• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Voice Consistency

Status
Not open for further replies.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
One thing I'd suggest, as it helps me, is listening to specific songs that you associate with your character and her outlook on life.

I do this too, it's a great tool.

"Voice" is (IMO) one of the most elusive things to pin down, but in the end I think a lot of it comes down to how well you know your characters and their world. I started my current MS with a clear idea of my narrator's voice, and it didn't change *significantly* throughout the story. BUT, I'm also a pantser which meant that I learned more about her as I wrote... and in edit I did have to go back and do some tweaking to the early chapters to bring the voice into line with how it had evolved. For instance, my narrator definitely has a sarcastic streak, but it toned down a bit as the story went on and I felt I needed to trim a couple of spots early on where it was more intense than it needed to be.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
So I've just started a new piece and I love my narrator's mega-sassy voice.

I'm just worried about keeping it up for 60k more words...

Any tips?

Yeah.

Stop worrying about it and write your story. Let the story carry the voice, and don't force things. Too many writers worry too much about "voice" and not enough about "story".

caw

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah.

Stop worrying about it and write your story. Let the story carry the voice, and don't force things. Too many writers worry too much about "voice" and not enough about "story".

caw

What he said.

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
Great advice so far. The only thing I might add is that when you read something you've already written in order to find the right voice again, maybe it should be the same page each time. This way you will know for sure what you are shooting for every time you start to wander.

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with what Once! and Sage said. I'm not an expert, but when I feel like I'm losing a character's voice, I go back to a scene where I felt like the character was most in character (or I was the most out of the way--however you want to look at it), and reread that scene to try to get back in the groove. I often end up identifying one quintessential scene for each character that I go back to again and again to check for consistency.

Personally I think tone shifts are the hardest part about keeping the voice consistent. Because it needs to be in character without always being the same. Like if you have a super bubbly character but then terrible things happen that force her out of that natural bubbly mode. I find I really have to discover all the layers to my character. Maybe it would be interesting to think about when your character *wouldn't* be sassy. What would push her out of that mode? And what would make her really dial up the sassiness?

ETA: In case it wasn't clear, I'm not just referring to dialogue, but also to narration that's done in the character's voice.

Last edited:

Lifeline

Into the Cold
Registered
Reaction score
For me a theme-song works every time. Like a charm. Each of my two main MC's has one and putting this song on one-loop always sinks me deep into these characters. And then I won't have to worry about voice, because I will be speaking from this one's true heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.