Status
Not open for further replies.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
Hi, I didn't know whether to post here for technical help or the games section because it applies to games. Feel free to send it to it's rightful home.

Today we lost power unexpectedly. When the power came back on, my brother no longer could play games online. He did a speed test. He tried streaming videos. He played other games that don't require online connections. All of those worked fine. His internet speed is fine. But when he signs onto Steam or any other online place, he immediately pings like crazy and the lag is awful. I'm trying to help him out because he can be a bit prideful.

He reset the router and even shut off the virus scanner and firewall to see if that helped. It didn't.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
The problem is most likely some kind of file corruption caused by the bad shutdown. I would first run a check for filesystem errors with CHKDSK (I don't know what flavor of Windwoes you have, but there is some way to do it in all of them). It can be tedious, but it's worth it. Then you might get Complete Internet Repair, a free program that I carry around on my USB toolkit in case I run into odd situations like this.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kweei, did you find a solution to your problem?

This would probably be the right place to post your question, but I could move it to Games if you'd like.

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
Yes, sorry. It's been crazy.

It looks like it *may* be some weird interference with another program. He's going to try that first because it's been okay for 2 days now, but if not, I'll try Matera's suggestion.

Thanks so much. AW really does rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.