• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

David Black Literary Agency

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I'm not questioning the legitimacy of the agency, but does anyone have any information on the genres they represent and their submission guidelines? Information online is sparse.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
David Black Agency

A published author who is represented by David Black referred me to his agent. As requested I sent a synopsis, outline and 5 chapters via email. That was a year ago. I guess they aren’t interested in my book—LOL.

If they have a website I couldn’t find it. They have been in business for a long time and have shopped at least one book to Kensington Press.

Michael

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Grr, ya beat me to it. :tongue

But, yes, AgentQuery looks to have the most info. Run a search on the agency to pull up all agents' guidelines.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
David Black

Thanks Stormie. I saw that page before. What I was searched for was a website. This page is a fact sheet which certainly answers the original question. The agent I wrote to only provided her email address so I couldn't even backtrack to a URL. I always find it interesting that in the age of ever faster communications and an ever faster flying buck that so many of these agents deal with snail mail. There are a slew of reasons offered every so often why this is so. All seem plausible but none (to my way of thinking) is reasonable.

Michael

DeePower

Some of the deals in 2006

UC Berkeley researcher Dacher Keltner's BORN TO BE GOOD: The Biology of Peace and Wellbeing, which shows through studies of facial expression and body language how the "ethical emotions," such as awe and gratitude, tell an untold story of human evolution, how benevolence is our basic nature, to Maria Guarnaschelli at Norton, in a good deal, by Linda Loewenthal at the David Black Literary Agency (World). [email protected]
s.gif
s.gif

22 March, 2006

s.gif
s.gif
Non-fiction:
Parenting Mallika Chopra's 100 QUESTIONS FROM MY BABY, an exploration of the questions young children ask, to Mariska Van Aalst at Rodale, in a very nice deal, by Linda Loewenthal at the David Black Literary Agency (NA).
[email protected]
s.gif
s.gif

20 March, 2006

s.gif
s.gif
Non-fiction:
General/Other Steve Lopez's IMAGINING BEETHOVEN, about how a chance encounter with a homeless man, who was a Julliard-trained violinist, triggers a personal reawakening for a Los Angeles Times reporter, and changes both of their lives forever, to Dan Conaway at Putnam, at auction, by David Black (NA). [email protected]
s.gif
s.gif

10 March, 2006

s.gif
s.gif
Non-fiction:
Cooking Jean Georges Executive Pastry Chef Johnny Iuzzini and Roy Finamore's DESSERT FOURPLAY, a dessert cookbook, to Rica Allannic at Clarkson Potter, by David Black at David Black Literary Agency (world).
s.gif
s.gif

4 March, 2006

s.gif
s.gif
Non-fiction:
Business/Investing/Finance Randy Cepuch's A WEEKEND WITH WARREN BUFFET, (and other shareholder meeting adventures), a personal finance travelogue for investors curious about how corporations relate to their owners on the one day of the year when the "welcome mat" is out, to John Oakes at Thunder's Mouth, by Joy Tutela at the David Black Literary Agency.
[email protected]
s.gif
s.gif

22 February, 2006

s.gif
s.gif
Non-fiction:
Religion/Spirituality Rev. Oliver "Buzz" Thomas's TEN THINGS YOUR MINISTER WANTED TO TELL YOU, BUT COULDN'T (Because He Needed the Job), a book that answers ten of the most vexing theological questions for Christians disaffected by the Fundamentalist movement, written by a Southern Baptist minister and lawyer who has represented most of America's Christian denominations, to Michael Flamini at St. Martin's, in a good deal, by Linda Lowenthal at David Black Literary Agency (world). [email protected]
s.gif
s.gif

25 January, 2006

s.gif
s.gif
Non-fiction:
Business/Investing/Finance Parlay Your IRA into a Family Fortune and The Retirement Savings Time Bomb...and How to Defuse It author Ed Slott's COMPLETE IRA CARE SOLUTION, a guide to retirement planning, to Ben Loehnen at Ballantine, by Joy Tutela at the David Black Literary Agency (NA).
Rights: [email protected]
s.gif
s.gif

19 January, 2006

s.gif
s.gif
Non-fiction:
General/Other Marketing and public relations expert Terrie Williams' IT JUST LOOKS LIKE I'M NOT HURTING, about the author's crippling depression which she kept hidden behind her "game face," as well as the larger, untold story of depression in Black American life told through the lives of both famous and ordinary people, to Beth Wareham at Scribner, in a significant deal, by Linda Loewenthal at David Black Literary Agency (world).
[email protected]
s.gif
s.gif

18 January, 2006

s.gif
s.gif
Non-fiction:
General/Other Columnist and illustrator Bob Eckstein's THE HISTORY OF THE SNOWMAN: From the Ice Age to the Flea Market, an account of the author's odyssey to uncover the frosty fellow's origins, to Ryan Fischer-Harbage at Simon Spotlight Entertainment, at auction, by Joy Tutela at the David Black Literary Agency (world).
[email protected]
s.gif
s.gif

4 January, 2006

s.gif
s.gif
Non-fiction:
History/Politics/Current Affairs Former Wonkette blogger Ana Marie Cox's first nonfiction book, on the next generation of political activists, again to Megan Lynch at Riverhead, reportedly for "mid-six-figures" (Washington Post), for publication in 2008, by Gary Morris at the David Black Agency (world).

Dee

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
As a Rule of Thumb, if the agent doesn't state "we'll get back to you by...", allow at least three months before inquiring about status. If they do give a expected response time, allow a least a month more before inquiring about status. If they don't respond to your request for status within two weeks, drop them to the bottom of your list and move on.

Whether they're too busy to respond or gremlins ate your email, chances are you'll land an agent before you get down to their name again (presuming you're querying effectively, of course).

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any recent experience with this agency?

White Ginger

Registered
Reaction score
joy tutela

I queried Ms. Tutela yesterday afternoon. I look forward to hearing from her.

Last edited:

White Ginger

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with David Black agency?

Last edited:

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
White Ginger - Sounds very promising. Congrats, and good luck.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Ms. Tutela yesterday afternoon and she immediately asked for the first 3 chapters of my novel. I was delighted and sent them off. Early this morning I received an email from her asking for the full ms.

She has been polite and incredibly speedy. I look forward to hearing from her.

Would you mind letting me know where you got her email address to query her? The pages I could find on her said to snail mail query.

Thanks, it would be nice of you:)

Last edited:

richcapo

Knight Templar
Registered
Reaction score
Just spoke to them about my situation at Random House. Despite not being open to queries, they asked for my full manuscript and told me they'd be in touch soon. Seem like a nice bunch of guys.

Similar happened with George Borchardt Agency. They didn't request the manuscript but directed me to submit to Mr. Borchardt despite his firm's no solicitation policy. Again, seem like a nice bunch of guys. Both they and David Black Agency were very willing to speak to me about what to do when you have no representation and a work under review by a publisher.

_Richard

Marika

Registered
Reaction score
I got a request for a full from Madeleine Metzler, who works with Antonella Iannarino, the day after I sent the query. And they sent me an email saying they'd received my full. I have to say that thus far I'm pretty impressed with their professionalism.

eileenmcilwain

almost published
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query along with my synopsis and the first ten pages of my manuscript to Antonella Iannarino on the 5th of June and received a partial request from Madeleine Metzler last night (26th June). I sent her my material straight away and she replied to let me know she received it. She did inform me that Antonella's reading list is currently very long, but they would do their best to get back to me in a timely manner. She also asked me to keep them in the loop of any competing offers, which is basic querying etiquette.

So far I'm impressed by their communication and professionalism. Their website has detailed information about each individual agent (e.g. what they're looking for and how to submit to them) which is always helpful for querying purposes. No point barking up the wrong tree! The agency states that its mission is to "help talented writers realize their creative vision and achieve their publishing goals." Fingers crossed Antonella is interested in helping me achieve mine!

HumbleScribe

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
David Black Literary -- response times to partials?

Haven't seen postings in this thread for almost a couple years, but wanted to check in.

Has anyone had a recent example of this agency's response time to 50-page partials (requested by them in response to their earlier receiving an initial 3-chapter submittal)?

I heard a few months ago from them (quite politely) during my current bit-over half-year wait that they're quite busy (sounds normal of successful agencies as theirs).

I've had agencies take a year to respond to only the query, so am used to long timeframes as anyone who has submitted to various agencies in recent years. Just curious whether anyone was getting responses sooner or later than half a year to partials invited by this agency in particular.

Thanks and best wishes to all on your submittals.

Last edited: