So we suddenly have a kitten...

heza

Registered
Reaction score
We have full integration!

6338eb1c-1227-4c59-b186-5a7823f069da.jpg

4f72c8f6-9e68-4159-a36d-1515d3103cc5.jpg

For a very long while, it seemed, Oliver appreciated the system of baby gates and portable fences because he seemed to hate Maddie. She was big, she was loud, and she chased him whenever she got the chance, so we kept them apart. All of a sudden, he started to warm up to her. When we had the portable fence up, they would lie down right next to each other, as close as the fence would let them. He still didn't like her when she was on the same side of the fence, though. Then, last week, he decided he was completely done with barriers of any kind, and we found it really difficult to keep him contained. That was a full week of hissing and mad-dash sprinting all over the house while he was trying to claim territory.

And now, they're like the pictures. He's doing that thing where he sneaks up on her and pounces on her head. And he antagonizes her so she'll chase him around the house. If she falls behind, he waits. They're best buds, now, and I am so relieved. There were times I really thought it wouldn't happen.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
Woohoo! My new-ish indoor cat is still in the running and hissing phase...

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Excellent! I'm glad they're getting along so well.

Is that dog a landseer? Newfies are usually gentle souls.

Funny story: Fate brought her to me, so I got her as is (as in, I didn't go seeking a certain breed). She was 8 weeks when I got her, and the vet I took her to told me she was a newfie. He prepped me for rough times ahead with a Very Large Dog, so I was hyper-vigilant about planning for a Very Large Dog. But she's short and never got over 55 lbs. (well, in her youth. Now she's carrying a little extra weight, just like her owner).

She also looks a lot like a Stabyhoun, but they're a rare breed in the US that I really doubt would have shown up where and how I got her. What I think is most likely is that she's a border collie mix. It's never been a priority, obviously, but someday, I'd like to send off for one of those genetic kits to see what she's mixed with—I've been guessing some kind of spaniel.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'd like to send off for one of those genetic kits to see what she's mixed with—I've been guessing some kind of spaniel.

I'd be leery of those. I know a vet who did an informal study where she got people who have mixed breeds of known parentage, and the results had very little accuracy. Her border collie/shitzu mix came back as a mini pin mix, for instance.

I subbed one for this dog some years ago:
85348b71-f3a9-43a8-bf4a-6b4810c240b3_zpsqllkupb1.jpg

(she weighed about 50 pounds) and the results told me she was a dachshund mix and the rest unknown. Now it's possible that one of her ancestors was a dachshund, but there are probably about a 100 breeds (based on both her behavior and her appearance) she had more of. Her legs were of normal length, so any dachshund had to be at least 2 generations back.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, yay! They're so cute.

There's something about the chasing and then waiting for the slowpoke that gets me every time. It's so endearing.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I love it when dogs and cats are buds and play. I used to have a dog and cat that would wrassle and play chase in our teeny apartment. Things got knocked over sometimes, but it was still cute.