Could someone recommend me a YA Fantasy?

Mamitt

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure others have started threads similar to this. I don't seem to be very adept at searching the forums.
Anyway
I'm looking for a good read that will improve my writing as well as entertain me.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
M

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Pretty broad request, here... are you looking for a specific mood or theme, or a certain writing style, or more modern verses older classics, or... ?

Some recs off the top of the head:

The Alexander Cold trilogy (first book: City of the Beasts), by Isabel Allende: Fantasy in the modern world, where an American teen boy discovers hidden, mystical wonders and abilities in the far corners of the earth.

Graceling, by Kristen Cashore: A fantasy world where odd-eyed people display unique traits, from useless (holding breath for a long time) to potentially devastating (always being believed when speaking, or an unnatural talent for killing.) Katsa, one of these Gracelings, has been used by her cruel uncle for years as an enforcer thanks to her devastating martial skills... but she hates what he makes her do, and finds ways to subvert his orders. Great if you want a strong woman MC.

The Artemis Fowl series (first book: Artemis Fowl), by Eoin Colfer: A clever update on fairy lore pits Artemis Fowl, a boy criminal mastermind, against the underground Fairy nation, which not only has magic but technology centuries ahead of our own. Good if you want to study how to blend humor with a compelling story.

These might lean more toward MG than YA, but I'll also recommend Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series (first book: The Lightning Thief - a modern boy learns his absent father is a Greek god when monsters out of myth start attacking him), J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series (first book: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone/Philosopher's stone, US/UK titles - an orphaned son of wizards discovers his birthright when he receives an invitation to a magical school), and Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus books (first book: The Amulet of Samarkand - an alternate-modern world is ruled by magicians, who get their absolute power by enslaving spirits).

If you're bored, hit the link in my signature for my reviews for more; I try to keep the first parts neutral, so just read the Descriptions if you only want an idea of what the book's about, not a review.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding Percy Jackson really, really hard. I love Riordan's world.

Also, Dark Star by Bethany Frenette. The third book just came out and I'm rereading and it's really good. And helping me with my own writing a lot.

​And Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes. Kickass female MC with a unique superpower. Her Naturals series is really good too, but thriller, not fantasy.

KateH

[insert witty title here]
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding the recommendation for Graceling.

Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven Cycle books (first book is The Raven Boys) are some of the best YA fantasy I've ever read. The writing and the characters are superb. Contemporary fantasy featuring ley lines, dead Welsh kings and psychics. The Scorpio Races by the same author is a really good standalone novel, about an island where every year people compete to race dangerous water horses.

Frances Hardinge's books have absolutely beautiful writing, and very creative worldbuilding. The books of hers that I've read (A Face Like Glass and Gullstruck Island) have been upper MG, but she also has a YA book, Cuckoo Song, which I've heard great things about :)

Mamitt

Registered
Reaction score
Pretty broad request, here... are you looking for a specific mood or theme, or a certain writing style, or more modern verses older classics, or... ?

Yes. Sorry about that. Had a little problem with narrowing it down.
But thank you for your suggesition, and also for this:

If you're bored, hit the link in my signature for my reviews for more; I try to keep the first parts neutral, so just read the Descriptions if you only want an idea of what the book's about, not a review.

M