My Cat Gave Me Stitches... And Not The Laughing Kind

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Be glad your kitty doesn't have petting aggression. That'll cause a sweet, loving kitty, who is all 'oooh, yes, pets please,' to turn and gnaw the hand that's doling out what it desires, without much warning. They just get overloaded/overstimulated, like a toddler who's just had too much fun and excitement all day and goes ballistic with a meltdown. When a cat gets overstimulated they tip into that wide-pupil, purring-to-breathing, aaaaaaaaah! thing and when they're in that mode, same thing. They don't want to bite the people they love, it's not like they're conscious of it at that moment. When they want to bite you specifically, you know it, heh, and they're not usually trusting with those people. Sleeping next to you, exposing their bellies to you (which isn't an invitation to pet the belly, except from some rare cats, like it is in dogs), giving kitty kisses (looking you in the eye and blinking at you) are all big demonstrations of trust.

Yeah, he'll give me nose boops, almost never scratches or bites ME. He does, however gnaw on my husband and daughter a lot.

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I feel your pain. We just adopted a street cat--poor little thing who was half starved. Turns out she's a biter. She's bit my DH several times now. Bad wounds. It's mostly when she's sleeping and we startle her. I've no doubt it kept her alive in the wild. But until she settles in, she can't sleep in the bed with us. We turn in our sleep and wind up with punctures. :eek: It'll take some time, and I can't be mad at her. As everyone else has said, it's instinct. I won't give up on her, though. She's trying hard to suppress it. But I do flinch when her jaw opens. I have to work on that, but it's hard.

Yes, it's hard to not be spooked by any sudden moves. None of our pets were ever allowed in our rooms at night.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
His Irate Majesty will bite while purring. I think he's looking forward to the taste of human flesh.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
His Irate Majesty will bite while purring. I think he's looking forward to the taste of human flesh.
Right? My Chetzi - the Ass Hat - does this, too. He's purring softly, keeping his dripping cold nose (it gets drippy and ice cold when he's happy) pressed into my hand, just all sweet and wet like, and suddenly starts biting my hand. His eyes are squinting or dreamily staring a hole into space as he repeatedly chomps down as if he's chewing on a steak. He doesn't nibble. He goes CHOM CHOM CHOMP FOTHERMUCKER.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
When I tell him "No biting!" he backs off, but he makes chewing motions with his jaws. "Damn, all that tasty human flesh, and I can't get to it!"

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
After all these stories of bitey, chompy, chewy cats, let's spare a respectful thought for their poor mothers, who, I imagine, were very glad to see them weaned and out of the house.

My worse moment with my Old Kitty wasn't a bite, he was more of a claw-er.

My bed has a flat shelf on the top of the headboard, and he was accustomed to sit up there and nap or look out the window.
One morning, I'm lying there, and I feel a big furry paw land on my forehead. He's decided to come down, not along the sides (plenty of room on either side of me on the bed) but right down the middle - using me as a step.
One paw on my forehead, I'm not moving, the next on my chin, and all I can think is "Not the eyes, please, please, not the eyes" but I'm too scared to startle him by moving or saying anything. Then, magically, he leaps the rest of the way onto my stomach without the other paws touching down at all. I
had one little clawmark on my lip, apparently caused by the 'flying change' as he brought the backfeet across my face, but other than that, no damage.

And then he turns around and bumps my head with his, as though to say "Foolish human, I had it all planned out."
I hate to think what might have happened if I had been asleep, and turned or moved at the wrong time.

Last edited:

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch. I'm sorry to hear about your injury. It's completely understandable to be a little nervous around him after that, even if you logically know that it wasn't his fault and that he didn't mean to be aggressive toward you. On the bright side, at least this was an "extreme" situation that hopefully won't repeat itself.

I've had a few bitey cats in my life. Before I was born, my parents adopted a cat that seemed to think she was queen of the house. When I was born, she had no use for me except getting rides once I was old enough to push her around the house in a wagon. She was the type of cat that liked to knock stuff down just to spite you, and she had no problem smacking people with her paws and, occasionally, giving you a bite. She never really hurt me, except for a time when she knocked a file folder off a table I was playing under and it scratched my eye (and while she was very smart, I don't think she intended that outcome). But I grew up knowing to keep my distance from her. When I was two, we adopted another cat who was a total sweetheart, but she liked to bite. She had that petting aggression where one minute, she'd be happily letting you pet her and the next she'd be snapping her jaws. So I was careful around her, too.

When I was a little older, I got one of my current cats. He's very loving, but had a bit of a temper problem when he was younger. And he's always been prone to lashing out when he's stressed or scared. Sometimes he'd just be a jerk--I remember him trying to scratch me if I told him not to do something, and he tried to swat at my mom for telling him to get off a table. Sometimes he'd follow me around making angry noises like he was looking to start a fight with me. Other times, he'd just get scared, I think. He was scared of one of my uncles because he knew my uncle didn't like him, and one time when my uncle was over at our house, my cat jumped up and grabbed my arm, causing a puncture wound with one of his claws. I had a scar for a while. He mellowed out a lot with age, but even now as an old man, you have to be careful when he feels threatened. I had to take him to the vet recently for an ear infection, and I was so nervous that he was going to bite or scratch the vet. Most of the time, though, he's a total sweetheart who wants nothing more than to cuddle. Though, one time several years ago, he gave me a "love bite" on my nose in the middle of the night to try to wake me up, and while he didn't mean it aggressively, he drew blood a little. Since I'd been fast asleep, it was pretty startling and I freaked out (this was also around the same time that the story of a French woman who received a face transplant after being mauled by her dog was in the news, so my first thought was that my cat had bitten off my nose). I ran to the bathroom expecting to see a bunch of carnage, but it was just a little scratch. When I went back to bed, my poor cat was scared because I'd freaked out, so I ended up having to comfort him.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
After all these stories of bitey, chompy, chewy cats, let's spare a respectful thought for their poor mothers, who, I imagine, were very glad to see them weaned and out of the house.

My worse moment with my Old Kitty wasn't a bite, he was more of a claw-er.

My bed has a flat shelf on the top of the headboard, and he was accustomed to sit up there and nap or look out the window.
One morning, I'm lying there, and I feel a big furry paw land on my forehead. He's decided to come down, not along the sides (plenty of room on either side of me on the bed) but right down the middle - using me as a step.
One paw on my forehead, I'm not moving, the next on my chin, and all I can think is "Not the eyes, please, please, not the eyes" but I'm too scared to startle him by moving or saying anything. Then, magically, he leaps the rest of the way onto my stomach without the other paws touching down at all. I
had one little clawmark on my lip, apparently caused by the 'flying change' as he brought the backfeet across my face, but other than that, no damage.

And then he turns around and bumps my head with his, as though to say "Foolish human, I had it all planned out."
I hate to think what might have happened if I had been asleep, and turned or moved at the wrong time.
I had a good laugh! My Ravioli tends to walk all over me quite literally, and he's huge. Like 8 kilos, if not more. I can't bend over without that guy jumping on my back and taking me for a ride. I can buck all I want, he'll just sit there and be happy. He won't use his claws, mind you, unless I try to straighten up. If I weren't double-jointed and can pick him off with a bit of effort, I would have been late to work many times. He usually doesn't sneak up though, there's always an announcing "Mrrepf" or something.

Once I woke up with blood running down the side of my head. But, a LOT of blood. Like I got executed in my sleep. Another time, I witnessed how these things happen: Chetzi and Chutzpi, both with the Ch of Achmed, wanted to sleep with mommy. One on the pillow to my left, the other on the pillow to my right. You'd think that'd make a great arrangement, but Chetzi didn't agree. He wanted to be the only one snuggled against mommy's head so he started growling at poor Chutzpi. At some point he raised his paw to smack Chutzpi upside the head, so Chutzpi raised his in defense, and then they started smacking one-another in those super fast cat punches. Except, do you think their arms are long enough?

When I went back to bed, my poor cat was scared because I'd freaked out, so I ended up having to comfort him.
Awww poor baby :cry: When I accidentally step on one (I got 7) or get annoyed and yell at one or shoo one, I always feel so horrible I get up and chase them around all like "LET ME LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!"

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ridley is a jerk during vet visits. He always stayed barely under control, hissing and moaning while I held him firmly, but I'm having my doubts about his next visit.

The vet assistant refers to him as "The Terrible Cat."

They do home visits, so when he needs his shots next year, I think I'll explore that option.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Ridley is a jerk during vet visits. He always stayed barely under control, hissing and moaning while I held him firmly, but I'm having my doubts about his next visit.

They do home visits, so when he needs his shots next year, I think I'll explore that option.

Your cat ain't nuttin unless they get out the hawk-handling gloves. :ROFL:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Your cat ain't nuttin unless they get out the hawk-handling gloves. :ROFL:

Aaaah, cat gloves. Like water in the desert. Like a warm fire in a blizzard. Words cannot convey the depths of my affection for those kevlar arm-saving wonders.

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sutures came out today. The punctures in the left arm are coming along and only need a light dressing. However, the gash on the back of my right hand didn't close properly and it's still weeping a bit. The doctor had to take out the stitches because my body is rejecting them at this point, causing redness and irritation. She took the sutures out of the gash, but squeezed it closed with that tapey stuff. I have to go in Monday to have it checked by a nurse.

In other news, because I hadn't been there for a while, Doc assigned me a shitload of homework. Bloodwork, colon cancer screening, boob squishing, etc. At least she let me delay my physical until the fall!

Also, when my 92yo neighbour's son came by with his daughter, he immediately asked me, "Did you put the cat down?"

Of course not.

Thanks, everyone, for listening to my whining the last week or so. It made me feel better that I could vent without my kids worrying about posts on Twitter, Facebook, etc.

I still posted on social media, but I was nicer about it.

Last edited:

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com

This reminds me of my late Katzu. He looked like Garfield, but was very shy so it was hell to catch him. We had 8 cats at the time, and taking them all to the vet was ridiculous so we scheduled a home visit. Everyone vaccinated, only Katzu was left. My friend and I chased him through our 3 floor house, caught him on the couch where we tossed a blanket over him, threw ourselves down on the blanket, and had the vet give the shot through the fabric.

Good to hear you're healing; cat scratches can be nasty. I think I'm just immune from so much exposure...