Illnesses that young children could catch?

stardustx

Dreaming about fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on plotting a short story. One of the side plots is that a mother of three young children is a little overwhelmed when her two youngest become ill, so her sister stays with her to help take care of them. But neither of the adults catch whatever it is that the children have.

What are some illnesses that children ages 1-6 could catch? Non-life-threatening illnesses, and illnesses that wouldn't normally be contagious to adults? I can only think of things like the chicken pox.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
Roseola? Most kids get this sometime in early childhood. It's a few days of high fever with no other symptoms, followed by a rash when the fever breaks. Since virtually everyone has it as a child, adults are generally immune.

lumin

Registered
Reaction score
Strep throat(virus which causes sudden fever, extreme soar throat, difficulty swallowing, and headaches) could be a good bet. It's not all that common even in children, which I guess would make it more harrowing for the mother since it's not entirely run-of-the-mill, but adults don't typically catch it. Or, you could use croup, which is a short respiratory illness that causes coughing and loss of voice and some difficulty breathing but goes away in a few days.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
What about a case of food poisoning? I guess it depends on how old the youngest is, whether it's eating food prepared away from home. But there's eating a sandwich with bad mayonnaise, or undercooked chicken fingers...the kids might get sick but it wouldn't be catching. There's also a question of how long you want the sickness to last.

My kids often got sick and I didn't catch it. Viral flu bugs, etc. I just had a more adapted immune system. I used to joke, "Well, I must have had that one before!" But if my kids both had the vomit/diarrhea virus, ugh...all hands on deck when it's coming out both ends. Man, I don't miss those days...

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Any of the diseases that we commonly vaccinate for these days--measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, diphtheria, whooping cough etc. All of these are on the rise because of the anti vax movement. And there are also parents who may not have properly or completely vaccinated their kids, either because of a move or change in health care providers (this was more common before portable medical records), or being forgetful, or they're too poor to have insurance (in the US) or whatever. And a small percentage of children can't be vaccinated because of health issues.

Of course, these diseases can be transmitted to adults who either never had them or are unvaccinated, but it's less common for adults (because most of us had it when we were little) to be in that situation (though becoming more common now that kids of anti vaxxers are growing up).

Oh, there's also a communicable disease that's common in young kids but not adults called "foot, hand and mouth disease." It's rarely serious, but it can be a pain. It often sweeps through day care centers or pre schools. If you need something unpleasant but not terribly dangerous to hit toddler or pre-school aged kids without making the adults sick, this may be a good one.

There's norovirus (aka the stomach "flu"), but that affects grown ups too (people don't seem to form lasting immunity to the most common strains). Also, rotavirus, which can be a source of diarrhea or vomiting illnesses in younger kids (less common in older kids or adults).

On the more serious end of things, there's various meningitis diseases, which most commonly affects teens and young adults. The viral form is generally far less serious than the bacterial kinds.

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Scarlet fever? You get it from strep, but it tend to be more common in kids.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
When and in what country does your story take place? If contemporary, most of the diseases mentioned above are vaccinated against now.

If even 15 or 20 years ago, Chicken Pox is a good one. If 50 years or more ago, take your pick.

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
Whooping cough - yes, there's a vaccine for it, but it's not a guarantee (says the parent whose kids were vaccinated and still got it).
Ditto chicken pox, the vaccine is not 100% guarantee.
Either of those you'd have to really explain that the kids were vaccinated, or give some reason for their catching it.

Strep is highly contagious, but many parents manage to not get it from their kids.

Mono - typically thought of as a teen disease, but can be caught younger, especially if someone has older siblings, cousins, etc, or a young aunt or uncle.

Honestly, just about any illness, if it hits two kids at the same time, could overwhelm a parent. Food poisoning is so short lived I can't imagine needing help.

Impetigo - highly contagious, but easy enough to prevent - would drive a parent bonkers. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/impetigo/basics/definition/con-20024185

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
FYI, my niece got scarlet fever a year ago or so. There's no vaccine. It's caused by group A streptococcus (aka, strep). It's no longer fatal like it was before the advent of antibiotics because...well, antibiotics.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hand, foot and mouth disease can be miserable or mild, as you choose. Spreads rapidly through children and daycares, can spread to adults but most are already well-exposed and immune to the causative viruses, and the illness will be over in days to a few weeks.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/hfm.html#

Added: I see Roxxsmom was already on it. It's a good one. Spreads quick through kids, and the sores can prevent them from walking or drinking enough to stay hydrated. They won't die, but it can be a rough course. No antibiotic will help (it's viral) and there isn't a vaccine against it. Does pass, though.

The other kid-specific(ish) ideas are good but have temporizing measures. Strep throat is usually much better after the first day of antibiotics. With roseola, kids are usually not as sick as you would expect with the fever. Croup is another viral hit for wee ones, but it's helped with a solid dose of corticosteroid.

Last edited:

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The rotavirus vaccine is a relatively new addition to childhood vaccine schedules (according to Wikipedia, it was only added in the US in 2006 and in the UK in 2013). Most adults would have caught it at some stage and so be immune. So depending on when and where the story is set, and how old the kids are, that could work.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mumps, measles and chicken pox. The traditional childhood maladies that all mothers used to face. To keep parents from getting them, just give them the same when they were kids.

Jeff

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Coxsackie virus, aka Fifth Disease (or Fifths Disease? Not sure). Mild fever, contagious among children but usually not caught by adults, shows up as a lacy red rash on the skin when the contagion stage is over.

stardustx

Dreaming about fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone, for all the suggestions and information. It's really helpful. It looks like I have a fair amount of options to choose from, depending on what might best fit my story. Thanks again. :)

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
When and in what country does your story take place? If contemporary, most of the diseases mentioned above are vaccinated against now.

This. Locations makes a huge difference.

Where I am - south Asia - the most common diseases would be malaria, dengue fever, chikungunya, swine flu (it's going around now, and most people I know have had it, including both myself and my husband, and it's naaaasty), and so on.

Dmbeucler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmbeucler.blogspot.com
The rotavirus vaccine is a relatively new addition to childhood vaccine schedules (according to Wikipedia, it was only added in the US in 2006 and in the UK in 2013). Most adults would have caught it at some stage and so be immune. So depending on when and where the story is set, and how old the kids are, that could work.
I will second this. My first son caught it at age 3. After vomiting from Tuesday till Friday morning I brought him to the doctor for a "just tell me it's normal" visit. It was brutal, but non fatal and he didn't require the hospital, although lots of children do.

Aerial

There is no spoon.
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of times, my kids would just get whatever virus was being passed around the daycare/school. They'd have a middling fever, maybe congestion and be overall miserable, but it was just ordinary kid stuff. They needed to stay home from school but it didn't really require seeing the doctor or any special treatment other than to keep them hydrated. I rarely ever caught whatever-it-was that time.

I don't know if your story needs some specific named illness. You might be better off with just the ordinary variety that doesn't raise any questions of vaccination/treatment/etc. It's still reasonable the mother might want help if she's got more than one sick kid, especially if she has any other obligations (work, ailing parents, whatever).