Help from cat gurus!

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Brightdreamer, too funny about the name Floyd! We haven't come up with a name for her yet (son is leaning towards Pluto, daughter debating between Olive and Luna). Thank you so much for the tips on feeding and litter!! Since she's now chewing on fingers, I'm going to try some food smeared on the finger to get her used to the taste and texture...

Thank you so much cmhbob!! I never saw myself as a cat person, but now I think I'm a convert :).

Layla, that's a great idea about the clay litter--I bought some yesterday, because she seemed to think the crystals were for eating, which got me nervous--I'm planning a fairly intense "litter training" campaign this weekend :). Thank you!!

Tam, Mary and Rajah, that is too cute!! She hasn't started sucking on any blankets that I can see, but she definitely likes the warm fuzzy ones we wrap her in at night :).

Once again, huge thanks to everyone!!!

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
I try not to use Ammonia when cleaning around cats. Cats seem to think the ammonia smell means a strange cat peed (marked their turf) there. It can get messy. I've had a lot of luck with white vinegar for hard surfaces and baking soda for rugs ( sprinkle on the rug, rub in, let sit for 12 -24 hours, vaccum). Good kitty find, or rather lucky kitty, glad you found your people.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
My advice on the food: do not panic if it looks like he doesn't know how to eat. Indy licked food off a spoon and shoved his face into the plate trying to "suck" it into his mouth, necessitating combing after each meal... and then, one day, between breakfast and dinner, he started eating normally. I believe it's a development thing that cannot be rushed. (He was about 6 weeks, IIRC, when the lightbulb went off in his head.)

Ours has trouble drinking. I haven't seen him, yet, just get a normal drink of water. Every time, he shoves his whole face in, gets water up his nose, and then spends a few minutes snorting and sneezing before he finally gets the depth perception right. He doesn't seem to have any problem launching himself at stuff and landing properly, though.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
We've got water dishes on all 3 floors of our house, given how hot it's been this summer.