poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Review: Harper Lee’s ‘Go Set a Watchman’ Gives Atticus Finch a Dark Side

We remember Atticus Finch in Harper Lee’s 1960 classic, “To Kill a Mockingbird,” as that novel’s moral conscience: kind, wise, honorable, an avatar of integrity who used his gifts as a lawyer to defend a black man falsely accused of raping a white woman in a small Alabama town filled with prejudice and hatred in the 1930s. As indelibly played by Gregory Peck in the 1962 movie, he was the perfect man — the ideal father and a principled idealist, an enlightened, almost saintly believer in justice and fairness. In real life, people named their children after Atticus. People went to law school and became lawyers because of Atticus.

Shockingly, in Ms. Lee’s long-awaited novel, “Go Set a Watchman” (due out Tuesday), Atticus is a racist who once attended a Klan meeting, who says things like “the Negroes down here are still in their childhood as a people.” Or asks his daughter: “Do you want Negroes by the carload in our schools and churches and theaters? Do you want them in our world?”

In “Mockingbird,” a book once described by Oprah Winfrey as “our national novel,” Atticus praised American courts as “the great levelers,” dedicated to the proposition that “all men are created equal.” In “Watchman,” set in the 1950s in the era of the Brown v. Board of Education decision, he denounces the Supreme Court, says he wants his home state “to be left alone to keep house without advice from the NAACP” and describes N.A.A.C.P.-paid lawyers as “standing around like buzzards.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/11/b...tticus-finch-a-dark-side.html?smid=tw-nytimes
http://review.gawker.com/nyt-turns-out-atticus-is-a-racist-in-new-harper-lee-no-1717126836

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well isn't that just a ray of sunshine.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Hmm... are we entirely positive this is a legitimate Harper Lee "lost" manuscript, not in any way "massaged" for the market? Because the timing on this release, especially with that kind of alteration to a character, really seems a little... odd, shall we say.

Though people can and do change with time and wear, and one's childhood view of parents often needs modification from god to human as one grows up, this seems a little extreme without some manner of trigger, or series of triggers. But, I haven't read the new book, and it's been ages since I read TKaM.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
That's what happens when you go back and publish--with no edits--a novel that was written long before the one that became famous. We all know characters evolve as we write about them. Clearly this one did.

It might explain why she was reluctant to publish it after Mockingbird became so famous.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
The manuscript is an early, alternate version of what would later become To Kill a Mockingbird, and there’s a controversy brewing over its prior discovery more than three years ago. According to Sotheby’s, its rare-books expert also visited the safety deposit box with Carter back in October 2011, along with Lee’s then-literary agent, Samuel Pinkus. Carter insists she was out of the room when the two men read and discussed Watchman. Pinkus says he and Carter visited the safety deposit box at least one other time, and both knew about the second manuscript.

Carter has since released a statement denying his allegations. As she describes it, a discussion with Lee’s friends reminded her that “at some earlier time, I had seen mention of a character who did not make it through the final edit of Mockingbird. … I decided to check to see if maybe that character was in a second book. That is when I went back to the safe deposit box for a more careful look and discovered Go Set a Watchman.”

Soon after Watchman’s publication was announced, state authorities received an anonymous tip from someone close to Lee about potential elder abuse. An investigator from the Alabama Securities Commission, which mostly handles financial fraud, visited Lee at the Meadows. “We’re not medically trained. We don’t do mental capacity tests. But she knew she was publishing a book,” says Joseph Borg, director of the commission. “I don’t remember her exact words, but they were something like, ‘Why the hell would I write a book and not want it published?’ ” The state closed its investigation in April.

Burnham also visited Lee in February, along with Michael Morrison, president and publisher of HarperCollins. They returned the first week of July to present her with an advance copy of Watchman. They won’t share details of their visits, other than to say that Lee seems excited about her book and even picked out its cover. “I’m alive and kicking and happy as hell with the reactions to Watchman,” Lee said in a February statement provided by Carter and released by HarperCollins. “It isn’t secrecy,” says Burnham. “It’s out of respect for an author who wishes to remain private.”

Lee’s innermost circle is filled with her few remaining relatives and lifelong friends, many of whom have long-standing policies against talking publicly about their Nelle. Those who would talk to me said, yes, they had the same suspicions, but they’d only explain if I promised not to print what they said. When I asked one friend why she was so secretive, she told me to look up a specific line on a specific page in The Mockingbird Next Door, a book by former Chicago Tribune reporter Marja Mills about the time she spent living next to the Lees. It read: “Those who know don’t speak and those who speak don’t know.” Then she asked me how much I knew about Carter.

http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-harper-lee-go-set-a-watchman/

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I always felt the perfection of Atticus Finch's character was a major flaw of the book. It makes perfect sense to me that he should have a darker side.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I always suspected that a simple cheek swab would prove Calpurnia and Atticus to be first cousins. There are complexities in that first novel that people gloss over. I'd like to know more about Cal and Zeebo. --s6

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having a dark side is the inalienable right of all fictional characters.

I am most intrigued by the timing of this, if in fact the novel which helped to sensitize many to racism (Mockingbird) is being followed, so to speak, by one in which the hero is a racist, at this particular moment in US history....

Just very fascinating. The effects of this should be even more fascinating.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hold out the possibility still that it might bring more light than heat. To quote somebody or other.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I just ordered the book, and I'm going to wait to read the whole thing in context. But I'm also going into it with the realization that Lee may well have changed her intentions for Atticus's character when she wrote To Kill A Mockingbird.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And she may have changed, herself, over those years.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I just pre-ordered it on my Kindle. I'm not sure how I feel about it being published, but now that it's out there, I have to read it.

I am guessing both she and her character changed over the years.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
With Gregory Peck long deceased, and given that this novel is set about twenty years later than Mockingbird, who gets to play the older Atticus Finch in the inevitable movie?

How about Clint Eastwood?

caw

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I'm just hoping an alternate version of Ethan Frome eventually surfaces.

I'll write it for you, robo. Ethan will be a ne'er-do-well billionaire playboy bachelor, and Mattie Silver the rabid ferret who captures his heart at last.

Eta:

You're going to love what I do with The Scarlet Letter.

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Maybe it's me, maybe it's my mood, but I was irritated by the Reese narration and the damn train before the end of the first paragraph.

Eta:

Actually, it probably is me. I don't typically like books on tape.

Last edited: