Changing POV in a short story - advice, please

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
My question is whether or not the following is too complicated or awkward for a 6K story.

I’m editing a short erotic story involving three main characters (all male). The shorter version is told from MC#1’s POV (in first person) and works well. To develop the other two characters more, I’ve restored a long section with only MC2 and MC3 that I had removed for length requirements in a previous submission. As it would be difficult to have MC1 tell this part of the story, I want to change to another POV. I think the story will benefit from the addition. Rather than change the narrating character, I’ve written that part in third person.

The basic structure: MC1 & MC2 are introduced; they work together. MC3 (MC2’s husband) shows up at the office and goes into another room with MC2. Naughtiness and foreshadowing happen. MC3 leaves. Circumstances bring the three together in the main portion of the story.

If I leave out the section in question, readers learn almost nothing about MC2 because he’s forbidden to speak in the three-way BDSM scene. It still works, but I like the longer version and want to show the interpersonal dynamics of the trio. Does this sound too complex or awkward?

The original version had third person throughout, and I think it's weaker that way.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm of two minds. (What, only two?) Part of me thinks that two POVs in a short story is one too many. That part reminds me that first-person mysteries manage to convey information about things that happened without the POV character being there all the time, in many ways. (Plus they're fun to study.)

The other part of me recites the old saw, It's fine if it's done well and it works. But I'm not really on board with that, and I know you're a talented writer.

What might satisfy me is having more than one part with the secondary POV, each of them tying into your plot. It could be short. It could be entirely internal monologue or something else very different from the main POV. But I need to see it more than just at the place where the MC wasn't there. If the second POV only appears there, to me it's going to look like you couldn't figure out any other way to present the plot and character development in the scene(s).

Maryn, glad to see you, as always

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
Thanks, Maryn. That makes sense.

I should have mentioned that the part of the story with all three men interacting is one BDSM scene (3K words) with MC2 having only three lines. The story ends there.

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
... you couldn't figure out any other way to present the plot and character development in the scene(s).

I think that might be the case. The structure doesn't allow for dropping in pieces of other characters, not the type I want, primarily because the scene in question shows how they interact as spouses in private. I do want to show, not tell, this part.

Alternatives I see now:
~Change the whole thing to third person. It's a bit less powerful, but not bad. I have an earlier draft of that version saved.
~Drop the private scene with the other two characters. It's a good little story without it.
~Have MC1 overhear the interaction. *checks scene again* Oh, never mind. That would suck, and not in the good way.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, we can't have your story sucking, now, can we?

You might consider posting various approaches at SYW, explaining the nature of your concerns and that you're not after all-over critique (unless you are). Maybe even just certain sections with a summary of what's already happened, so readers can focus just on the troublesome parts.

Maryn, throwing out ideas

Sloane

Registered
Reaction score
OK, I'm going to answer this as an editor. I see nothing wrong with switching POV, and in fact I applaud the idea enthusiastically, with some conditions:

1) Make the voice of MC#3 different from the other voices! Don't let them all have the same speaking voice. (Mistake a lot of beginners make.)
2) I would also think of it as three parts - if you begin for example with MC#2, then change to MC#3, either finish by a wrap up with MC#2 again, or switch to MC#1. In other words, don't just do a 2-parter, or the structure will look awkward to the reader. Maryn said it well here:

What might satisfy me is having more than one part with the secondary POV, each of them tying into your plot. It could be short. It could be entirely internal monologue or something else very different from the main POV. But I need to see it more than just at the place where the MC wasn't there. If the second POV only appears there, to me it's going to look like you couldn't figure out any other way to present the plot and character development in the scene(s).

I also want to comment on your concern that MC#2 doesn't speak so you can't convey his emotions. Nonsense! Look at the way you are conveying his body language - gestures, eyes, hesitations, how forward or submissive he is, ways he shows confidence/nervousness/fear, even his grooming! - there are so many ways to tell the reader all about him without his ever having to speak. Even the things other characters say about him (even in his presence!) will show a lot about him. Use those things a lot, and your prose will be richer.

Last edited:

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
Thanks, Sloane, for the great advice.

My rarely-speaking character spends much of his time naked and in bondage, with his activities and movements limited, so he really won't get to express much in that scene, not the sorts of things that I want.

In order to submit something to an anthology on time and within the word limit, I changed it all to third person. I still prefer first person and will keep your guidance in mind when I next work on the series.

Last edited:

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Maryn that I'd accept it if and only if the POV switched throughout. Otherwise it's a little jarring and breaks the tone. It's what I'm doing with my current short (which I need to finish today, frick). Looks like you've already submitted this one, but something to keep in mind for the future.

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
Thanks, JetFueledCar.

If it's rejected again, I'll have another chance to work on the POV. It's been done in first person, with a slightly different premise, and with females, all without the troublesome scene. One version was selected as a backup for an anthology (in case the publisher wanted to replace a story). Since the most recent opportunity allowed longer stories, I was able to keep the scene with the other two characters.