Hello, I'm new here

Oshan

Registered
Reaction score
Hello there.

I'm Oshan, and I'm new here and hoping to find a nice place to come for talk about writing. I think this might be it.

I've been interested in writing and being an author since I was little. I grew up in a household that admired authors and artists above most other people, and, as a teenager, I went through several pretentious writing phases (James Joyce, Samuel Beckett, T.S. Eliot, e.e. Cummings, to name just a few) and have since landed somewhere more basic, though I admire a good turn of phrase above most things in a book. Maybe that's a bad thing. I understand that story should be king now. I didn't used to. I used to think that if it was fun for me to write it must be fun to read, but not so. But as I said, I'm still a fan of a beautiful paragraph that can knock me off my feet for the sheer truth and power of it, and that kind of beauty is what I strive for in my own work.

I've written quite a bit, but it wasn't until last year that I decided to do NaNoWriMo and won. Up to that point I'd always written written strange avante garde stuff that was meandering and pointless and full of beautiful pointless writing. But during NaNoWriMo I did something entirely different, just to see, and wrote a fantasy novel. I'd never written anything in that genre before, though I love me some good fantasy novels. And as a result I got to taste what it was like to actually FINISH a project and what it was like to just tell a STORY. That taught me so much. And now I'm trying to write another novel in a more realistic, literary fashion that combines some of my experiences. Maybe this point of view is less than favorable, but it's what I do. I love it. I love writing.

Nowadays I love Cormac McCarthy, William Faulkner, Ursula K. LeGuin, John Banville, Donna Tartt, and Haruki Murakami, among many many others.

Hope to make some good new friends here who can help me along my way and who maybe I can help too!

Oshan

Corsairs

Saying it twice for truth
Registered
Reaction score
That's a really great story, Oshan. It takes a lot of courage to jump into a genre that you've never written in before, let alone to finish a whole story in the effort. As a fantasy writer myself, I hope you stick with our little genre. It's a great one, indeed. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

jlmott

Hello, I must be going
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Oshan! Finishing a novel, whatever it is, is a big deal. Wish you luck on your next endeavour, and hope you find what you're looking for here.