Series pricing input

celoise

Truss me I iz lawyor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

How should you price the second book in a short story series of erotica? The first short story is published and selling relatively well through KDP and .99 cent sales here and there. So, when the second comes out, should it be priced at the $2.99 so the author can actually, ya know, make some money (and sort of riding on the cachet that the first one provides as proof of decent writing)? Or keep it .99 cents to maintain momentum? Uh, asking for a friend ...

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking only for myself, I won't pay more than a buck for a short story. I might pay $2.99 for a collection of four that are related and come to at least 25K all together, but I suspect a short story priced higher may price itself out of the market.

Maryn, notorious cheapskate

Tora Uran

Registered
Reaction score
Website
amazon.com
$2.99 seems to be the going rate for erotica, even for really short pieces. I don't see it hurting pricing the second book at $2.99 and seeing how that goes. The first book is meant to hopefully bring in readers that will want to move on to read the rest of the series after all so it would make sense for it to be priced lower than the rest.

I know I'm planning on temporarily discounting the first book of my series for each new volume I add to it until I have enough to bundle together. Then I will either drop it to always being .99 or make perma free to hopefully bring in readers that will either go on to getting the rest of the series or the bundle.

celoise

Truss me I iz lawyor
Registered
Reaction score
I totally understand not wanting to pay more than .99 cents for a short story. I was just sort of going by what Tora says re the erotica being priced at $2.99 as a general rule. Though I'm still afraid of scaring readers off at the higher price point. Maybe I can start at .99 and if it picks up, go up a bit . . . :Shrug:

Writers Choice

Registered
Reaction score
Well, how short is short? Some short stories are five pages. There are others that are considered short stories but was like 120 pages; which I thought was too long. What do I know, I haven't even published my first manuscript yet.

If it's a really good short story between 20 to 30 pages, I would pay $1.99.
If it's a really good short story between 30 to 50 pages, I would pay $2.99.

That's just me. I would rather pay for a good book/short story that has been edited and proofread then a freebie with incoherent/repetitive sentences.

Tora Uran

Registered
Reaction score
Website
amazon.com
The problem with the $1.99 pricing is that it apparently is a deadzone for sales. For some unknown reason shorts sell well at either .99 or $2.99 but not at any other price.

Chastity

Registered
Reaction score
For what its worth, here's my experience: I have one very short (5.6k) erotica title published on Amazon priced at 2.99. Its been available for about 5 days now and sold 1 copy very soon after publishing. Judging by the KENP read, five or six people have borrowed and read it. Personally, I consider this a win since I had zero marketing.

I have no data to back this up but I think that pricing your shorts at $2.99 tells people that you put a high value on your work, and it looks like a better deal to KU subscribers.

Tora Uran

Registered
Reaction score
Website
amazon.com
From what I've heard when it comes to erotica pricing matters quite a bit with how people will perceive your work. The 2.99 price point conveys that it is something worth checking out unlike the .99 which gives off the vibe that you as the author have little faith in it so it is probably bad. Of course this changes quite a bit in other genres but this seems to be the norm for erotica.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
The general consensus for self-published erotica is $2.99 and up, no matter how short it is. Like Tora said, it makes it look like your title's worth something. $1.99 is a price point you want to stay away from, and in all honesty, a free book would serve you better than one priced at $.99.

At least, this is what I've read on KB and DD.

celoise

Truss me I iz lawyor
Registered
Reaction score
Good points, E.S. I've priced the first at .99 and the next two at $2.99. I may raise the price on the first one or zero it out in the future, depending on sales, I suppose. But they seem to be moving pretty well. In the top 100 BDSM erotica on Amazon (for now at least). I'm kinda stressing myself out about it. *sigh* I just need to let it go for a while and see what happens.

Thanks for all the input!

MiloMinderbinder

Registered
Reaction score
My first short (7.8k) went on sale Monday. I priced it at $.99. Seven sales so far. In the future I will go with $2.99, except for the first book in any series.