Ice Pop Mold Problems

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I like popsicles, but I don't like sucking on wooden sticks, so last week I bought a couple sets of ice pop molds. One set (jewels with ring-shaped handles) has a few holes in the sticks. The other (rockets with straight handles) has completely smooth sticks with no holes.

I tried them out a few days ago. After running the jewels under warm water and gently wiggling the handles, the jewels came out fine. After running the rockets under warm water and gently wiggling the handles, the sticks came out, but the rockets stayed in the mold. :(

I think the smooth sticks may be the rockets' problem, but I paid almost $17 for the set and I don't want to just throw 'em out. Can these molds be saved? Would it be wise to make our own holes in the sticks? Or should I chock these up to a lose and repurpose them for something else?

On side note, could anyone recommend a fruit-based no-sugar-added pop recipe I can share with both the kiddies and my diabetic dad? No wacky sweeteners, please.

Thanks in advance.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Are you using plain plastic molds that you just fill and put in the freezer, or those modern 'Zucco' things that have a freezing liquid inside the outer box (I've tried those, and been disappointed - too fiddley)?

With the plain plastic, yes, before giving up, I'd try drilling holes in the sticks. Use a hand-drill, as the softish plastic will probably jam a power tool. Make the holes small, so there's enough left to be a sturdy stick, and you'd only need two/three for the liquid to flow through. Wash the sticks really well after the drilling, in case there's any residue. If that doesn't work, then, maybe get another set (checking the sticks first) and repurpose the set.

To your other question, about the fruit-pops, I'm diabetic and if you don't want to mess around with sweeteners, how about just using fruit? Nice, juicy, fresh fruit. (You could use canned, in water or juice, for convenience or variety.)
Puree the preferred fruit, maybe a little water or milk (or yogurt or juice) to thin it for pouring/texture, anything that seems appropriate as spices, pour into pops to freeze. Applesauce and cinnamon is good, or pears and a very small dab of ginger. Essentially, the milder the fruit, the more you might want to add a little something. Really ripe peaches are nice. Because it's pretty much straight fruit, if you measure how much fruit goes into a pop mold, your dad can just count it as the equivalent in fruit.

There are books on ice-pop recipes, most of them are complicated or add sweeteners, but if your local library has any, you might try them for ideas. Or, on-line, I'm betting that some of the big on-line recipe places have ideas.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What Frimble said about the molds, though I'm wondering if the rocket ones were completely frozen, as I used to have molds and none had holes in the sticks and that didn't happen, so maybe they just weren't as solidly frozen as could be?

As to recipes, you can do stuff like mix a fruit base (either some plain chopped fruit or some fruit cooked down a little, but if you do that, I'd add at least a bit of apple juice or a spoon of agave or something) in with plain, unsweetened greek yogurt that you mix some vanilla (or orange or lemon or whatever the heck) extract into. If you mix up the yogurt with some extract first, then swirl in some fruit you'll get a swirly pop. You can do just yogurt with an extract (or not if you like the yogurt plain), or mixed with some coconut milk (not water) too.

Plain greek yogurt has a bunch of protein, not a lot of calories, no added sugar and it's thick and creamy and freezes well.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here are some recipes for all kinds of ice pops. Some should be what you're looking for, others not so much. But they do look good :D

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I'll look into these suggestions.

I partially solved the problem by buying a different brand of molds that had holes in the sticks. I kept the original molds, though, because I figured that if I could drill holes in the sticks I could make even more pops. :tongue

frimble3 said:
Are you using plain plastic molds that you just fill and put in the freezer, or those modern 'Zucco' things that have a freezing liquid inside the outer box (I've tried those, and been disappointed - too fiddley)
Yes, they're ordinary plastic molds. I saw the Zucco molds online and wasn't impressed.

With the plain plastic, yes, before giving up, I'd try drilling holes in the sticks. Use a hand-drill, as the softish plastic will probably jam a power tool. Make the holes small, so there's enough left to be a sturdy stick, and you'd only need two/three for the liquid to flow through. Wash the sticks really well after the drilling, in case there's any residue.
Sounds like a plan. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll make a mobile out of them! :greenie

To your other question, about the fruit-pops, I'm diabetic and if you don't want to mess around with sweeteners, how about just using fruit? Nice, juicy, fresh fruit.

[snip]

Because it's pretty much straight fruit, if you measure how much fruit goes into a pop mold, your dad can just count it as the equivalent in fruit.
Good points! I'll keep them in mind.

cornflake said:
What Frimble said about the molds, though I'm wondering if the rocket ones were completely frozen, as I used to have molds and none had holes in the sticks and that didn't happen, so maybe they just weren't as solidly frozen as could be?
I left them overnight in the freezer; that should make them pretty solid, I think. However, the suggested method for removing a stuck ice pop is to run the mold under warm water, so that may have something to do with the stick coming out.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
My dad drilled holes in a couple of the sticks with some tool on his Swiss Army knife and I tested the results with tap water and mango juice. The sticks stayed in and I didn't suck in any plastic bits, so it looks like it should work.

Thanks again, guys!

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Turns out third time is not a charm. I tried the molds again and the stick came out. :( I'm repurposing the entire set for regular ice cubes.