List of things my heroine would find different when she goes back in time to Edwardian England

Status
Not open for further replies.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Yeah, I've been researching Edwardian medicine. They knew about germs. They'd even identified many of the little buggers that cause various diseases, like tuberculosis. They knew to wash hands, and they had antiseptics. The risk of infection was greatly, greatly reduced. The problem is that, while they knew what caused diseases, they didn't really know what to do about them once caught. So, they could see the tubercle bacillus (myobacterium tuberulosis), but they still had no antibiotics to kill it. They could only treat the person until he/she died.

ETA: Yeah, bleeding really stopped being a thing by the middle of the 19th century.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Actually, the smell and the shaving thing are somewhat myths too.

People back then still washed their smelly bits daily even if they didn't take full baths as often. Women's dresses as far back as the 1840s had waterproof pads sewn in the armpits to protect them from perspiration, and the absorbent undergarments under them were changed daily. Odorono, the first anti-perspirant, was marketed in 1910, although it did not catch on until the Atlantic City Expo of 1912.

As for shaving, Isadora Duncan popularized pseudo-Greek interpretive dance starting around the turn of the century, and both her daring sleeveless dresses and her bald armpits were taken up by the avant-garde. Gilette safety razors were patented in 1904, and suddenly shaving could be done easily by holding a dainty little handle rather than a dangerous machete, as it were. American and British women started shaving their body hair pretty much the instant there was a possibility their body hair could show in public.

Last edited:

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
Yes, women did not go barelegged in the Edwardian era. You wore stockings or you weren't fully dressed. Also, it's not like all women look like hairy bears just because they don't shave. I shave my legs because you're supposed to, but you'd have to curl up real close to see if I didn't. I once went to a salon for a waxing of my legs and afterwards the girl said: "You know, if I were you, I wouldn't bother with this. Just take a pair of tweezers and pull out the three hairs you have." That's about how much hair on my legs I have.

And Edwardian medicine was pretty well advanced. What Belle describes sounds more like 18th century than early 20th century medicine. The single biggest difference was that they didn't have antibiotics, so bacterial diseases were often fatal, not because you didn't know what they were but because you had no treatment for them. My great-grandfather died as late as 1935 from pneumonia because he refused to use the young doctor who prescribed sulfa for bacterial infections and relied on the old one who had no remedies. But the Edwardians performed pretty advanced surgery and had a very good idea about the causes and transmission of diseases. Of course, you could buy lots of drugs (like morphine) in the pharmacy without a prescription so you had plenty of opportunity to treat yourself in a way you couldn't do today (and just think of all those old mysteries, where access to arsenic and other poisons is very liberal).

I think the forms of communication would strike someone someone used to ubiquitous mobile phones and internet as unfamiliar. You had phones and telegrams, but far from everyone had a phone, and it wasn't used for communication nearly as much as later. Letters were still the major form of communication, and at least in London, the post came 3 times a day. News didn't really spread until today's newspaper edition had been printed and distributed, and while wireless communication was available, it wasn't a major form of communication. You just have to look at the spies of WWI (which I am currently reading about) to realise that they almost exclusively communicated with HQ by letter, no matter nationality.

Also, things I think would be noticeably different: how so many things were done manually and required much greater manual labour (labour was still pretty cheap), the abject poverty of the those dwelling in the underbelly of the cities, seeing children working hard, the lack of traffic noise, the sound of clattering of hooves and wheels on stone, the way at least English cities were black from the soot of hundreds of thousands of coal fires, the stiffness and formality of of clothing with starched collars and top hats and huge hats (and stockings :) )... And people spoke differently – not just in terms of word choice, but in terms of accents. In many countries, regional differences were much greater, class was more noticeable, and often it just sounded... Different. You only have to go back to the 1950s here in Sweden for people to sound really different with much, much clearer diction and people in the early 20th century would think I sounded really weird. For English, just compare modern "educated" English with the way the upper classes spoke in the Edwardian era - demonstrated here by Herbert Henry Asquith.

Another thing: everything was much more seasonal. That might be more or less noticeable depending on where your character is, but here in Sweden fresh produce and fresh flowers simply weren't available in the the winter, no matter how much money you had. Not even hothouses managed to produce things in our cold and, most of all, extremely dark, climate (if you have 2 hours of daylight and no artificial sunlight, things won't grow) and importing things in an era where transport took time and you couldn't deep-freeze things for the transport, meant that you were very limited in what was available to buy.

But in general, I'd think Evangeline is our resident expert on the Edwardian era. If you haven't looked at her site The Edwardian Promenade you really should.

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
Ha, thanks for the endorsement, Flicka. You all have covered most, if not all, the bases. It's up to the OP with regards to her character's own personality and background.

crossword

Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot] yes, I have read some of Evangeline's blog. [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Evangeline, I wondered from where you learned so much about the Edwardian era? Any special books?[/FONT]

Evangeline

Twirling in a glass of champagne
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.edwardianpromenade.com
[FONT=&quot] yes, I have read some of Evangeline's blog. [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Evangeline, I wondered from where you learned so much about the Edwardian era? Any special books?[/FONT]

Reading tons of books and magazines, looking at photographs and maps, visiting museums, and watching period dramas and history documentaries over the past eight years! And I still find new things to learn.

For basic reading, I'd recommend Jane Ridley's recent biography of King Edward VII; High Society by Pamela Horn; Edwardian Women by Duncan Crow; Edwardian Life and Leisure by Ronald Pearsall; and The Edwardians by John Hattersley.

If you're not too keen on reading Henry James and E.M. Forsters, the film adaptations of their novels will do in a pinch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.