Wanting to try alligator

Caters

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I wondered if there was any place that had alligator in Columbus, Ohio. The reason? I heard that alligator tastes like a cross between fish and chicken and thought that if I like chicken and I like fish, I might like alligator.

So I looked up "Alligator in Columbus, Ohio" since I am not willing to travel 1000 miles to the south just to try alligator. 1 of the results was a restaurant called Creole Kitchen. Their homepage says that they have fried gator. But I looked at the online menu and nowhere did it mention gator.

I then searched "How far is Creole Kitchen from here?" It had my location set at westerville(Which is actually pretty close to my actual location). It said it was 14 miles away and would take about half an hour.

So I am thinking of maybe going to Creole Kitchen with my mom and dad next weekend to try alligator.

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Not fish and chicken, but fishy pork

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Reminds me of scallops.
In color, maybe. And perhaps if you only have scallops deep fried. But way more texture and bite to the meat. To me, it tastes like 'gator. Pretty good but not to die for.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Caters, you might want to look at the Yelp reviews for Creole Kitchen. Sounds like the food is pretty good, but they're mostly carryout in a somewhat sketchy area of town. Not a sit-down/get-served kind of place.

I've eaten gator. It's okay. Kind of chewy, a little fishy. Nothing to write home about.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
I tried it a while back in Florida, but it was jerky... and it tends to be hard to know what an animal tastes like from eating the dried meat. I remember it tastes like chicken, but a bit spicy.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it tasted like calamari, and the texture, when calamari is hot and soft. It's delicious. Pappadeaux's over here has them.

fivetoesten

Registered
Reaction score
I've eaten gator that was pressure cooked and then deep fried. Gator meat is a bit tough. It tasted and looked like chicken McNuggets, more or less.