New MS: Crime or Suspense?

VonAngel

without wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thesisterconnection.wordpress.com
Ok, firstly, let me say that my goal for my newest, unfinished MS is to have it serve as the final installment of a Family Saga. But since I'll be pitching this one first, I need it to stand alone (which it can) and be marketable. The problem I'm running into is the genre. It's either crime or suspense, but I'd like you all's help in figuring out which one.

It's about a 32-year-old daughter seeking revenge against her father, crime boss of an old creole family, and against their rival family (white-collar criminals), that happens to be her in-laws. In the midst of serving [non-violent] revenge, she aims to learn why her family betrayed her and to bring down her own father for his criminal acts and countless murders, with the objective to convert the family business back to a legit status.

When I read revenge, I typically see suspense attached to it, and I can see that in my MS. But b/c of the crimes involved and their solutions, I'm thinking crime fiction.

Any advice?

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
What's the focus of the conflict? Of the main story arc?

If it's on the criminal aspects - crime. If it's more on the family dynamic (who just happen to be criminal) - suspense.

Whats moves the story ahead? The criminal element, or the other drama?

The two genres often overlap, which is the primary feeling of your novel?

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I tend not to think of "suspense" as a genre, but as an element of most novels that keeps the reader turning. The intensity of the suspense, for me, defines the story as mystery or thriller, or if it's heavy into the actual crime, a procedural or crime story, depending if you focus on the detective or the criminal as the MC. That said, I wouldn't get too caught up in labeling your story. Yes, you'll need to identify it in your query, so you can label it as crime as a broad-reaching genre. If you have some type of police uncovering clues, then maybe "detective" or "procedural," or if it's being solved by a non-professional average citizen maybe a "mystery" if the MC is uncovering clues, or a "thriller" if there is eminent danger constantly and the MC is constantly escaping death and battling a force hunting him/her down.

ironpony

Registered
Reaction score
Is the protagonist's revenge the main focus of the second and third act, or the crime of the mob? If it's the latter I would say crime, but if it's the former, revenge. But I would need other opinions on this as well?

VonAngel

without wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thesisterconnection.wordpress.com
Hmm...it's certainly not a detective or procedural novel, and my MC is not the criminal (however, she has played her role in the crime family). It's definitely not a mystery or thriller.

ironpony - Revenge is the focus of the entire novel, but I don't believe revenge is a genre. And just to be clear, the crime family is not the mob or part of one.

Most of the MS is told from the MC's POV, but I veered from it in 4 chapters, in which schemes and deceit take place, and tell the story from the 2 rival families' POVs.

From what the others have said, crime fiction seems to fit it best, at least for querying purposes.

Last edited:

AnthonyDavid11

Registered
Reaction score
This definitely sounds like crime fiction to me. You have the mob boss father and all the murders and corruption going on. And of course, the daughter I assume is either going to get him or not which is technically another crime, even if warranted. So, I would go with crime fiction.