How many times per week can I post something in Share Your Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Dog Smith

Registered
Reaction score
I was looking through the stickies and couldn't find an answer to this.

Is there a limit?

I was hoping I could post at least three or four pieces, no more than 1,500 words each, on a weekly basis.

Thanks for the help.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I was looking through the stickies and couldn't find an answer to this.

Is there a limit?

I was hoping I could post at least three or four pieces, no more than 1,500 words each, on a weekly basis.

Thanks for the help.

There's no official policy limiting it, but you're going to get less feedback.

I'd suggest picking one piece that you're sure you're ready to have critted (frequently people aren't ready for crit) and post that.

Then wait until the critters have at least a week to read and respond before you post another.

Mad Dog Smith

Registered
Reaction score
There's no official policy limiting it, but you're going to get less feedback.

I'd suggest picking one piece that you're sure you're ready to have critted (frequently people aren't ready for crit) and post that.

Then wait until the critters have at least a week to read and respond before you post another.

Ah, a week. I might have to post in larger installments then.

Thanks.

KateH

[insert witty title here]
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, a week. I might have to post in larger installments then.

Keep in mind that people may be less likely to critique longer sections. From the SYW 'Some advice for Newbies' thread:

23. Shorter works are more likely to get looked at than longer posts (2,500 words is about the maximum for getting comments, 1000 will get you more comments.)

Is there a reason you want to post so much in a short space of time?

Mad Dog Smith

Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind that people may be less likely to critique longer sections. From the SYW 'Some advice for Newbies' thread:

Is there a reason you want to post so much in a short space of time?

I got a rewrite to do in six weeks. I was hoping to get the whole thing through the wringer by that time. Probably won't make it but that's okay. I'm patient.

While I got you guys here ... what's the process for changing your title. I've seen people do it and put in parentheses that say, "New Chapter in Post #22," or, "rewrite in post 10."

Can't seem to figure it out myself.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
While I got you guys here ... what's the process for changing your title. I've seen people do it and put in parentheses that say, "New Chapter in Post #22," or, "rewrite in post 10."

Can't seem to figure it out myself.
On post #1 hit "edit" and then once the edit window pops up, click "go advanced". You can change the title there.

Mad Dog Smith

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you need a critique partner/beta reader, not SYW.

SYW is the best resource I got.

I don't know anybody in real life that has the kind of knowledge about this stuff that the SYW guys have.

On post #1 hit "edit" and then once the edit window pops up, click "go advanced". You can change the title there.

So cool, man. Thanks. I thought I was gonna have to bother the mods every time I needed to change it.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I got a rewrite to do in six weeks. I was hoping to get the whole thing through the wringer by that time. Probably won't make it but that's okay. I'm patient.

Often, posting the whole work isn't necessary; take lessons learned from one part and apply it to the whole. Say, if you're prone to excessive adverbs, or your MC comes across as spineless and annoying (when you were going for a witty rogue), that's something that shouldn't take the whole manuscript to get across. That's another reason why you might want to slow down, especially if you do plan on posting the whole thing - if you rush to post, and are repeating the same issues over and over again because you haven't taken the time to think through the advice given and apply it to the whole story, people will likely get frustrated and stop replying.

As others have said, you might consider a dedicated partner or beta - which you can search for right in this forum, under the Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies section. SYW's a good place to start, but it's not ultimately a substitute for a detailed manuscript beta/critique.

Mad Dog Smith

Registered
Reaction score
Often, posting the whole work isn't necessary; take lessons learned from one part and apply it to the whole. Say, if you're prone to excessive adverbs, or your MC comes across as spineless and annoying (when you were going for a witty rogue), that's something that shouldn't take the whole manuscript to get across. That's another reason why you might want to slow down, especially if you do plan on posting the whole thing - if you rush to post, and are repeating the same issues over and over again because you haven't taken the time to think through the advice given and apply it to the whole story, people will likely get frustrated and stop replying.

As others have said, you might consider a dedicated partner or beta - which you can search for right in this forum, under the Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies section. SYW's a good place to start, but it's not ultimately a substitute for a detailed manuscript beta/critique.

Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.