• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

May I beta read your first chapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Done for now, next break I will do this again.

I'm upping it to 2 chapters. After, reading just one chapter I found it wasn't enough to give reasonable feedback.

I'm not an super-experienced beta reader, so I'd like the opportunity to read several different styles and genres to beef up my skills. I'd also like to do this as much as possible until September when I may be getting a full novel to beta read. I'd like to not suck at it.

All I ask in return is a critique of my betaing :), like was I too easy, too hard, did I make sense, no sense, was I helpful, etc.

I will read just about anything. I typically don't like for present tense or YA, but I'll still read it. I'm likely to be more negative though so be forewarned. I blush easily, so no erotica.

I ask that you've cleaned out as many of the mechanical errors as possible (I understand the level of cleanliness will vary). That way I can read it without much distraction.

Along with the first chapter, I'd like a logline so I know the direction of the piece. And you should let me know the genre too I suppose. ;)

Please PM me if you're interested.

Thanks to auzerais for giving me this idea!

edited to add: I have beta'd two novels and several short stories, but now that people have beta read my stuff I have a better feel the process.

Last edited:

Doc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you interested in betaing a historical novel? Post WWII Germany. PM please if interested and I'll send Ch. 1

Doc

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
I would love to take you up on that offer :) I have a contemporary/kind of dystopian thing going, no erotica in the first 2 chapters. About an interfaith couple in a race ghetto. Might that interest you?

jenndoss

Registered
Reaction score
I have a MG manuscript that I would love to have the first 2 chapters critiqued. Let me know if you are interested. If it's not your thing, I understand. You said YA wasn't your favorite so I am not sure if MG is any more attractive.

sgcassidy

longue vie et de la vodka
Registered
Reaction score
How about a prologue and first chapter of a thriller?

Arcturus

Registered
Reaction score
Horror story, but the first two chapters are the introduction of two the main characters, nothing happens.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like MG! I PM'd you jenndoss.

I think I've responded to everyone who has PM'd me or posted here. If I haven't, ding me again. :)

Last edited:

SageChild

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,

Are you interested in reading the first two chapters of my novel? I have a crime and drama novel about a woman who joins a criminal company. If you still have time, I would love to send you my work.

Gala

Status
Not open for further replies.