Arabic Speakers: how to spell these names?

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
So, um, I need some help here with the Arabic spelling of characters of my novel. Other than one Jewish person, all my characters are Palestinians. I can't read Arabic, so any automatic translations I don't trust... Could you write me the following names in Arabic? That'd be awesome :hooray:

Nadir (the version that means "deeply loved")
Nasreen
Ameer
Jamal
Saleem
Ugly

Thank you!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I see that no one has answered this question. You might try posting it in the International section.

I can speak a tiny bit of Arabic, but am illiterate in the language.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Ameer = Amir
Nasreen = Nasrin
Saleem = Salim
Nadir = Nadir or maybe Naadir
Jamal is Jamal

Bear in mind there are multiple ways to Romanize Arabic words, so different spellings are common. It can be confusing. Muslim/Moslem for example.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Thank you; I was actually looking for the Arabic writing. Isn't there a difference between the 2 spellings of Ameer? I thought one meant prince, and the other I don't remember, but definitely somehting different.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
When I lived in England, I helped an Iraqi student at a London University. His first name he spelled "Amer". I've seen "Saleem" also spelled "Salem". There may be some differences in preference among Arabic-speaking countries. I doubt there's a significant difference in meaning among the slightly variant spellings.

caw

Nuwanda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abigailftaylor.wordpress.com
http://www.islam101.com/quran/aralph_ph.jpg

Here's the alphabet for you. I took Arabic (Egyptian formal) a few years ago and names are spelled phonetically. The trick is knowing the connective letters and remember to go right to left.

I apologize I'm answering from my phone but I'll try and get an example going for you. It will also be best to cross reference with a fluid speaker. I'm going to write it out now and put in a second post what I think is right/close. :)

Nuwanda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abigailftaylor.wordpress.com
https://mobile.twitter.com/AbigailFTaylor/status/628172147731513344

Ok here's what I came up with. I wrote them in the order you have them here. The little "c" with the tail over the alif is a glottal stop. So if you're using a long "a" sound it should be removed. There's a few other symbols used to represent vowel sounds, since there aren't any vowels in Arabic. I'm not sure if they apply with these names but I think they do. I just can't remember the placement.

Sorry for the handwriting getting cramped at the end. Again, it has been a little since I took it, but hopefully it leads to the right direction :)

Indubitably

I Followed the Hair Loss Ads
Registered
Reaction score
You did pretty well, Nuwanda. :) Just a few corrections: Jamal (جمال), Nesreen or Nisreen (نسرين). "Nasreen," pronounced, is not the Arabic variant of that name, although some Arabs may romanize it that way. Romanization is never perfect.

ETA: D'oh. I saw you wanted the "deeply loved" definition for Nadir after the fact -usually romanized Nader- in which case the Arabic spelling is نادر . Don't mind my poor reading comprehension.

Last edited: