. If you don't believe dark matter exists, then this thread should be of no interest to you, because the original topic was whether the nature of dark matter is this or that.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Mod note: This is science fact.

So back up assertions with scientific research that supports those assertions, please.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Ever since dark matter was introduced I have wondered why people are looking for it to be anything other than cold, ordinary matter. It is dark simply because it does not emit light, so it can't be seen; it can only be detected through its gravitational effects on other matter that can be seen. .

Ah, but "dark matter" isn't really dark. It's invisible. Light passes through it, because it does not interact with electromagnetic energy. There's all kinds of cold dark ordinary matter in the universe, but it blocks light. Not the same thing.

As just one famous example:

http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/darknebs.html

caw

Last edited:

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Probably a stupid question, but here goes. Imagine a wall made of dark matter. Could I bump into it and hurt my head?
Probably not. Dark matter does not interact electromagnetically. EM is the force in head banging.

Your head isn't being banged by all the neutrinos flowing through it right now.

A sufficiently large amount of dark matter can hold you gravitationally, however, so don't discount the stuff as non-dangerous.

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Why is this thread getting as bad as the politics board? Let's just agree to disagree. If you don't believe dark matter exists, then this thread should be of no interest to you, because the original topic was whether the nature of dark matter is this or that.

Apparently some people don't understand the difference between hypothesis and fact. There are a number of hypotheses about the nature of "dark matter", and some take their hypotheses very personally.

Personally, I suspect that eventually it will be found to be something completely different, but we will have to wait to see.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Apparently some people don't understand the difference between hypothesis and fact. There are a number of hypotheses about the nature of "dark matter", and some take their hypotheses very personally.

Personally, I suspect that eventually it will be found to be something completely different, but we will have to wait to see.

Facts are what we test hypotheses against. In order to do that, we examine the logical consequences of a hypothesis and try to find some that could be observed. We then try to find a means of observing those and examine the results of those observations. That's the experiment and analysis part of the scientific method.

The hypothesis that dark matter is cold baryonic matter has been tested using experiment, indirect observation and analysis. Links have been provided for some of the ways that was done The conclusion is that only a small amount of dark matter is cold baryonic matter.

kennyc

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The physicist James Bullock explains how a complicated “dark sector” of interacting particles may illuminate some puzzling observations of the centers of galaxies.

Sometimes the popular press likes to suggest that all the Big Problems in physics & cosmology have been All But Solved, but it certainly seems that the more we know, the more we realize that we don't know?

Oh no, there are tons of unanswered questions including those that the media and the scientists like to treat as solved.....dark energy, dark matter, quantum gravity, string theory, black holes, the holographic universe, even gravity itself is yet to be explained....

Lee Smolin has written a lot on the problems of physics and I've written a couple of pieces on my blog as well.

Here's a piece in Discover Mag about the unanswered questions in Physics:

http://discovermagazine.com/2002/feb/cover

Last edited:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is speculation, then there is hypothesis, then there is theory, then there is fact. A scientist will sit down and speculate about possible explanations for something. If one of them sounds like it makes more sense than "fairies and gremlins", he'll form an hypothesis, and suggest possible tests. If the hypothesis seems to pass some tests, it becomes a theory. The more tests it passes, the more "generally accepted" the theory is.
Generally speaking, theories don't become "facts." The Theory of Gravity is still just a theory, even though gravity is a fact. The statement that something is out there that's affecting galaxies is a fact, and we label that fact "Dark Matter." There are several theories about what "dark matter" might be, but the phrase "dark matter" is just a placeholder for whatever it is.
However, having said that, CDM has failed the falsification tests. If someone wants to posit CDM as an explanation, they're going to have to come up with a new (and complicated) explanation for why it's CDM, but fails the tests that have been done. In the end, that hypothesis will probably be more complicated and less elegant than the WIMP theory.
Personally, I like to think that it's normal matter, separated from our universe in some additional dimension, so that we can interact gravitationally but not otherwise. But that's just a personal preference and I'm certainly not going to try to defend it.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
However, having said that, CDM has failed the falsification tests. If someone wants to posit CDM as an explanation, they're going to have to come up with a new (and complicated) explanation for why it's CDM, but fails the tests that have been done.

What tests? Unless there is something I haven't heard, Lambda-CDM is still the prevailing cosmological theory. That's still not saying much. CDM is still just a placeholder. It just says that it's cold (not very energetic) and dark (doesn't interact electromagnetically).

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What tests? Unless there is something I haven't heard, Lambda-CDM is still the prevailing cosmological theory. That's still not saying much. CDM is still just a placeholder. It just says that it's cold (not very energetic) and dark (doesn't interact electromagnetically).

Maybe it's a misunderstanding on my part, but I've always thought of CDM as normal baryonic matter, as opposed to the WIMPy stuff. Just cold, and therefore dark.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe it's a misunderstanding on my part, but I've always thought of CDM as normal baryonic matter, as opposed to the WIMPy stuff. Just cold, and therefore dark.

That is my understanding also, but it is just one hypothesis. Until it will be a settled matter, I will remain open-minded about it; although I have a theory that I prefer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_dark_matter

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is my understanding also, but it is just one hypothesis. Until it will be a settled matter, I will remain open-minded about it; although I have a theory that I prefer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_dark_matter

Um. I see that I bungled that explanation. What I meant was that when I say "CDM", I'm referring to normal matter of the cold, dark variety. Of which there is plenty, and which is very easy to detect. I don't believe that "Dark Matter" is normal baryonic matter that we haven't detected, simply because we HAVE detected normal baryonic matter, including the really really thin, really really cold stuff between galaxies. Which means that in order for Dark Matter to be normal baryonic matter that we haven't detected, it would have to be even thinner than the stuff that we HAVE detected, yet at the same time consist of thousands of times the mass of the stuff that we've already detected. In order to make that work, you'd have to posit some special state of matter that's undetectable despite being otherwise eminently detectable. Once you start invoking special states, how's that better than Dark Matter?

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
No one knows for sure.
You know, nobody knows for sure that I don't have an invisible unicorn sitting on my head, but that doesn't mean there is one. The fact that no one knows for sure isn't evidence of anything; it's empty words.

The balance of evidence is that dark matter is not cold baryonic matter. If you don't want to change your mind, that's fine, but you're not changing anyone else's mind with an opinion. And so, I will stop arguing with something you take on faith.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
On that Wikipedia page, it says that WIMPs are one possible candidate for CDM. The only candidate mentioned that is made of normal matter is MACHOs, which have been ruled out by gravitational lensing surveys.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Um. I see that I bungled that explanation. What I meant was that when I say "CDM", I'm referring to normal matter of the cold, dark variety. Of which there is plenty, and which is very easy to detect. I don't believe that "Dark Matter" is normal baryonic matter that we haven't detected, simply because we HAVE detected normal baryonic matter, including the really really thin, really really cold stuff between galaxies. Which means that in order for Dark Matter to be normal baryonic matter that we haven't detected, it would have to be even thinner than the stuff that we HAVE detected, yet at the same time consist of thousands of times the mass of the stuff that we've already detected. In order to make that work, you'd have to posit some special state of matter that's undetectable despite being otherwise eminently detectable. Once you start invoking special states, how's that better than Dark Matter?

That's what I thought you meant.