Writing a successful Goodreads ad?

Interfaced

Incoming Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.futureconscience.com
Morning all,

So with the release of my debut novel last week, I've begun looking into paid advertising opportunities and decided to put a little bit down to test out an ad block on Goodreads. I'm interested in hearing from others about how best to word such a block to make it successful, or is it merely a numbers game and these kind of ads aren't too effective?

In the last five days or so the ad for When Winter Calls has received 9,811 impressions with just 2 clicks. My opening text for the ad was as follows:

(Cover of book)
When Winter Calls
Corporate utopias, neural
interfaces and future technology
come together in this sci-fi
action thriller. One for fans of
Philip K Dick!

I have just recently changed the title text to read 'What do we want to be?' as the title of the book is visible in the thumbnail image and I thought that something more evocative might prove a bigger draw. Will let you know if that makes much of a difference.

What do you think? How would you change the ad text, and have you had much success with Goodread ads in the past?

Thanks!

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I did GR ads for about a year and, in my opinion, it's very much a numbers game. The best suggestion I have to offer is to create multiple versions of your ad (including different images) and rotate through them.

The biggest drawback is that you're competing with larger, graphic-rich ads that are placed more prominently. They're only available to advertisers who want to spend thousands of dollars per month, which rules out many self-published authors.