When is your inciting incident? (Subtitle: my synopsis made me doubt myself)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Several points which have not yet been made.

There is no need to hit the reader with a huge amount of setup before the main action begins. The more usual practice is to give only the barest setup first, then layer in more details as they become necessary.

However, if you're good enough, you can make that big chunk of setup utterly fascinating. Some of the more successful writers manage it. Few of us are that good, of course, which is why we adopt the more usual practice.

To dissect every story: Each begins with the main character in some kind of ordinary life. It could be happy or unhappy, but it's reasonably stable. This is the setup.

Something happens which pushes the MC off balance (the inciting incident). S/he decides to do something to right the balance: set off on a journey to find a treasure, rescue a hostage, escape a horde of zombies.

Another thing not mentioned. There is no need for a perfectly linear progression from Setup through II through Cat Development Climax etc. Some writers start well after the beginning of the story, right in the middle of the action. Then they flashback to the II.

Or they never flashback at all. The II happened BEFORE the text of the story. It may not be mentioned at all. Or summarized with a single sentence.

I woke in my grave awfully confused, but I quickly began to dig myself out of it. I was dead. Now I was alive. Who cared how it came to be? I really wanted a drink and a snack. Maybe all in one. Images of pulsing throats filled my mind, fuelling the fury of my digging.

Is a big setup needed such as the one the original poster described? Probably. In the first draft. For the writer, but maybe not for the reader. Unless we are a super planner who outlines everything before we start to write, we probably need to get clear in our own head first what the setup is: the world, the people, the problems they face. Write it down as soon as it occurs to you.

You can always ignore it later, or shrink it, or re-distribute it throughout the text. But until you have a complete book you rarely know just what an animal it is in all its glory. THEN worry about the precise location of the II or whatever.

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
This whole conversation confuses me, lol.

I still don't understand catalyst vs inciting incident.

One character I have is kind of proactive, and goes to tryouts after some minor convincing from cousin. But the character loves the sport, and is willing to join the new team--after some convincing--with new teammates, leaving old teammates, after being recruited. The goal is to get to nationals, and there are some internal and external conflicts revolving around the team members. There are also some minor romance and friendship conflicts. I don't know what catalyst/inciting incident would be in my story.

I just think, goal, problem, solution, then new problem and repeat. I can't wrap my head around the story jargon.

Last edited:

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
This whole conversation confuses me, lol.

I still don't understand catalyst vs inciting incident.

One character I have is kind of proactive, and goes to tryouts after some minor convincing from cousin. But the character loves the sport, and is willing to join the new team--after some convincing--with new teammates, leaving old teammates, after being recruited. The goal is to get to nationals, and there are some internal and external conflicts revolving around the team members. There are also some minor romance and friendship conflicts. I don't know what catalyst/inciting incident would be in my story.

I just think, goal, problem, solution, then new problem and repeat. I can't wrap my head around the story jargon.

i'd say inciting incident is going to tryouts. Plot catalyst would be leaving old team for new.

in my head, the inciting incident is just that--is an event that gets things rolling and sets the stage for the plot catalyst. the catalyst is a choice or action made by the main character that forces them onto a certain path in the story. Make any sense?

Last edited:

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
i'd say inciting incident is going to tryouts. Plot catalyst would be leaving old team for new.

in my head, the inciting incident is just that--is an event that gets things rolling and sets the stage for the plot catalyst. the catalyst is a choice or action made by the main character that forces them onto a certain path in the story. Make any sense?
The part that's tripping me is: I wasn't sure if it's ok for my character to be proactive for the incident (going to tryouts). My character is a very impulsive character who charges ahead, even if she has doubts (and is reckless and stubborn).
It's how her personality works.

Is it still an inciting incident if she is actively choosing to go to tryouts? It sounds like some people are saying that the incident has to be out of the character's control and is something that happens to the character--not the character making it happen?

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
The part that's tripping me is: I wasn't sure if it's ok for my character to be proactive for the incident (going to tryouts).

I went back and read Roxxsmom's post where she introduced the word catalyst. I thought she described it pretty well. But I was confused by the word. I'd never heard it used that way. I've always heard story theorists use the word "decision" rather than "catalyst."

Don't confuse the inciting incident, which is the thing that disrupts business as usual for the main character, and the plot catalyst, which is the choice the character makes to follow things through (no way out but through).

Your proactive main character may go to any number of tryouts for a team.

But at THIS one something happens which is different. They get accepted. Or they get rejected hard. So hard they realize they need to change the way they approach their dream: to become a pro athlete or whatever. They decide on a new approach. That decision is what Roxxsmom calls a catalyst.

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification, Laer and Lady Leeona. :)

Rebekkamaria

Pixie with dust, beware
Registered
Reaction score
In my WIP, the inciting incident has happened before the book starts. The main character was kidnapped and the book starts right when he's managed to escape. I have a thing for books that start with already unsettled status quo. :)

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
The luxury of writing a novel means you have a lot more flexibility to explore a story without worrying where to place an inciting incident. I can see its strategic importance in screenplays, which generally are much more formally structured, but if you tell a good story in fiction all the required elements will automatically appear without fretting about stuff like this, and the editing process exists if you need to adjust them later. If you have a story, it already has a built-in inciting incident.

biggie321hp

Registered
Reaction score
In my book, at the end of the first chapter, the main character is arrested. He proceeds to kill two guards, completely by accident, and is given the options of death, imprisonment, or fighting in the Legion army. He chooses to fight in the army, and the story goes on from there (funnily enough---and I just noticed this for the first time---he only fights as a Legion soldier once in the entire book, and even in the second book, while he fights alongside them, he is not one of them).

Status
Not open for further replies.