Are there negative views on Young Adult novels?

Booklover199

Registered
Reaction score
I was reading some contest details for a prestigious writing competition and one of the rules was no Young Adult. I thought this was really odd because they accept every other genre. I think some of the best works in literature (To Kill a Mockingbird, The Catcher in the Rye, The Diary of a Young Girl, etc) are YA.

Do people just think young adult is easy to write, and all about cheesy romance or something? I think it’s so much more!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It might just be that the contest is geared toward adult writing. It doesn't necessarily mean they have anything against YA. It's simply not what they are looking for.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Well, any genre and age category got people having negative/biased views against them, I would think. For example, there are people out there who think all romance is trashy, easy to write, and follow a formula. Some people look down on scifi/fantasy, and think scifi/fantasy are "dumbed down"/accessible for the masses kind of fiction that is not as good as literary. There are people out there who think it would be easy to write MG, etc.

For the contest, well...I don't know what writing contest you're talking about, but I guess it's only for adult fiction. It's not like they're accepting MG, either. Does that mean they have negative views against MG? No, I would think not. So, maybe they're just looking for adult fiction (which has multiple genres, just like YA).

Like how some publishers only accept YA but not adult fiction, while other publishers only accept adult Fiction and not YA. And then there are publishers (or sections of publishers?) that only accept MG, etc.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
As someone who is writing adult fantasy and repeatedly discovers that agents who say they take fantasy really seem to mean they take YA fantasy (judging from all their recent query requests, at least, or the details of their MSWLs), no I don't think there are any widely generalized negative views about YA in the publishing industry. It appears to be a very lucrative demographic, so lucrative, in fact, that the last pitmad and SFFpit contests I entered seemed to be dominated by YA tweets.

So it's possible there may be a few people who actually specialize in adult fiction, or who write it, who want to create a space where people who write adult fiction and people who are looking for it can connect. I don't think it's intended as a slur on YA at all. You might as well say that a pitch event that specializes in SFF or MG fiction is casting aspirations on other genres or on mainstream contemporary fiction or on other age demographics besides MG.

Agents and editors specialize in certain kinds of fiction, just like writers do is all.

And those classics you mention aren't actually YA in the modern sense, even if they have children or YA's as protagonists. They were written before YA existed as a separate marketing demographic for one thing, and the novel To Kill a Mockingbird had a protagonist who was younger than a teen (so by age alone, it would probably be MG), but it was narrated by adult Scout looking back on her childhood, not by Scout as a child or teen. So it would likely be classified as adult fiction, even if it were written today.

A teenaged protagonist is necessary, but not sufficient, for a story to be considered YA in today's market. There's a lot more to YA than just the age of the main pov character/protagonist.

I don't think you'll find many people commenting in the YA forum on AW who think YA is just about "cheesy romances," and in fact, if someone said that they'd be taken to task for not respecting their fellow writers (writers of YA and writers of romance).

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Well, any genre and age category got people having negative/biased views against them, I would think.

+1

People in the general public can have all sorts of negative opinions about all sorts of things... generally things they have little personal exposure to. (There are a few people who do take the time to explore and just don't care for it, but in my experience most people who say "All -fillinthegenre/thing- sucks!" are merely armchair critics.) Yes, I've encountered people who think all YA and MG fiction is crud that anyone could sneeze out.

These people do not matter to YA readers, YA writers, or YA publishers, who know better.

As for that contest, I'd say it just means they aren't looking for YA stories. It doesn't mean they personally don't like YA, it just means this isn't the contest for them. Just like holding a contest for World's Tastiest Donut doesn't mean the contest-holders hate other baked goods; that's just not the contest they're running.