How long do publishers take to respond?

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of caveats. The publisher may not respond. It depends on the agent doing the submission. It depends on how busy they are.

However, with all that in mind, what are reasonable ranges for a response? 1-2 hours? :D 4-5 months? 1 week to three months? If you drew a bell curve, where would it peak and where would the 50% points be?

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
I've gotten rejections, expressions of interest, revision requests and offers in as little as a few hours. I've gotten rejections, expressions of interest, revision requests and offers in as long as a year.

I'd say most responses, positive or negative, come within 3-8 weeks.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Three to eight weeks sounds about right to me, also. Some publishers, like TOR for example, let you know up front that it could take a year. But for most non-Big 5 publishers, their time-frame is about the same as an agent's. When I was still querying publishers, many of them were nice enough to let me know when to expect an answer. Or if they seemed like they weren't too uptight, I would ask them. Otherwise, I would just send it and wait. If it gets to be three months and still no word, I'd send a nudge email. Good luck!

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
Most publishers will give you an idea of their response times in the Submissions section of their website.

The latest I submitted to replied in about 2 weeks, telling me it would take four months of more for them to review and decide.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I've been on sub with my agent for almost two months now, and we've gotten quite a few responses already. Final responses, not just "k thanks I'll take a look." So it's a lot faster than querying agents, for me, so far! YMMV of course.

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
Good to see this. My agent started subbing 4 weeks ago...not that I'm counting or anything.

Luzoni

Toddler wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience with my first book out on sub, it took a year for a positive response from a publisher. As for rejections, the first I got was in just two weeks. My second book out on sub has gone longer with only one upfront rejection, which came the same day my agent pitched it. It's been several weeks now on the second book. I'm hoping this means good rather than bad, as I've heard if one editor likes a book they have to pass it off to the next editor and then have an office meeting and then powwow some more, read tea leaves and search for auspicious signs from the publishing gods and all that jazz takes time.

Anyway...waiting. Always with the waiting, angry dude.