How should I go about discussing the books I'm reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Dog Smith

Registered
Reaction score
I thought about posting on here about the books I'm reading. I don't read really obscure stuff so I thought there might be some discussion.

But there are a lot of forums on here. I thought the best place would be Writing Genre. There's a thread in the sci-fi section called "What are you reading now?" or some such.

However, most people just post short tidbits about books they recommend. Not sure if it's a good place for spoilers and stuff.

I thought about making a thread for each book.

Before I did anything, I thought I'd check with you guys concerning where I should post.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Every book in it's own thread? Or should I slap it all in the "What are you reading now?" bit with spoiler tags?

The What are you reading? thread is good for if you want to make a short comment about what you're reading. Members following along with that thread often make short comments of their own in reply. If you'd like to start a more in-depth discussion about a book, giving it its own thread is better as it means it is more likely to be noticed by other members who might be interested in participating. Check the index to see if a thread already exists for the book. Please also read A word regarding Spoilers!

Mad Dog Smith

Registered
Reaction score
The What are you reading? thread is good for if you want to make a short comment about what you're reading. Members following along with that thread often make short comments of their own in reply. If you'd like to start a more in-depth discussion about a book, giving it its own thread is better as it means it is more likely to be noticed by other members who might be interested in participating. Check the index to see if a thread already exists for the book. Please also read A word regarding Spoilers!

TY, Soph. I clicked on the "Song of Ice and Fire" thread, because I'm reading the first Game of Thrones book. The link did not take me anywhere. It said I should notify a moderator if I clicked on a valid link, which I believe I did.

I guess I'll be starting my own thread in the pop section.

Thanks again for the info.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Mad Dog Smith, thanks for the heads up. I've fixed the link in the index. You can find the thread you were looking for here.

Mad Dog Smith

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Sophia. Unfortunately this seemed better in my head than it did in practice. I actually wrote a thread last night that I didn't post.

I just don't think anybody wants to hear my random musing on these chapters. I didn't even wanna read them. The only thing that might work is me poking my head in the "What are your reading thread" and saying something like, "Oh, snap! You see what the Mountain That Rides Did!? Holy Cow!!!"

I just don't think book discussion transfer well into the forum realm. I can't recreate the atmosphere you get in real life when you're talking about things with your buddies.

Status
Not open for further replies.