Hello! *wipes feet carefully on welcome mat*

Artemissed

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,
Been hauled here by the ear by a very successful author mate of mine. My best friend. I've been peacefully scribbling things for a bit now - whenever my children, work, bills, bills, 3 dogs, difficult husband, debts, cat, disabled mother and a crippling case of procrastination allow. I managed to actually finish one short story. Like properly finish it. Full stop at the end and everything. I gather here is where I might find out the best places to send it to.

You all seem like a jolly nice bunch of kind loons. Thank you for the welcome.

I'm now off to watch some total crud on TV instead of writing. *hangs head*

Jack Lebowski

Registered
Reaction score
A big warm Hello to you new friend! There are plenty of places to procrastinate here. Or improve your writing skills. Whichever tickles your fancy. Poke around, and see what you find. And you are right, plenty of kind loons here!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Artemissed

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome Jack Lebowski, Regdog and Booklover199. Very kind of you.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, we have a welcome mat? Then who was that welcome lady that came to my door? She did not give me a mat.

Oh well, welcome and have fun.

Writelock

Tribal Wanderer
Registered
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to what will become your personal support group, think tank, and insane asylum.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Interesting night. We've got one newbie who kicks the door down, and now one who carefully wipes her feet before entering. And so, I suppose, the eternal balance of nature is maintained.

Welcome. And take your shoes off next time. We're very fussy about the carpets.

Corsairs

Saying it twice for truth
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Artemissed! Excuse the splinters on the floor ... someone kicked in the door earlier.

Your friend steered you right. AW is a marvelous place. You'll certainly find all the support and encouragement. If you're looking to submit your work for review, I recommend first reviewing some of your peers' work. This will give you a chance to become familiar with the critiquing system, and give them a chance to get to know you. Dive right in and have a great time! :welcome:

Artemissed

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!

Wowzers. You lot are lovely! And - as they say in Ireland - a funny bunch of feckers. Thank you Writelock, TRobinson and Ladyxkaa.

Cheers for the advice Corsairs. That is the right way around to do things. I threw something down into flash fiction last night as a way of sneaking up on myself - didn't think about the reviewing process. I had been looking for a list of places to send a finished/edited short story to. Also - have you a tweezers? CassandraW says I can't wear shoes and there's splinters all over the gaff.

CassandraW - I love, love your profile shot. Where is it from? I heart it enormously.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Thank you, Artemissed. This avatar was bestowed upon me by one of our supermods, Haggis. He's bestowed a couple of other silly ones on me (notably a slightly demented-looking baby wielding two axes), but I'm kind of in love with this one, which just feels like me somehow. I don't know where he got it.

If you see much of me around the forums (and I don't see how you can avoid it), you'll see that a few of the mods frequently take it upon themselves to attempt to improve upon my avatar, turning me into everything from a demonic gerbil to a pink sparkling anime dog-girl. As to why they do this to me...well, perhaps you are happier not knowing, at least until we break you in.

Artemissed

Registered
Reaction score
I get your love for it. Which naturally makes you an excellent kind of a person and I am now handing you my ice-cream for a share. I only licked half of it.
Thank you thehairymob. :hi:

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, and welcome, Artemissed.

Congrats on finishing your first short story.:Clap:

Artemissed

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Muse - fellow Irishman/woman. Can't seem to come up with a title for it though. But that's a bit like complaining I don't like the soap in on my all expenses paid holiday.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Muse - fellow Irishman/woman. Can't seem to come up with a title for it though. But that's a bit like complaining I don't like the soap in on my all expenses paid holiday.

:greenie

The title will come to you. Sometimes a line or a word in the story will present itself. The hard work is done, now it's time to get back to the drawing board and write another one.:poke:

JC4085

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! I'm new myself but I have been writing on and off for some time. Nothing published so this is my first actual run at that level of writing. I read (Wish I could remember where) that writing is like training for a race. You have to train every day and you have to write every day. Sticking with the writing was a challenge for me, but now I feel like I have committed myself. It also helps that I don't watch the idiot box... but still. Good luck to you!

Artemissed

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks JC and Muse - I'm remiss about keeping writing. There's so much going on here that if I get a moment a nap is all I want. The goggle/idiot box is one thing- but the internet is FAR worse!

oddparticle

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, procrastination, the writer's most persistent friend. (Well, this writer's, anyway.) Good job on finishing that first short story--I'm sure there are plenty more, waiting in the wings.