Editing of poems

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yeppers.

to go back to the OP and address the question directly. yes, there are people who will take your money and tell you how your poem could be better. far preferable, if you don't completely trust your work is "ready" for whatever secondary purpose you have in mind, is to buddy up to a poet who knows their shit and ask for some honest advice.

Far preferable indeed.

I believe Trish has a point about bleeding colors. Any writer, regardless genre, has to be leery of taking on another writer's style.

That said, I love the crit forum for the differing viewpoints given on a poem. The obvious things of misspelled words and such being brought to the poet's notice are small in comparison to different ways to think about how to approach an area in a poem that is causing the poet concern. It is always the poet's decision whether to take the advice or discard it--or use it as a spring board to dive into deeper waters. Having other poets crit my poems hasn't changed my voice, only honed it, because of learning when to take advice and when to discard it. Whether I agree with the advice or not, it is always invaluable to me because it requires me to think. And thinking is never a bad thing, in my experience.

I am also interested in the Church of Poetry. It would probably pay better than poetry does now, for one thing.

This thread is indeed a silk purse, Rob. Well caught. :)

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And in light of Lisa's comment, I think what an editor does (and doesn't) has everything to do with poetry maintaining its integrity:
Well said. In a way, it was well-meaning editors who did those things that needed undoing. I'm fascinated by the notion of forensic editing; what a world words are.

It wasn't until I got to AW that I saw the word "redact" used. Previously, I'd only seen it on posters I bought as a student on a trip to the USSR. I remember seeing the word "redactor" on the small print (I made it out phonetically from the Cyrillic), and I'd assumed from the context that it meant "editor". And maybe it does, in Russian. But the parallel, when I realised it, amused me.

Trust Allah, but tie your camel, y'know?

Last edited:

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Redact is a great word. Remediate. Vetting is meant for cattle but the US government loves it some vetting.

Still on topic, I wonder if its because we (poets) are much more intimate with the poetry than we would be with, say, a long form novel. Novelists have little trepidation about being edited because that's an inherent part of the workflow and part of how a novel reaches a bookstore (self-publishing somewhat excluded here). I buy that intimacy, sure, but I have posted a few things here and the things people see that I don't have opened up my eyes in many ways -- structure, form, understanding.

I suppose my point still is salient: the right editor can help conjure more magic in your work.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I am trying to think of an instance where my words were changed or edited post acquisition pre-publication. I don't think it has ever happened. But I could very well be misremembering.

I do my first edit by READING OUT LOUD. That is the biggest staple in the poet's toolbox. The only one you should have outside of the musicality of words, knowledge of form and non-form and respect for both the sacred and the absurd. And you must respect also the divinity of the benign.

READ OUT LOUD. Poetry is the music and the non-music of words. You line them up for a different kind of battle as a poet than as you do as a prose writer. The poet should be more concerned with synchronicity of sound than with the meaning and accuracy of the message. Because message is obviously important, they should indeed get it right...don't get me wrong. Clarity of meaning is just as important in poetry as in prose. But I think it's also more open to the interpretation of the reader. The reader comes to a poem with a notion that he is about to jump. The poet's job is to give him something to relate to in his fall. But relate to in melody as well as in tone and message.

I think I might be high. Damn office supplies!

After you read your poem aloud ad nauseum, read it aloud again. And then gather together with your poetic brethren and break bread...using the words of your poems for the soup and the imperfection of your knowledge and wisdom as the bread. Sop up those words. Weigh them each, and measure their girth. Toss them back and forth. Do the hokey pokey with them.

Then...take turns reading the poem aloud to each other. Hear it from the lips of another. Take note of the sharp edges and file them down.

When you are finished doing these things, you will have crystal vision. Der. And you will also have something ready to submit for publication consideration.

Don't forget to kiss your poems. They too have feelings.

Last edited:

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
And then gather together with your poetic brethren and break bread...using the words of your poems for the soup and the imperfection of your knowledge and wisdom as the bread. Sop up those words. Weigh them each, and measure their girth. Toss them back and forth. Do the hokey pokey with them.
It's cute that you think this introverted extrovert has poetic brethren... IRL.

But more to your point, yes. I read my poetry aloud. To myself. And the cat.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
It's cute that you think this introverted extrovert has poetic brethren... IRL.

But more to your point, yes. I read my poetry aloud. To myself. And the cat.

The Cat always knows.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Ack! I hate the sound of my voice so much. I just listen to for the bad. I would hate to hear myself read them on a recorded device. This would involve alcohol and possible suicide. No.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Ack! I hate the sound of my voice so much. I just listen to for the bad. I would hate to hear myself read them on a recorded device. This would involve alcohol and possible suicide. No.

Excellent Post #104 and I totally agree along with practicing the methods of your recommendations!!! Also dislike my vocal recordings, though I do have one up at soundcloud (I keep meaning to re-record it - had a cold when I did it 1st time).

!

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I don't mind hearing my recorded voice, though it sounds a bit higher-pitched and somehow smaller than it sounds in my head while I'm speaking.

alaktas

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I would have never guessed that my original post would garner more than 100 replies.
In any case, I seem to have found the answer I was looking for by reading the replies here. Thanks

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
You mean that's it? We're done?

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Love this quote: "I say I edit Longley, but I don’t really,” says Robertson, “I just pat him on the back.”"

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Wordsworth and Coleridge were wretched, dismal, terrible editors; they both re-wrote. That's not editing.

And in the case of the two poets and their mutual works, Wordsworth was a jealous so-and-so and plagiarized his sister; Coleridge plagiarized to a degree that scholars are really only coming to terms with in the last ten or fifteen years.

Editing poetry or prose is about enhancing the author's voice, not drowning it, and comes with the author's STET as an operating assumption.

Last edited:

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Ezra is in for a penny, in for a pound. I approve of this message.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Wordsworth and Coleridge were wretched, dismal, terrible editors; they both re-wrote. That's not editing.

And in the case of the two poets and their mutual works, Wordsworth was a jealous so-and-so and plagiarized his sister; Coleridge plagiarized to a degree that scholars are really only coming to terms with in the last ten or fifteen years.

Editing poetry or prose is about enhancing the author's voice, not drowning it, and comes with the author's STET as an operating assumption.

i absolutely love it when you get fire in the belly like this.

Steppe

Registered
Reaction score
Why shouldn't I continue to use my head's inside, to read my poetry? I like it in there! So does my poetry! I don't have a Western drawl in my mind. It's reads beautifully in there!

Last edited:

Madelyn

Registered
Reaction score
So the question arises, is the edited poem still the original poets? Shouldn't the one editing be considered a co-poet? Pointing out obvious errors of grammar (yuk?) or spelling is one thing, offering new ways to say a thing is another.

When does the poem cease to be the original poets?

I think there may be a difference between directly editing someone's poem, and reading it over/offering advice on a poem.
Kylabelle provided the example of Pound and Eliot. By pointing out that a line was "too penty", Ezra Pound was not directly changing the poem, but showing Eliot where a weakness was lying.

In this way, I say most definitely poetry needs to be revised/edited. A lot of poetry is trying to convey a moment of sensation in the most accurate or potent way possible. Because of this, and because the boundaries of literary technique is constantly being pushed, it's really important to make sure the heart of the piece isn't getting lost or confused by a reader who doesn't know what the writer is thinking.

Having someone read over your poetry, even if they never edit, and even if you never take their advice, it is always very helpful.

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Edited without permission? Spelling, yes. Layout, syntax, word choice, no.
Suggested changes, yes. On many occasions, but ultimately always my choice to commit to those.

I'm in agreement with william in an earlier post. Only the poet should make the final edits, suggestions and critique along the way should always be accounted for and viewed such that they provide insight, not carbon copy material.