How do short story writers pull off unlikable characters?

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
It's largely the circumstances that make these character's interesting to the reader. They have a situation we can empathize with, seeing how they took the decisions they did even if those decisions were dodgy. Or the stakes are so strong, the need to act so severe, that it helps to justify a rash judgment. This isn't a science. It's ALL in the execution.

You can't just put Flannery O'Conner up on this pedestal and say that there's some secret to this story just because it's a part of the literary canon. Of course it is. So is The Lord of the Rings, especially for fantasy writers, and doing everything Tolkien does would be a massive mistake. It's situational. It works at one time, in one story, with one voice, style, and execution. You can mimic these and learn by doing that, but you have to actually do it, which is why it's so hard to respond to detailed questions like this without having some sort of SYW post as a reference.

Just analyzing the story, categorizing its technique and tropes, is textual analysis. An English literature degree. A very valuable thing, but not a degree in writing a book. I had two profs I very much looked up to (among many), one a huge sci-fi fan and one who read mostly Litfic. One of the only things both agreed on was that writers don't always make great analysts and analysts don't always make good writers. They're not exclusive skillsets, but they are very different skillsets. The reason the MFA is relevant is that this is a common problem with workshops affiliated with a university where there's a curriculum and sometimes a certain "prestige" that has to be upheld. It's very easy to get sucked into trying to figure out why something works when the only way to actually do it is to do it.

Neither is this a genre or literary thing. For every O'Conner you look at, look at something on the fringes. Some works get put up on a pedestal because they're valuable in all kinds of cultural ways. We can learn from the experience of reading them. Try to achieve exactly the same effect and you will forever be left with a hollow imitation.

Do what works for Your Story. You mentioned some of the people in the workshop had critiqued the stakes. Start there. If there's no reason for a character to do anything, it's very hard to care about what he or she is doing, no matter how heroic or villainous he or she is.

I only used the examples I did because I thought people would know them. And my question isn't detailed or specific to one thing I wrote. I don't see how seeing a failed attempt from me would add anything to the conversation. I just wanted to see how some stories get away with less than likable characters. It has nothing to do with any cannon or anything specific that I wrote. I just really like discussing these types of things with people here on AW. I don't think every thread has to be a big problem that is specific to the writer who started it. Not to say this isn't something I'm dealing with.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The characters in the examples I gave are nasty people. That's why they are unlikable in my mind, but I do love both these stories and many others where I know when I'm not supposed to like a character, but also don't want to stop reading. Are characters generally more likable in genre writing? I wouldn't think the genre really plays too much of a role, but I could be wrong. I would love to hear your take on unlikable characters in genre works.

I'm surprised you don't like short stories. You see to know a lot about them, and I know I've seen you comment on different threads dealing with short stories. Is this a new thing, not liking short stories? Short stories are my favorite things to read. I wonder if these characters would be more likable if the stories were in novel form. Surely, readers would get a better sense of where they were coming from. But short stories are more of a snapshot, I think. We get this is who they are and who they are going to be over the next few pages. With a lot of these types of stories, we get a character who is unlikely to change. In a novel, there is a lot more possibility for characters to change his or her unlikable characteristics or for readers to have more chances to relate to the characters.

I think characters tend to be more relatable, or at least presented in a way that allows for more connection, in genre as opposed to lit. They also often hone to tropes that people find comfortable and familiar. A gruff detective is an expected quantity, and it's as expected that he'll have a soft spot for something or someone. A cruel rake is going to end up doing something redemptive.

A boss mean to the MC is likely to get his or her comeuppance, and giving the MC an obvious antagonistic presence can shine a better light on even an unlikable MC. A lot of litfic is off-kilter from expectations, often on purpose, and often not centered around characters in the same way that, say, detective fiction is. Thus people have to connect with characters from no basic starting point - you kind of have to build it all in, if you see what I mean. Obviously they're human, in general, heh, but in genre you often get more backloaded, even if the reader only knows subconsciously that it'll be there.

I've never liked short stories. I like some, but it's not my thing. I know about writing and editing. You won't find a post from me about some short story-specific thing though. General things that apply to short- and long-form, yeah, and I think I posted in the fave short story thread once, but I've never liked them as a genre. I think I own two books of shorts, one a Stephen King and one David Rakoff, because Letterman recommended him.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
I know it can work. Writers pull off making readers like unlikable characters like in Bullet in the Brain and A Good Man is Hard to Find and many, many more works. I think readers can like characters for the characters they are in these and other cases. But then you take a creative writing class and all of a sudden no one likes your characters, and they tell you it's a problem. How big of a problem is it? My characters aren't trying to be best friends with you. They are caught up in a story where I had them make bad decisions. Why do people say they can't relate to a character? Have they never made a bad decision? Maybe I can't relate to the reader for not being able to relate to my character.

Okay, that was somewhat of a vent. I am in the process of putting my thesis together and going over my written feedback. Some of it seems a lot harsher than I remember. But even if it's all true. How do some writers get away with creating some nasty characters that we still want to read about?

I read this as asking for help processing feedback from the creative writing class and help working on characterization. If that wasn't your intent, I apologize. In no way do I have an issue with anyone discussing how to create characters. I tried to speak to that and to some of the conversation as it was developing. It is often easier to discuss these things in specific terms, though, because again, it's all in the execution. Again, I apologize if I offended.

I only used the examples I did because I thought people would know them. And my question isn't detailed or specific to one thing I wrote. I don't see how seeing a failed attempt from me would add anything to the conversation. I just wanted to see how some stories get away with less than likable characters. It has nothing to do with any cannon or anything specific that I wrote. I just really like discussing these types of things with people here on AW. I don't think every thread has to be a big problem that is specific to the writer who started it. Not to say this isn't something I'm dealing with.

Failed attempts are exactly where most learning takes place. My whole point was that you're looking at things in a general, analytical way and you're going to have to address the actual feedback... if you want feedback at all. I won't force it on you. That's not my place.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to think I have interesting characters. I do my best to make everything I write interesting. I mean everything can be interesting, right? But would having an interesting character in a unique situation acting like a jerk be enough to make you keep reading?

Personally? Not usually...unless it was hilarious. I am better with unlikable characters if the story is funny.

But not everyone feels this way. My fiance does not care at all about likability when he reads.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
The characters in the examples I gave are nasty people. That's why they are unlikable in my mind, but I do love both these stories and many others where I know when I'm not supposed to like a character, but also don't want to stop reading. Are characters generally more likable in genre writing? I wouldn't think the genre really plays too much of a role, but I could be wrong. I would love to hear your take on unlikable characters in genre works.

I don't think romance works at all if the characters are unlikable. Maybe it's easier to pull off in other genres (which I rarely read)? Not sure.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
I will check out the book. I took a class in undergrad that was about preforming literature. It sounds a little similar, but it was a long time ago for me.

I like the idea of trying to create compelling characters rather than likable characters. That may help me moving forward. This is going to sound stupid, but how do you know when you've written a compelling character? I know when I've got a likable character. But sometimes I don't realize when my characters are not likable. How will I know if they are compelling? I would like to think all my characters are compelling. Surely, that's not the case, but this thing is a little tricky to put my finger on. Is part of making a compelling character playing around with subtext?

I only know I’ve written a compelling character when my critique group says I have! (I’m really not trying to be flippant with that answer. Some people like what I write and others don’t, so I just don’t worry about it.)

There are, however, two things I check before I hand my work off to be critiqued. They fall under the general question of “have I taken every opportunity to reveal character?”

1.) Does the plot reveal character?

It doesn’t matter to me if the plot is flashy. What matters to me is whether or not the plot fits the character. Does the plot test not only the character’s skills but the character’s psyche? It doesn’t mean, of course, that the character has to change but if the character doesn’t change then I want to see her struggle to maintain who she is. I want to see the character make a choice to remain the same.

This is also where motivation comes into play. What does the motivation tell me about the character? Did I pick the strongest motivation for that character or is there a better one?

2.) Do relationships reveal character?

We don’t react the same way to every person we meet. I have two very close friends. My behavior is still slightly different when I’m with Friend A than when I’m with Friend B. Reactions will be even more varied if you account for things like relative status, cultural norms, general circumstances, etc.

My goal in writing, of course, is for each relationship to reveal something different about how the character views herself or the world. Those slight shifts provide a sense of dynamism an also add to the depth and complexity of the character.

Overall, my goal is to have the character reveal something new through each circumstance or relationship. I don’t want to show readers something they’ve seen.

Playing with the subtext does help as well because it adds depth to the characters and allows readers to infer things about the characters. The goal, as always, is to reveal something new.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's often said that literary fiction is character driven. I am pretty plot heavy with my short stories. Maybe I need to try to be more character driven.

I think you may have something there. I believe all good stories have a plot, but I also believe that good fiction is about people, not events. I think the best fiction is always about character. Even in genre fiction, it's the characters we remember.

Or maybe you should write more genre fiction. Genre fiction done right becomes literary fiction. Not too many decades ago, there was no separation between literary and genre fiction. The only reason this separation too place was because of marketing. Before this, well-written fiction that had something to say was all that mattered.

Read through the famous short stories of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Most of it would be published as genre fiction today. Then, writers simply tried to tell good stories that revealed character, but did so in the framework of adventure, or stories that were strong on plot, but equally as strong on character.

Even today, mystery, science fiction, and even horror stories frequently work their way into literary classification because of how well they're written, and how much they reveal about character. Perhaps your stories are fine on plot, but need more character added to the mix.

I've never believed fiction is character driven versus plot driven. Good fiction should be both.

Skabr

Inspire.Motivate. If nothing, drag!
Registered
Reaction score
Based on what I know, characters do not matter as much as does the story. I write short stories and I feel that I enjoy writing some stories (and reading some stories) because they have nice story lines, like many already pointed out. My personal tip would be to write a story and don't worry about the characters too much. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
At bottom, for any reader, they have to be INTERESTING.

caw

Sure, but there are specific ways to make them interesting, and ways that completely fail to make them interesting. Just saying they have to be interesting is like saying, "At bottom, in order to sell, a story has to be good enough to sell."

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Based on what I know, characters do not matter as much as does the story. I write short stories and I feel that I enjoy writing some stories (and reading some stories) because they have nice story lines, like many already pointed out. My personal tip would be to write a story and don't worry about the characters too much. :)

Character is story. Character is the only reason story exists. There can be no good story without very good characters, even if those characters are birds. Character is the be all and end all of literary fiction, and even more important than plot in genre fiction.

Story is nothing more than what happens to characters, and what affect it has on them. That's it. Period. Unless you give characters readers they care about, and have the story affect characters in a realistic and meaningful way, you have no story.

Write a story without worrying about character? Do this, and you'll write a lousy story. Unless, I suppose, you're good enough to make wonderful characters without thinking about it.

Creep

Banned
Reaction score
Depends what you mean by likeable. I love characters that I'd be afraid of, or worry about. Somebody I wouldn't want to be left alone with too long. What makes them interesting isn't that they donate to charity. What is a likeable character? Somebody that works at a soup kitchen and doesn't forget birthdays?

In my opinion, likeable characters aren't likebale. I need to see their flaws, and understand why they did what they did.

nicotine027

Registered
Reaction score
Depends what you mean by likeable. I love characters that I'd be afraid of, or worry about. Somebody I wouldn't want to be left alone with too long. What makes them interesting isn't that they donate to charity. What is a likeable character? Somebody that works at a soup kitchen and doesn't forget birthdays?

In my opinion, likeable characters aren't likebale. I need to see their flaws, and understand why they did what they did.

100% agree! Many of my characters are unlikable and detestable people. When I write them, I try to think like them and less like myself (because...I'd like to believe I'm a good person, haha). I try to get into that character's head as much as possible. If I really want to make the reader feel something...feel almost consumed by the character, I like to write terrible characters in first person. It's haunting, when you're reading about a detestable person from their direct POV.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
I think with unlikeable characters, they have to be intriguing. As others have said, a criminal character might have very strong moral values but they are warped. Characters with moral conviction in what they do are interesting. Unlikeable characters can reflect on our own bad thoughts- we might wish that we were more selfish and had affairs/more ruthless in the workplace/ said and did whatever we wanted, or we might want a glimpse of what that would be like.