Books too pricey for your budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I was trying to weed out my Amazon "save for later" list and realized a few of those books had been on it for years - and were likely to stay that way.

For instance, Wayne Barlowe's Inferno. Lovely fantasy art book. At two hundred dollars, completely out of my price range. The Anthropologist's Cookbook. This one sounds like so much fun, but the Kindle edition is $180.

I don't see what to do about these, other than to keep them on Amazon so I can be notified if the prices go down any, though they'd have to be discounted big-time to make a difference. And occasionally I find a great deal in thrift stores and used bookstores (a copy of Joe McGinniss's Blind Faith, over twenty dollars via Amazon.ca, for $3.50). Anyone else want books they can't afford, and if so, what are the books?

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
For twenty years I've been coveting Dougal Dixon's zoological art volumes After Man and Man After Man. Both are out of print. I'd always look for them in any used bookstore I went to. All the copies I could find on amazon were eye-boingingly expensive. In June, I checked amazon again on a whim and found there are now a bunch of used copies of After Man, so I bought one for about $9! Now I've resolved to keep checking to see if any used copies of Man After Man become available.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
I bought After Man when it was first released, and was lucky enough to find a relatively cheap copy of Man After Man. I don't remember how much it was, but I know I wouldn't have paid $45 for it (which is the cheapest it sells for on Amazon).

Best of luck, and yeah, sometimes all it takes is repeatedly checking. I wanted a copy of Eve Garnett's Holiday at the Dew Drop Inn for years, but I wasn't about to pay $40+. Then a copy went on sale for $3. It's not in the greatest condition, but I snapped it up. Keep looking - you never know what you'll find.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Save up. People are amazingly good at finding a way to own a computer, own a cell phone, getting the internet, owning a TV, etc., but a book costs too much. A two hundred dollar book is sixteen dollars and sixty-seven cents per month for a year. That's four dollars and change per week. Most people spend more than this on something to drink every day. Sixty-seven cents per day Fifty-five cents per day will get you that two hundred dollar book in one year.

Books don't cost too much, they simply aren't the priority everything else is, including coffee or soft drinks, or bottled water. or one lunch per week, or you name it.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Depends on how much money you're making. I've been unemployed for a while, so I don't have a TV or a cell phone. I also don't buy coffee, soft drinks or bottled water.

So it's not a question of me spending money on those things while not putting aside any for books. It's more a matter of how much I can reasonably afford to spend on books, and if I'm saving for the one two-hundred-dollar book, then that's fifty four-dollar books I'm missing out on.

Last edited:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If I really want it I manage to fit it into my budget. This applies most to hardcovers by certain authors that are on my 'A' list.

I buy most of my books on The Book Depository too. No taxes, no shipping cost, and good prices for the most part. I love them :)

Last edited:

tiakall

*lurk*
Registered
Reaction score
It's not as simple as "just save up for it". Not everyone spends tons of money on soft drinks and coffee. If I managed to save up $200 for a book, i.e., a treat to myself, I'd probably feel guilty over spending it and would want to throw that money in my savings instead. There's also the fact that one can get a lot more utility out of a cell phone or a computer than they can a book, and thus the money feels more "well-spent". (If we want apples to apples, I can buy a Kindle + lots of ebooks, or other paperback books, for the cost of one $200 book.) So I can totally understand not being able to shell out lots of money for one book.

To answer the OP's question, there's two volumes in a long-running series I own the rest of that strangely went out of print much faster than the others, and are only offered by used sellers for $150-200+. I keep them on my list to watch for any deals because I can't justify paying that for a book that was $10 new and is probably in worse condition (especially when none of that money will ever see the original author and publisher). It's reselling, not ticket scalping.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Save up. People are amazingly good at finding a way to own a computer, own a cell phone, getting the internet, owning a TV, etc., but a book costs too much.

Yes, a book can cost too much. Especially when the book in question is competing against other books that can be bought. $200 is too much? Why not buy the $15 book?

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have to have the Kindle edition? Paperback copies of The Anthropologists' Cookbook start at $2.97 on Amazon.com, and hardbacks at $19.95.

There are a few genealogy books I want that cost over $100. I'll probably save up for them--family press, small print runs. Not a lot of options there, but I do check eBay from time to time just in case.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
There are times when it's also worth trying Amazon.co.uk. Even with international shipping, I've scored some deals on books that sellers over here had priced too high.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I think that everyone who keeps pointing out a book can cost too much need to take into account things such as rarity, and whether the book is a first edition or not. For example, the first American edition of Blackstone's Commentaries on The Laws of England can run up to $20k. And considering the rariety of the books, it isn't too far fetched for them to be priced that high when in almost museum quality condition.

But a modern reprint using modern binding pratices? No, there's no way it is worth that much. Amazon has an awesome set recreated using modern binding techniques, with the 4 volumes packaged together. It's $280. Which is a lot for a set of books, but reasonable for a modern reprint of a 18th century first edition that stays faithful to the originals. Particularly when 12th editions from the early 19th century are generally $1,000 or more.

So book price isn't cut and dry. A single book being $300 is expensive. But if the book is that rare and out of print, as well as being in very good condition, it may well be worth it. If the book is an 18th century first edition and very rare, it is definitly worth more than $300.

Status
Not open for further replies.