Police Vehicles Get Religion

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
This is quite a trend.

Stone County, Missouri

A Missouri sheriff has slapped “In God We Trust” decals on patrol cars saying “there is no better time than now” to be displaying the national motto.

Rader said on Facebook July 21 that the decals were appropriate because “In God We Trust” became the national motto in 1956 and is on all U.S. currency.

So many wrongs justifying each other.

Lawrence County, Missouri

Lawrence County Sheriff Brad DeLay announced the placement on Friday, despite some controversy from individuals who say it has no place on government vehicles. "I am simply a proud American and patriot," said Sheriff DeLay. "I am proud to display our flag and national motto. I am proud to live in the greatest country in the world. If that offends you, so be it. This is my country, too."

That article mentions a third Missouri county that did the same.

Walton County, Florida

“We think it’s important for the citizens in this county to know what our core values are,” said Sheriff Mike Adkinson in the post.

That concerns me. There are some core values in his religion that don't bode well for people like me. And I would guess that there might just be a non-Christian or two on the force, but how welcome would they feel?

Lots more in Florida And still more.

"We've been planning this for a while," said Sheriff Haddock. "We're not doing this to offend anyone, and we're not pushing it on anyone, but the job we have, the things we deal with day after day, you have to believe in something. Faith in God is something in which we strongly believe, and we want to represent that."

Who is this "we?" Personal belief is one thing, but he is speaking for all who work for him.

One of the latest, Houston County, Alabama

“Whether you like it or not God is still in our life,” Valenza said while showing off the decals. “I look at it like this—the law of the world, in my opinion, is the Bible and the law of the land is law enforcement. We are put here for a reason, to help and protect the innocent.” The decals are in the shape of a Sheriff’s Office badge.Valenza points out that U.S. currency has the words “In God We Trust,” and said he’s proud to have a Biblical scripture on his vehicles
icon1.png

I could have added many more links. Yes, this is quite a trend. Why now? I don't believe these decals are Constitutional, but it's going to take a lawsuit or many lawsuits, I am sure.

Tora Uran

Registered
Reaction score
Website
amazon.com
This is the kind of thing that could end up going to the Supreme Court one day if someone takes that step to take it to court. It is something that does not seem like it should be legal because it confuses the separation of church and state and would make it look like there was government backed/sponsored religion, which is banned by the Constitution.

Honestly if they wanted to be religious I am certain they should just wear a cross necklace or something.

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
To help and protect the innocent? WTF? How do they do that, by shooting unarmed innocent people because if im not mistaken we are all innocent until proven guilty... yeah right.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
This reminds me - I need to track down a couple books I've seen go through the library on this kind of thing:

One Nation, Under Gods - a look at how America's non-Christian traditional roots

One Nation, Under God: How Corporate America Invented Christian America - the roots of the "traditional" Christian movement, and why so much money seems to be behind a supposedly down-home, grass-roots "tradition"

Unfortunately, a lie repeated often enough can bury any truth. Especially when the people repeating that lie have money - and guns. (My mother remembers when "Under God" was added to the Pledge of Allegiance and "In God We Trust" was added to the money, and it was predicted that it would become the proverbial camel's nose in the tent, a justification for further Christianization of the nation. Now it's on the cop cars... I keep hearing Christians say that that this kind of thing isn't supported by the "majority" of them, but where the heck is this majority now? Are they not speaking up until their particular version of Christianity is at odds with the increasing blending of church and state?)

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
This reminds me - I need to track down a couple books I've seen go through the library on this kind of thing:

One Nation, Under Gods - a look at how America's non-Christian traditional roots

One Nation, Under God: How Corporate America Invented Christian America - the roots of the "traditional" Christian movement, and why so much money seems to be behind a supposedly down-home, grass-roots "tradition"

Unfortunately, a lie repeated often enough can bury any truth. Especially when the people repeating that lie have money - and guns. (My mother remembers when "Under God" was added to the Pledge of Allegiance and "In God We Trust" was added to the money, and it was predicted that it would become the proverbial camel's nose in the tent, a justification for further Christianization of the nation. Now it's on the cop cars... I keep hearing Christians say that that this kind of thing isn't supported by the "majority" of them, but where the heck is this majority now? Are they not speaking up until their particular version of Christianity is at odds with the increasing blending of church and state?)

Well, they have to protect their rights.

They are a persecuted minority, after all.

...I'm afraid I can't find the post button, because my eyes have rolled out of my head.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
And now ambulances in one county will have "In God We Trust" stickers, too. One so far. But this idea seems to be contagious. This is what comes of having a religious national motto. It opens wider a door that should always have been closed.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't updated this thread, though I could have; the trend continues. But I wanted to share a new article because of the sheriff's comments:

"We're Americans, we're patriots, we're proud of it, we're police officers, and we believe in God and trust God in our lives," said Iberia Parish Sheriff Louis Ackal.

Sheriff Ackal says there's been no objection to the bumper stickers from anyone in the sheriff's office. He says some deputies are putting more than one bumper sticker on their car.

"Let the people know that these are your officers who protect your lives and property, and in their lives, there is a God. And if there is no God, then we don't have a good police officer, do we," Sheriff Ackal said.

Not much can be done as long as it's the national motto. Of course, the sheriff did not forget the obligatory "Don't like it, don't look" dismissal of those who may have an issue with the stickers. The video's not working, so I don't know if he closed with, "Neener neener."

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
"If there is no God, then we don't have a good police officer, do we?"

Is he saying police work is impossible without direct divine intervention or that atheists make bad cops.

Either way he mostly seems to be saying that he doesn't understand his job and should be replaced.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
It used to be available as a joke t-shirt: "In God We Trust. All others are checked through NCIC." It was funny then.

The slogan itself doesn't bother me, and I understand the sheriff's position that he thinks he should get a pass because it's on our money (but it's not our national motto). But a law enforcement agency isn't supposed to be looking for ways to be divisive. I saw way too much of the "F 'em if they can't take a joke" attitude when I was a cop, and I didn't like it then. It's worse now.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I find it disgusting that our national motto has the word "we" and "God" since some of us don't believe in any deities. I don't feel part of that "we." I prefer the original motto, which united us.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Then I want Barricade's logo on police cars too

barricade__s_symbol_by_xxhydraxx_zpsg0o9bn0l.jpg

heza

Registered
Reaction score
...This is my country, too."

But those aren't his personal vehicles.

...the law of the world, in my opinion, is the Bible and the law of the land is law enforcement.

And if there is no God, then we don't have a good police officer, do we

Both of these quotes are frightening, imo. It's one thing to believe in something, but I think it's another to feel, as an enforcer of the law, that your belief is law or that enforcers of the law must share your belief. I can't think of a muddier mix of church and state.

... but the job we have, the things we deal with day after day, you have to believe in something.

I don't think this is necessarily true. I don't think you have to believe in something to do this job, effectively—I mean, you could believe in yourself, I guess. But belief in a supernatural force isn't important. I do think that for people who already believe in a supernatural force, it can be very comforting and encouraging to have talismans around you, especially in such a dangerous job. For that reason, on a purely personal note, I don't begrudge people from having these stickers on their cars if they want them. But that also means I wouldn't mind someone from any religion or philosophy having a bumper sticker or decal that pertains to it on their car.

I do recognize, though, that in these southern states, the odds of a Satanist on the police force proudly displaying something alongside a Christian bumper sticker is small. A probable lack of religious diversity on the force would effect a display of stickers heavily weighted toward Christianity and read as endorsement. Therefore, it's probably better to not have them until such time as this Christian push blows over, the South becomes more religiously diversified, and religious persecution has become a thing of the past.

BoF

Cautious Daredevil
Registered
Reaction score
And now ambulances in one county will have "In God We Trust" stickers, too. One so far. But this idea seems to be contagious. This is what comes of having a religious national motto. It opens wider a door that should always have been closed.
We had a religious revival in this country during the 50s. "In God We Trust" was part of it. We added "Under God" to the "Pledge of Allegiance" In my opinion the pledge was bad enough without dragging god into the mix.

Jean Edward Smith, in his biography of Eisenhower, relates a funny story. Ezra Taft Benson, Sec. of Agriculture and a Mormon, talked Ike into starting cabinet meetings with a prayer. One morning Ike sauntered into the cabinet room and started the meeting. He forgot the prayer. Benson reminded Ike who snapped, "Someone say the goddamned prayer."

There are some definite parallels concerning the 50s and current time. It would be nice if someone had the balls to tell Kim Davis, Mike Huckabee, the Missouri police Department, Franklin Graham and far too many others, forget this meaningless nonsense.

Last edited:

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
It's a sobering moment when after growing up with the nice stories of jesus and angels and god, to realise one day that a LOT of people believe that nonsense.

Sometimes though, I'm not convinced they do. Like the couple that never went to church until they needed a good school.

I know this ain't the place to rant but reading these threads here lately. Arggh. Just Arggh. 'Cept maybe a sigh too.

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
I just returned from a trip to India, where 'God,' or different forms of god (whether the hindu deities, Christ, or in some places, Allah) are omnipresent in tangible form everywhere you go. Forget about temples and the hangy things in people's cars--we're talking "Ganesh Liquors," "Christ Luggage Repair," and "Buddha's Temple Tokens," (sold in the alley in front of a prominent Hindu temple (I kid you not) I guess when the radicals aren't fighting, they just accept everything and move on. My very Hindu uncle tosses in 'Yesu Christu' in his daily prayers because why not?

I wonder if we accepted more open religious diversity, we'd more be tolerant, rather than the approach of religion should be a personal thing you keep at home and at the church. Probably wouldn't work in America. I do remember seeing a "Jesus Loves You Hair Salon" in Ghana though, and thought it had the same laissez-faire attitude about it. Maybe if you live on a developing world, you only have time to gripe about so many non-food, health, and shelter-related things.

BoF

Cautious Daredevil
Registered
Reaction score
Can you guys take a break from cop bashing on September 11? Thanks ever so.
Sorry, but I don't see a lot of "cop bashing" going on in this thread. Placing religious slogans on county vehicles is never appropriate even on 9/11. What I would like to know is if the county commissioners in all three cases approved the respective sheriff's actions.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Can you guys take a break from cop bashing on September 11? Thanks ever so.
I don't see any at all. But since you do , maybe you could check back in tomorrow if you're interested in the topic. I am.

By the way, it's partly out of concern and respect for police officers, including the ones who don't believe in God, who the sheriff appears to be "bashing," if you must use that word, that I raise the issue.

Last edited:

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Muslims and LGBT and whoever else dissents with the cops' definition of God, better start running if you weren't already.

A lazy statement like this belies a lot of assumptions--that police can't be gay, Muslim, or Jewish; in fact, that cops are hostile rednecks. That's bashing, and it's astonishingly classist.

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
A lazy statement like this belies a lot of assumptions--that police can't be gay, Muslim, or Jewish; in fact, that cops are hostile rednecks. That's bashing, and it's astonishingly classist.

Speaking about what police do today, now, doesn't bash anyone based on 9/11. Cops come from the same groups as all--sure. But this is about specific cops, and communities, that are against what this country should be about.

At the same time, events of 14 years ago, don't seem to seep into different communities as they should. It hurts no one's memory to point that out.