AugNoWriMo 2015!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So with camp almost over, it's time to get back to our regularly scheduled thread. My goals haven't changed much; I'm still plugging away at finishing the first draft of Book 3 of my series, and have enough uncompleted goals from July to keep me busy. Not sure what August will be like for me; my current production closes on the 9th, and then I'll have a two-day drive home, where a one-night gig awaits, as well as a possible trip with my husband (although my inclination right now is to just stay home - I haven't seen my house since early June).

That's all that's on my calendar for August right now, although my schedule has a way of filling up suddenly and taking me by surprise. Think I'll give myself a conservative writing goal for the month, but I sure hope it gets me closer to finishing this draft, which is getting more massive by the day. Editing is going to be a bear.

Write 10k words of final draft of Book #3 of fantasy series - 0 out of 10,000
Revise manuscript of Book #2 in series - 0 of 1
Write a blog post - 0 of 1
Read three books - 0 of 3

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Well, July and Camp was a bust for me. I'm much better now, although I still get tired much earlier than I used to, but at least I'm up for the whole day now. So I'm still going to take things easy, but I think I can up my goal a little this month. My goal is to write 250 words in each WIP each day, which would total 1,500 a day. I think that's doable. I may have to stretch a little, but it's not overwhelming.

Starting counts:

WIP #1: 38,733/70,000
WIP #2: 49,335/100,000

Series
Book 1: 7,214/50,000
Book 2: 40,844/50,000
Book 3: 2,252/50,000
Book 4: 4,157/50,000

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I did nothing in July, except read about 15 ebooks... Hrm. So the experiment of not making goals did not, in fact, make any real difference in whether I actually did things or not. (I started that experiment in June - wrote about 50k - and then in July did nothing... So it balances out to no real difference.)

So I may participate in this thread this month. Not sure what my goals should be...

Erm...

1. Finish "Little House" draft (about 20k left to go, I think).
2. Finish short story collection draft (probably less than 10k to go).

I'll keep it simple this time.

Ice_Twin

Registered
Reaction score
Boo! Any room for a newbie in here?

I've never participated in one of these before, but I lurked on the July thread and thought it might be really helpful.

WIP #1 - 32k/90k

I'd really like to write about 20k this month. So there it is, my stupidly ambitious goal.

0/20k

Ekkk

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
August Goals:

1. Finalise UF book 2/34
2. Fix Query.
3. Fix Synopsis.
4. Start agent list 0/20
5. Edit chapter one of Book 2 0/1
6. Write something unrelated
7. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited per day

The book involves two chapters that need extensive editing, a couple that might need a few paragraphs added, and the rest is minor sentence and word fixes. I know the last won't take long because I just did chapters 3 and 4. Not optimistic about the query, but it needs to be done. I figure I'll aim for about 20 agents on my list to start with. I've started already with some names but I haven't finished filling in all the notes and stuff on my spreadsheet. Goal five is if I finish the others, and write something is hopefully going to be finishing the current segment of a sf novel.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Boo! Any room for a newbie in here?

I've never participated in one of these before, but I lurked on the July thread and thought it might be really helpful.

WIP #1 - 32k/90k

I'd really like to write about 20k this month. So there it is, my stupidly ambitious goal.

0/20k

Ekkk

Plenty of room, Ice Twin - come on in!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go go Ice Twin!

A two-show day yesterday, so I didn't do anything toward my goals but read. I started Susanna Clark's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell and am really enjoying it, but the book's a whopper and will probably take me a while. I only have a matinee today, so as soon as i'm out of makeup I'm getting on the road for a little day-off getaway (I'm headed to Dauphin Island, off the Alabama coast). I might get some writing done; I might not. I'm certainly going to be taking a lot of pictures!

Last edited:

Ice_Twin

Registered
Reaction score
Ekkk. Well that didn't go to plan, no writing at all. Instead, I spent the entire day decorating

Total words still

2189/20k

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Ekkk. Well that didn't go to plan, no writing at all. Instead, I spent the entire day decorating

Total words still

2189/20k
Slacker! Haha. Just kidding. Anyways, I've been slacking too. Haven't written since the month started. Although I did do some prep work for WIP #2.

I need to work on WIP #1 tonight. But it's heavy on voice. Anyone want to banter with me?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing AugNoWriMo in an attempt to finish the fourth and final book in my urban fantasy series before it's time for Nanowrimo. I'm bang on target so far with a bit more than 5000 words for the first three days.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Go Ice_Twin and Parametric!

chompers, prep work totally counts

1. Finalise UF book 2.5/34
2. Fix Query.
3. Fix Synopsis.
4. Start agent list 2/20
6. Write something unrelated Started
7. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited per day Hitting
8. Read four books

I forgot one of my goals! I've done some on the agent list, but reading entire AW threads take time so not much ;p Did one of the chapter rewrites, now I just need to know whether it worked or not, so doesn't count as complete yet.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
So I ended up not writing yesterday. Like a couple minutes after I wrote that post, I was overcome with fatigue and I went to bed. I'm gonna do some writing right now. Or at least attempt to.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I, too, have written nothing since the month began. I had a nice little day-and-a-half vacation in Dauphin Island, where it was quiet and hot as hell and the motel had lousy internet. Back in Montgomery now for the final week of THE LITTLE MERMAID. Swear to God I'm going to get some writing done tomorrow, but not tonight - brain is tired.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Last month saw some goals hit... this month, the same goals all over again!

• Paper edit second half of TSD/SK
  • File edit the second half of TSD/SK
  • Write the synopsis
  • drink more wine

The wine-drinking goal did really well last month, so I'm bringing that one back.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
  • drink more wine

I need to add that one to my August goals.

Finally got some writing done today. Felt pretty good although it wasn't much, and with the closing weekend of my show coming up (and my travel back home) I know the weekend is going to be a bust.

Still reading Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell; still liking it, which is saying something because with a book this long my attention has usually begun to wane by now.

Write 10k words of final draft of Book #3 of fantasy series - 430 out of 10,000
Read three books - 0 of 3

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Finally wrote a little today. But I'm so tired every time I'm planning to write. I need to think of a way to write earlier in the day, because this isn't working. I'm only staying up tonight because it's been too long since I last wrote.

Day 5:

WIP #1: 38,733/70,000 (0 new words)
WIP #2: 49,335/100,000 (0 new words)

Series
Book 1: 7,526/50,000 (312 new words)
Book 2: 40,911/50,000 (67 new words)
Book 3: 2,252/50,000 (0 new words)
Book 4: 4,157/50,000 (0 new words)

Total new words: 379

Last edited:

Ice_Twin

Registered
Reaction score
Rawr. Well done to those who are sticking to their goals, i'm very impressed. Chompers i'm the same, so tired and my writing is suffering as a result. However, each day is a new start, so we just need to keep pressing on. :)

Managed to write a bit this morning before work.

4123/20k

I think I'll be happier when I reach the 5k mark, but work don't take to kindly to skiving off in order to write. :D

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I went back and rewrote a scene and actually decreased my word count slightly. :tongue But I finished Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, so that's progress in one arena.

Write 10k words of final draft of Book #3 of fantasy series - 398 out of 10,000
Read three books - 1 of 3

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
After about 6 weeks of writing nothing, I wrote nearly 4k today. However, it was for a new book idea, and not, in fact, for the 2 drafts I need to finish... But eh, whatever.

This new book idea won't be very long - maybe 20k. Can I pull off 50k this month? (That is, 20k for Little House, 20k for this new one, and 10k for the short story collection.)

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
4k is a very nice way to break your drought, Cliff Face. I don't think it matters that it's a new idea!

1. Finalise UF book 3 and two halves/34
2. Fix Query.
3. Fix Synopsis.
4. Start agent list 2/20
6. Write something unrelated Started
7. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited per day Hitting
8. Read four books 0/4

The two halves are separate chapters, which is why they don't make a whole. Got a bunch of (hopefully) nice books out of the library, just got to get around to reading them. Had planned on doing a whole bunch of stuff today, but ended up playing some game, watching some P&P, that sort of thing. Editing chapter 2 took longer than I expected anyway.

Ice_Twin

Registered
Reaction score
50k is a very ambitious target cliff face. Good luck, you can do it.

As for me, just 570 words today

4693/20k

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, both. :)

Ice Twin, I've hit 50k in a month a few times before (2 NaNos, once in May this year, possibly once more in previous years), so I know I can do it - if I make the effort, and am in the right headspace. :)

So... After I posted in here yesterday, I wrote some more after dinner. Finished the day with 7.6k words on that new idea. Woo! That's the most I've written in a single day all year! (It's not my highest daily count ever, though.)

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
July was a bust for me too. Moving sucks.

My only goal this month is to try to write at least a sentence a day. I need to get into the habit of writing again.

On a side note, I think I figured out how to revitalize my trunked paranormal novel. This will likely be my project for September. My fantasy novel has reach the status of being a coherent draft but it's not yet awesome enough to seek publication. I'm trying to be smarter with my word choices so that I can flesh out my story and characters more without raising my word count. Wish me luck.