James Harrison says NO on participation trophies.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Nobody said anything about not recognizing effort, just that they shouldn't get a PARTICIPATION TROPHY.

What the hell's the difference? Recognition is recognition - the fact that kids came, made an effort, did their best - why does it bother so many people that they get a trophy instead of ice cream?

(And btw - the trophies I bought for my kids cost me a whopping $20 - for the whole team.)

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon." - Napoleon Bonaparte

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Okay, one last time...

Participation awards are, according to some, BAD. So someone who doesn't go all out and earn an award shouldn't get one. So someone who sits on a bench for 90% of total game times should not get an award just because they were there. Erego, benchwarmers on winning teams should not get any awards simply because they were part of the team. They were just there.
I understood you perfectly the first time. I just don't think your point is particularly strong or well made.

Again, you asked for the logic behind the idea that everyone on a team deserved recognition of some sort when the team won a championship, even though not all of the players contributed equally (i.e. there are "benchwarmers"). So again, the logic is simple and obvious. Second-string and bench players can contribute in many different ways, especially through the course of an entire season. Whether or not their contributions were equal to the top players on the team isn't really relevant, especially since many teams like to give special awards inside the team, to MVPs and the like. So do many leagues.

The idea that a team sharing a championship is equivalent to participation awards in some sense is just nonsensical, imo.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the winning team didn't have an opposing team to play, they most assuredly could not have won. Ergo, everyone on the losing team "contributes," too.

So there. :tongue

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
The idea that a team sharing a championship is equivalent to participation awards in some sense is just nonsensical, imo.

And making a distinction between the two is just as nonsensical to me. People get an award for being there.