Woman runs a marathon without a tampon to prove a point

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Is everyone quite done with cray? I'd like to dispose of him, if you don't mind.

eta:

et tu, Kyla? et tu?

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Is everyone quite done with cray? I'd like to dispose of him, if you don't mind.

eta:

et tu, Kyla? et tu?

Drag him to the royalty thread in Office Party. I'll throw him on the rack for you. ;)

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I know someone who was having the puberty talk with her daughter and explaining menstruation and pads and tampons and things... and after she was done, her daughter just stared at her for a while and then made this horrified face and said, "That's what we do about it? We send people into space and make computers insides watches, but... we haven't figured out a better way to deal with periods? What are scientists doing?"

She has a point....

Shovel-shaped incisors indicate Native American or East Asian ancestors.

I feel like I have pronounced shovel teeth that I can't seem to brush very well. Does anyone else have shovel teeth and have trouble getting the backs of them clean? All my other teeth will feel smooth after brushing, but no matter how hard I try or at what angle, I can't seem to brush all the grit from the backs of my top incisors.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
I very rarely need a bathroom while I'm running, even if I'm running for hours, unless I'm suffering from a bowel complaint (which has only happened during a marathon). I can't think of the last time I stopped a run for a bathroom break.

And congratulations for being able to do that much. (The running I mean.)

Running on a treadmill is so desperately boring I find it hard to do for more than half an hour at a time, even with music. And my brain doesn't roam free as it does when I run outside.

I have to agree with you there. Now that I think about it, I run best when I'm running with a goal in mind. (Ex: Basketball, ultimate frisbee, etc.) A treadmill makes me feel like a hamster on a wheel.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Of course they are. We are totally normal here. *flicks earwax at dead-animal skull on kitchen counter*

Flicks dried booger at ElaineA

Now I'm having serious gross flashbacks about how one of my boy cousins had a booger hall of fame display on the wall over his bed (that's what he called it).

Ew.

And I agree with Cassandra that distance running tends to be a constipating experience. Stress hormones tend to shut down bowel function for a while. But if someone's got something brewing in their gut already, it's probably different.

You know what's been absent from this conversation so far, though? Farting. So fun to be running behind someone who's "tooting" with every stride.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I feel like I have pronounced shovel teeth that I can't seem to brush very well. Does anyone else have shovel teeth and have trouble getting the backs of them clean? All my other teeth will feel smooth after brushing, but no matter how hard I try or at what angle, I can't seem to brush all the grit from the backs of my top incisors.
I've got a Sonicare electric toothbrush and I wonder if it would do the trick for you. (It's this one.) My teeth have never been cleaner.

It's funny though, when we got it, there was this condescending caution notice that the vibrations were very intense and that the toothbrush would ramp up to full-spaz in fourteen uses. Well, I thought this was silly. "I think I can handle brushing my teeth, jackasses." Then, I put it in my mouth and almost hit the ceiling. Holy crap, you really do have to get used to it - which you do. Now it's completely pleasant.

BarII

Banned
Reaction score
Brushing normally, only twice daily with a regular toothbrush, could cause gum damage, raising the risk of infection and even heart problems. There was a study. The SpazBrush sounds like a bad idea for gums.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Endometriosis is pretty gross to think about. I compare it more to an alien than purely gross stuff, because it really does feel like something is trying to claw its way through my lower abdomen when my period hits. But it's some strange kind of migrant tissue that spreads around in the body cavity and then gets inflamed and bleeds when the uterus bleeds! I don't know exactly why it hurts so much, but it's certainly a very weird condition.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Brushing normally, only twice daily with a regular toothbrush, could cause gum damage, raising the risk of infection and even heart problems. There was a study. The SpazBrush sounds like a bad idea for gums.
I dunno, we get great marks on our checkups. It's an intense, tickling feeling, but the bristles are quite soft.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Since we're talking teeth and spit...

My teeth never get gritty. They're easy to clean with a very soft toothbrush, and I have the quickest dental cleanings ever. After two years without a cleaning, that was still the case. My dentist said that some people's saliva causes them to develop more plaque and gunk on their teeth, and I'm on the reverse end of the spectrum.

That fascinated me. But I suppose if people can have different ear wax, why not different saliva.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
I have to agree with you there. Now that I think about it, I run best when I'm running with a goal in mind. (Ex: Basketball, ultimate frisbee, etc.) A treadmill makes me feel like a hamster on a wheel.

Treadmill desk.

I agree that goal-oriented running is best. I'm going to invent a treadmill that is connected to a barrel of urine. If you don't run x miles in y minutes, numbers specified ahead of time, the treadmill takes a piss all over the floor. And it shouts "I HAVE TO PEEEE!" when you fall out of pace.

I'm going to be a billionaire.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
At least runners aren't cyclists.

Peeing while riding is the rule, not the exception, for them.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
What a way to make a statement. I saw this thread a few times and backed away, but really? I would think she's missed the point of etiquette if she's confusing it with shame. I'm sure this has been well argued, since we've moved on to piss and toothbrushes...but gah. I know the visitor is a normal part of the body's functioning. So is shitting. I ain't never gonna let the shitty shits run down mah leg, momma. Ain't nevah!

- - - Updated - - -

For real?

Yes, for real. You would stop to pee while racing? Give your head a shake!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'd pee before the race lol. I always figured you'd sweat enough to not need to pee during.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
Treadmill desk.

I agree that goal-oriented running is best. I'm going to invent a treadmill that is connected to a barrel of urine. If you don't run x miles in y minutes, numbers specified ahead of time, the treadmill takes a piss all over the floor. And it shouts "I HAVE TO PEEEE!" when you fall out of pace.

I'm going to be a billionaire.

No you won't. I don't need your fancy shmansy inventions for me to pee myself. I'm fully capable of doing that to myself when I dream of going to the bathroom.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
I was gonna say she should have worn a tampon because that's simply gross, then I thought, but she's making a very valid point... And I agree period shaming is wrong.

BUT: I cringe at people stinking up the place with air-exposed period blood, anal or urinary "accidents", flatulence, or other stink, because that is no longer solely their own business. If it's just a stain on her, fine, I don't care, but the moment she sits down somewhere other people are also supposed to sit after her, or if someone wets their pants and soaks a seat on the bus (this happened!), or if people have to hold their breath because of the stench, that is not okay and has nothing to do with stigma - it's disgusting and inconsiderate and absolutely everyone's business. There is no justified social movement to legitimize that. Same with excessive noise, sure, talk on the train but try and quiet your baby down, it really physically hurts the ears at a certain point.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I can't imagine anyone who wasn't dealing with an exceptional circumstance being nonchalant in public about soiling themselves with urine or feces, though it would be awful to have it happen when you need to get home on public transit. I suppose I'd buy a newspaper and wrap it around myself, but newspapers aren't as easy to come by as they used to be.

Yeech, hope that never happens. There was a "This American Life" broadcast about celiac disease on public radio once, and it discussed the whole issue of diarrhea meltdowns in public. I felt so horrible for the people telling the stories (many had been plagued with bowel issues for years before they were diagnosed).

I remember tying a sweatshirt around my waist a time or two because of period leaks, though. Sometimes it comes on unexpectedly, or is heavier than usual, or you run out of products when you're at work or school. And when I had the bad fibroids, I could literally hemorrhage at the drop of a hat. It happened during a riding lesson once, and another time during a job interview--both times when I couldn't just drop everything and race to the bathroom. I wore a tampon and pad at all times during that stage of my life, but they would be soaked within 15 min.

One strangely embarrassing experience I had in college was when I spilled a cup of tepid (fortunately) coffee with creamer on my lap before a class. I was wearing white pants, and it left a pale tan stain across my crotch, exactly where the stain would be if I'd pee'd myself. Fortunately, there was a strong coffee smell, so anyone who was close by would know it wasn't pee. But from a distance, it looked like I'd had an accident.

Ignore the coffee odor.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
I can't imagine anyone who wasn't dealing with an exceptional circumstance being nonchalant in public about soiling themselves with urine or feces, though it would be awful to have it happen when you need to get home on public transit. I suppose I'd buy a newspaper and wrap it around myself, but newspapers aren't as easy to come by as they used to be.

Yeech, hope that never happens. There was a "This American Life" broadcast about celiac disease on public radio once, and it discussed the whole issue of diarrhea meltdowns in public. I felt so horrible for the people telling the stories (many had been plagued with bowel issues for years before they were diagnosed).

I remember tying a sweatshirt around my waist a time or two because of period leaks, though. Sometimes it comes on unexpectedly, or is heavier than usual, or you run out of products when you're at work or school. And when I had the bad fibroids, I could literally hemorrhage at the drop of a hat. It happened during a riding lesson once, and another time during a job interview--both times when I couldn't just drop everything and race to the bathroom. I wore a tampon and pad at all times during that stage of my life, but they would be soaked within 15 min.

One strangely embarrassing experience I had in college was when I spilled a cup of tepid (fortunately) coffee with creamer on my lap before a class. I was wearing white pants, and it left a pale tan stain across my crotch, exactly where the stain would be if I'd pee'd myself. Fortunately, there was a strong coffee smell, so anyone who was close by would know it wasn't pee. But from a distance, it looked like I'd had an accident.

Ignore the coffee odor.
You're probably right, it usually doesn't happen if the person can help it. With tampons for example. But damn, I nearly sat down on a pissed-on seat once, it's just...

What people can help though, is bodily odour. Take a damn shower and do your laundry.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score

Ignore the coffee odor.

I did that at a professional conference once and I didn't have time to change before I had to speak. It cured my fear of public speaking. :)