Not open for further replies.

feyngirl

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alackoftheologyandgeometry.wordpress.com
Because it would be too implausible.

Today I was feeling really ropey at work. Had lunch and felt worse. Managed to make it to the toilets in time to be sick. Felt marginally better.

Went back to my desk. Saw I had an email in my writing folder. Thought, this will cheer me up, maybe my story got accepted. (I suffer from incurable optimism syndrome).

Of course it didn't. Instead I got my first rejection.

Go home, wallowing in self pity because I can't have one of the pre-mixed pina coladas I bought specifically in case my story got rejected. (Rejection + pina coladas doesn't beat acceptance, but it beats sober rejection by a mile. At least, so I assumed. I didn't get the chance to find out yet.)

Then I get a call from my mum. My grandmother died.

I just want to curl into a ball. I feel like if I leave any soft bits exposed today will find another way to pummel me.

feyngirl

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you, well today was also my first virtual hug! So it has something going for it.

The story rejection and the death were both things I was braced for, but in some ways it doesn't help a whole lot.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Thank you, well today was also my first virtual hug! So it has something going for it.

The story rejection and the death were both things I was braced for, but in some ways it doesn't help a whole lot.

Never does. A sledgehammer thrown at you from across the room doesn't hurt any less just because you saw it coming.

With submissions, as long as you keep putting stuff out there, you're bound to get an acceptance sometime. It gets easier every time, both sending it out and getting a rejection. Let yourself mourn as long as you need to, get well soon, have yourself that pina colada, and then get your story out to a new place knowing that the only place to go from the bottom of the slush pile is up. :)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:Here's another virtual hug, Honey. The cherished memories of your Grandmother will always be in your heart.

...And keep submitting that story - Don't let one rejection discourage you.

Signed,
Another Incurable Optimist

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Ouch! What a whammy. So sorry for your loss. Heal quickly from the illness, and cherish those memories of Grandma. And keep submitting! And keep writing!

And while you're at it, have another pina colada. Can't hurt.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't do virtual hugs. Instead, I do the virtual chair massage. Please pin your hair out of the way as needed while I put on some nice meandering spa music. Meet you at the chair.

Maryn, flexing her hands

feyngirl

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thankfully there was no pain for her at all. She didn't know what was happening, and the hospital and care home staff looked after her really well. For the last couple of years the person she was had been eaten away by dementia. She didn't just not know who people were, she didn't know if they were men or women or adults or children, and she couldn't communicate things she needed or wanted. It's still sad, but in many ways I feel she died two years ago. Her body was so strong it just kept going.

And on a more cheerful note you're right, I do need to keep submitting. It's just sad to imagine someone reading my story and not liking it. Maybe he'd already got a story about a space shuttle toilet engineer under his belt and felt two would be too many.

feyngirl

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't do virtual hugs. Instead, I do the virtual chair massage. Please pin your hair out of the way as needed while I put on some nice meandering spa music. Meet you at the chair.

Maryn, flexing her hands

That sounds fantastic, Maryn. Exactly what I need. And another first for today!

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I had a relationship breakup and a rejection of a full (I really, really had my hopes up, too) occur on the same day. Bad things so often seem to come in clumps. I feel your pain. Hang in there. And I'm very sorry about your grandmother.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry:Hug2:
I've had a bunch of bad stuff happen at once to me, too.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
:Cake: :Coffee: :Guitar: Here's food, drink and music. It will get better, just takes time...............What is a Victoria Sandwich?

feyngirl

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's really nice to hear that other people have had horrible clumps like this too and got through it. When it's happening it can feel like Fate is cackling and aiming things straight for you.

Safe for a while... ha. I think I'll avoid even thinking that!

A Victoria Sandwich is a cake made with flour, eggs, butter and sugar. You bake it in two halves (both round) and then coat one half with jam and one with buttercream and stick them together. It's different from a true sponge cake because it contains fat, which makes it taste great and also much more easy to cook (and also easier to teach in school, which is where I learned to bake). I guess the closest thing in the US might be the taste of plain sheet cake? If you stuck two of those together with jam and buttercream you'd get the general idea. Apparently it was the favourite cake of Queen Victoria, thus the name.

My Victoria Sandwich recipe never failed me until I went out to the US, where I was 7000 feet and so the rising process was completely and utterly different to what I was used to. My first attempt tried to escape from the baking tin, and the second collapsed. As soon as I came back to the UK I could bake them again (but it doesn't really make up for all the things I miss about the states).

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
Some days just absolutely blow, and the, "It can't get worse from here!" just don't do much for you. With that said, I'm sorry for your loss.

feyngirl

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sure - if I FedEx it, it should arrive within a week having been dropped in the ocean and been run over by a truck. It brings out the flavour.

But seriously, that's a good idea. I find baking very relaxing and therapeutic. Tomorrow though, as now it is time for bed.

feyngirl

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Some days just absolutely blow, and the, "It can't get worse from here!" just don't do much for you. With that said, I'm sorry for your loss.

Well, it's the first time I've ever shared anything like this with a forum, and the support really has made a difference. It made what would have been an absolutely awful day into an awful day with a bright point in it.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: What a crap day! I hope the sickness passes soon, and I'm so sorry for your loss. Take care.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
My oldest grand daughter was visiting me this weekend. I don't see her as often as we'd like and your experience has made me more aware of what the future may hold. I will see her again next summer and that visit will be longer than 2 days, thanks to your story. I sent her back to Ohio with a picnic basket --sandwiches, ginger ale, iced fudge cookies, grapes and cherries. How about I send you a virtual picnic basket? And don't worry about the rejection. They are a fact of the life you have chosen. Nothing ever softens the blow but no sense worrying once the story has been sent. --s6

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Hugs, Feyngirl. In the long run, the rejections are actually the easiest for me to deal with. Sickness is annoyance and/or grinding pain. I have elderly relatives, whom I worry about. But with rejections, I can at least snark and seethe, then move on.

AlidaLuts

Registered
Reaction score
Well that is just the worst day!! Sorry about your Grandma, and all the rest too.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
With submissions, as long as you keep putting stuff out there, you're bound to get an acceptance sometime. It gets easier every time, both sending it out and getting a rejection. Let yourself mourn as long as you need to, get well soon, have yourself that pina colada, and then get your story out to a new place knowing that the only place to go from the bottom of the slush pile is up. :)

I really, really wish all that were true, but, sadly, it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.