• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Tiny House Publishing

CathieArms

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on Tiny House Publishers? I can't find ANYTHING on them, but they're posting under #MSWL on Twitter and I queried them. Their editor read my first 50 and wanted more so I've sent her the rest. The bummer is that I can't find ANY information on them. Even their author list is in the process of being "updated."

I'm not opposed to a newer publishing house if they have a lot going for them. I like that this one says they can offer small advances (which I really don't care about) and their royalties are on the higher end of normal. So this appeals to me. But only if they're for real.

Anyone have ANY information on them?

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
If that's them, let me go ahead and count the red flags here.

1) "Independent book publisher." I see this phrase used by vanity presses (Author Solutions, anyone?) to avoid looking like vanity presses.
2) Lack of authors and more importantly lack of books. A publisher's job is to put books in readers' hands. They can't do that without a list of authors and books that they've published.
3) The site is geared toward authors, not readers. Again, the publisher's job is to put books in readers' hands, not take them from writers' hands.
4) I'm skeptical of a publishing house that can't find the | key (see their site name and the I in its place), but that might just be me.
5) Their contact email is "scgauthors" which has nothing to do with either the publishing house or the people most likely to look on a publisher's page, i.e. readers.
6) Typo on their submission guidelines: "revise adn resubmit". Also "maniscript" for "manuscript" on the same page.
7) No employees listed. That's a red flag. You can't trace their qualifications if you don't know who they are.
8) Copyright 2023. What?
9) The person under whose name the copyright is registered has no web presence whatsoever, except that she seems to also run a design company: http://mundadesign.wix.com/munda-design#!contact/c23a6

Run away. Run away NOW. Even if this person is well-intentioned, I see literally nothing that would indicate they have any qualifications to publish. It looks more like the Great Idea(TM) of a person who has many such great ideas, and you can't follow through on all of them.

CathieArms

Registered
Reaction score
If that's them, let me go ahead and count the red flags here.

Dangit! You think they're a vanity publisher? I hadn't even thought THAT...but was concerned that they were legit. I'm concerned that they don't have a single title listed, so I can't even talk to their authors to get feedback on their experiences. I thought maybe they were just really new. They said they offer small advances and list their royalties at being at the higher end of the industry.

Uggh! I'm going to look at them a bit more closely, but I think you're probably spot-on for most of your red flags. Dangit. But thanks for validating some of my own concerns.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Dangit! You think they're a vanity publisher? I hadn't even thought THAT...but was concerned that they were legit. I'm concerned that they don't have a single title listed, so I can't even talk to their authors to get feedback on their experiences. I thought maybe they were just really new. They said they offer small advances and list their royalties at being at the higher end of the industry.

Uggh! I'm going to look at them a bit more closely, but I think you're probably spot-on for most of your red flags. Dangit. But thanks for validating some of my own concerns.

Based on their offer of small advances, and especially their not being open to submissions all the time, I think they're probably not an author mill. They might very well be well intentioned people. But I see nothing to indicate they have any kind of skills that would make them able to give your book the attention it deserves, and that's just as bad in some ways as a vanity press. An unskilled publisher won't get your book good distribution, or give you many sales figures and royalties, but they'll take your first print rights (and possibly many others) and make it much harder for you to sell the book to a more skilled publisher down the line.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Red Flag 10) Used a free website creation service to create their website rather than getting it professionally designed. Points to (possible) lack of money.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I would wait a few years. See what kind of books they produce. Wait for what the covers are going to look like and how well their books do.

CathieArms

Registered
Reaction score
Ugghh! And of course I received an e-mail from them today offering a contract contingent upon revisions. I have no issues with revisions in general, but one of the concerns they had was that my 6 year old character was "too old" for her age and would like to see her age rewritten as a bit older. I'd like to hear more from them, but this is a concern to me because much of the child's dialogue and conversation was taken directly from six years olds. I hate when people want to "dumb down" children. They're a lot smarter and more intuitive than we give them credit for being.

Decisions, decisions. I'd like to contact their current authors (2 of them) and I'd like to see what specific revisions they want, as well as the contract and how they intend to handle publicity. I have no problem, generally speaking with new/small publishers (my current publisher is both and I'm thrilled with them), but I don't want to walk into this blind.

Thanks for the feedback up to this point. Would be thrilled with any other thoughts you may have.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
IMO, if you walk into this blind, it's by choice. The red flags, all ten of them, are all still fluttering in the breeze. Ignore them at your peril. Several of those red flags are absolute deal breakers to me, and it's not like I'm some well-established writer.

The publisher does not seem to be in the business of selling books, period. That's enough right there. Even clueless start-ups realize they have to produce and sell books.

The lone five-star review for Emma Leigh Reed's book appears to have been removed at Amazon, although its rating remains. That suggests--not proves, just suggests--somebody got caught gaming the system. The five star review of Sara Cremano's first book was posted the day it was published and is the person's only review of anything.

The co-author of Sara Cremeno's book is Colleen Leigh Genest, whose picture is the same as Emma Leigh Reed's. Nothing wrong with using a pseudonym for each genre, but the fact that Genest has had a hand in every book published makes me wonder if she is the owner.

"Sara owns a business to help her fellow authors succeed by writing truly thoughtful and thought provoking reviews of their literary works." Is that reviews for money? Golly gee, could those reviews be biased? (https://cindyshea.wordpress.com/2014/07/21/mywritingprocess/ --and I found an article noting that Sara, Colleen, and Cindy Shea, whose website that's on, are friends [http://nhwritersproject.org/content/three-writers-find-friendship-kindred-souls-writers’-night-out])

The contact info at Tiny House is scgauthors. Shea, Cremeno, Genest, ? I dunno, but maybe. This suggests three writers decided to start a publishing house, though none has ever worked for one.

I'm with JetFueledCar. Run.

Maryn

CathieArms

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn,
Thank you. I deeply appreciate the feedback. I haven't made a firm decision in any direction, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I have some serious concerns. I'm not one to just jump into things, so I'll take the time to consider this fully before making a decision. This manuscript is still out with about seven agents, so I FOR SURE won't be signing any contracts until I've heard back from each of them.

Last edited:

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.princessofpirates.wordpress.com
Kind of an aside, but all of the generic clip art on the site really bugs me. They can't find a single one of their own books worth displaying on their page?

And then, once you actually find the page where the books are displayed, there's no way to buy them. :grumble:

Last edited:

CathieArms

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah - I'll admit I'm more than little nervous. Hmmm...I haven't made any decisions yet, but the red flags concern me. On the other hand, I took a similar HUGE leap of faith with my current publisher and couldn't be happier. I'm going to see what they have to say. It may be a moot point anyway if we can't agree on the contract and, having been down this road once already, I know exactly what I feel must be included in the contact for me to take a step forward. It'll be interesting to see, but I will MOST DEFINITELY be weighing the feedback I've received here very heavily.

Thanks and you guys! I really appreciate it!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Gotta be honest here: be skeptical about any glowing testimonials you get from new authors at a new publisher. All too often, those authors were clueless to start with, and may be in the honeymoon phase where all is shiny and happy.

Choosing a publisher should be closer to a quantifiable business analysis than a leap of faith.

In five years of being on AW, I've found two publishers I took a chance on (before my usual two-year limit). One showed warning signs two weeks after I queried them; I was happy to get that rejection letter.) One was this week, but they have advantages: been in the business, verifiable skills, adequate capital and staff. Even then, I'm only giving them a short story, and they're good enough they'll probably reject it.

Last edited:

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
It looks like both these two listed Authors work together as an Editing team (as seen on LinkedIn profile for Emma) It doesn't say they offer their Editing services via Tiny House but it feels to me like they may own the co?
I assume the Editor responding to your submission gave her/his name and it wasn't one of the two Authors?

CathieArms

Registered
Reaction score
The responding editor was Sara Carboneau (?). I e-mailed Emma and she gave them a glowing review. Hmmm...if she's part of their editing team/part owner, that might be a problem for me. I need an independent opinion.

Y'all are truly awesome. I can't thank you enough for your feedback. My member status lists me as a "New Fish; learning about thick skin," but the truth is that new or not, I know all about thick skin. No need to flirt around what you want to say. I prefer plain speak in all things. :)

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.princessofpirates.wordpress.com
If she works for the publisher and didn't disclose that in the course of giving them a "glowing review," that alone is a problem, don't you think? And if it's in any way unclear what her relationship to the company is, if they're on the up and up, they should have no problem disclosing that, should you ask them to.

In any case, if this were me, I would definitely find out for sure before proceeding any further.

By the way, if the responding editor was Sara Cremeno, she is also one of their authors.

Last edited:

CathieArms

Registered
Reaction score
I just double-checked. It was Sara Carbonneau, not Cremeno. Yes - if Emma is on their staff or part owner and didn't disclose that, then I see that as a SERIOUS problem. That's something she should've freely offered in her critique to lend credibility to the company. I'll have to look into that further.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It took only a very small amount of sleuthing to learn Sara Cremeno is a dental assistant, married to Scott Carbonneau, a cabinet maker.

It seems she's putting on two hats, editor and author, and is not being transparent about it. Make that eleven red flags.

This sounds like an enterprise that isn't going to make it, speaking frankly. If it were me, I would haul ass.

Edit: Psst! Cathie! That image in your signature exceeds the maximum size we allow, 400 x 400 pixels or any other shape with the same total area. This isn't my board so I can't make you do anything about it, but you should probably fix it before the moderator insists.

Last edited:

CathieArms

Registered
Reaction score
Yikes! thank you for the heads up on the size. I'll fix it immediately! I appreciate the warning.

Very interesting about Sara Carbonneau/Cremeno. Dangit. I had red flags but you were a much better sleuth than I!

CathieArms

Registered
Reaction score
Edit: Psst! Cathie! That image in your signature exceeds the maximum size we allow, 400 x 400 pixels or any other shape with the same total area. This isn't my board so I can't make you do anything about it, but you should probably fix it before the moderator insists.

Better? :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Poifect! Big enough to see, small enough that people with data limits, dial-up connections, etc. can still function in this thread.

Once upon a time I moderated a chat which had a lot of people acting in bad faith. I got fairly good at ferreting out which new person was the person we'd recently banned just by chasing links on the internet, no hacking or anything. I used those skills here, although I won't bore you with everything I found:

Colleen Leigh Genest writes romance under the pen name Emma Leigh Reed. She is in her late 40s, divorced or widowed, the mother of three adult children and an empty nester. She uses the same photograph on both her Amazon bios. She has self-published books through CreateSpace and has books with Whiskey Creek, which had its authors subsidize the cost of setting up the publish-on-demand for each title. She has written or co-written all the books Tiny House has published.

Sara Cremeno is in her mid-20s and writes children's picture books with co-author Colleen Genest. She is married to Scott Carbonneau. She has favorably reviewed Reed's book at GoodReads and lists her as her favorite author, although she reads other authors more. She works as a dental hygienist and has worked with special needs children and adults in that capacity.

The two women attended a new Hampshire Writers' Night Out event in 2014 where coverage noted they were close friends and kindred souls with fellow writer Cindy Shea, who also had grown children and lives with her boyfriend on a farm.

The fact that the author and editor with whom you have had contact have not been open about their other involvement with the publishing company is disturbing to me. If Genest is one of the owners, of course when you contact her as an author, she's going to give her own business rave reviews.

Maryn, who ran out of time without finding much about Shea

CathieArms

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I'm completely speechless! I totally need you in my corner! I should've asked you about BookFish Books! Several author friends I know have received rather "interesting rejections from them. I won't bore you on a public forum, but I'd be glad to communicate it with you privately.

I'm really disappointed to hear that Emma is part of the hierarchy of Tiny House. I really think that that's something that honesty would've dictated that she tell me when I asked her author to author. It's disappointing that she didn't.

So much still to learn in this industry. I took a true leap of faith with my current publisher and have been extremely happy. They're not perfect, but I think -- especially for a small and new publishing house -- they've done a really nice job with my book and with the other authors I've met at the same publishing house. I'll know more when my book goes out in January, but for now everything is going smoothly.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
Maryn, wow, just wow, I'm in awe:)
I didn't see why you even mentioned Sara's husbands last name and then slowly, slowly a light bulb dawned (I'm old enough I don't have EOL anymore..(Instant On Lighting:) I'm fairly sure Emma used Sara's maiden name when she listed them on Linked in as an Ed team.
I don't like to believe there is anything dubious or dishonest going on with these ladies but rather they just thought this was a good idea to start up a publishing business, as writers often do, without really understanding they might take people down with them when it just doesn't work, which it mostly doesn't.
Naive or devious, it's probably best they just continue to publish each other and you steer clear. If Emma is part owner, or even if she works as Editor, she should have disclosed this to you in her email reply, that's for certain.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that there seems to be zero intent to deceive authors and that it's three like-minded writers who decided to start a publishing company when none of them had experience in the industry other than writing for publication. This doesn't mean they're out to hurt authors, nor does it mean their venture is doomed to failure--but both those things are possible, whether they intend those consequences or not.

Anybody can play this game, by the way. I just start with the obvious--publisher's website, Amazon bio, like that, and follow what I can. It helps me to keep notes and links so I can return to something when I get a ping on it, like reading in one place that Sara Cremeno has a new husband Scott and at another place that New Hampshire cabinetmaker Scott Carbonneau's bride is a writer of illustrated kids' books...

Maryn, no special skill set